• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the things you wish you knew when starting out in this hobby?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

> What are the things you wish you knew when starting out in this hobby?

That most hifi-magazines are glorious advertisement peddlers, expensive doesn't equate good, subjective tests mean zilch and that the industry is full of shysters. All the better that ASR exists.

OP
W

Westsounds

That most hifi-magazines are glorious advertisement peddlers, expensive doesn't equate good, subjective tests mean zilch and that the industry is full of shysters. All the better that ASR exists.
hear! hear!

OP
W

Westsounds

There are for sure a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to hi-fi. Information, better knowledge and science does have a very nice way of ironing out some of those creases though.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
  • CD quality is enough
  • A well mastered CD can sound better then a 192/24 version
  • An outside analog DAC is better than any Digital input on an amp (via Pure Direct Modes).
  • Most SACDs are just DXD
  • MQA is a joke
  • HDMI for music is just bad in general.
  • An amp that can output 16bit content well is more important then if it can accept & handle anything above 44.1khz.
  • Most FLACs on streaming services are "dynamically compressed" and have poor QC.
  • John Darko & Hans Beekhuyzen are jackasses
  • CDs are cheaper and sound better than there record counterparts
That's all I can think for now

OP
W

Westsounds

• CD quality is enough
  • An outside analog DAC is better than any Digital input on an amp (via Pure Direct Modes).
  • MQA is a joke
  • An amp that can output 16bit content well is more important then if it can accept & handle anything above 44.1khz.
  • Most FLACs on streaming services are "dynamically compressed" and have poor QC.
That's all I can think for now
Like these
  • CD quality is enough
I'd agree. Redbook done well is the best we've ever had it and all we need.
Totally agree
Hmm, not sure a DAC is a DAC. I'm sure there are some good ones in amplifiers to match a good external.
I'll take your word for it.
  • MQA is a joke
I think it probably is but people still 'believe' it sounds better :)
I'll take your word for it. But the sounds (music) coming from my gaming systems to my TV to hifi sound pretty good to me.
I had no idea. Thanks
No idea again. Thanks
Yes! 100%
Hmm. Probably superior yes but I do like the sound of vinyl. It's does something CD's struggle to do no matter what DACs used.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Let me pls give you 100 likes at least.

Honken

I'll take your word for it. But the sounds (music) coming from my gaming systems to my TV to hifi sound pretty good to me.
I don't wish to put words into @ThatM1key's mouth, but I assume that he meant audio over HDMI IIS - something that is a bit of a hack at best.

Personally, I wish that I had opted for active speakers earlier, or at least spent less on electronics.

I mentioned in another thread that I had opted for NC400 amplifiers due to them being more or less endgame from an objective perspective (they are still up there in the SINAD charts, no?), whilst being attainable on my budget - endgame speakers to match would come later when I could afford that. Well, I don't know how the amps in my new active speakers measure, but I guess that they would measure quite a bit worse than the NC400s. Yet, the sound that comes out of these speakers is better in every way compared to my previous ones, leading me to believe that electronics don't really matter much as long as it isn't downright flawed in some way.

OP
W

Westsounds

leading me to believe that electronics don't really matter much as long as it isn't downright flawed in some way
This is my belief also. Which is kind of in a way why I'm against buying expensive powered (or activitie) speakers actually.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I don't wish to put words into @ThatM1key's mouth, but I assume that he meant audio over HDMI IIS - something that is a bit of a hack at best.

Personally, I wish that I had opted for active speakers earlier, or at least spent less on electronics.

I mentioned in another thread that I had opted for NC400 amplifiers due to them being more or less endgame from an objective perspective (they are still up there in the SINAD charts, no?), whilst being attainable on my budget - endgame speakers to match would come later when I could afford that. Well, I don't know how the amps in my new active speakers measure, but I guess that they would measure quite a bit worse than the NC400s. Yet, the sound that comes out of these speakers is better in every way compared to my previous ones, leading me to believe that electronics don't really matter much as long as it isn't downright flawed in some way.
I don't know what HDMI IIS is. What I meant by that was PC to AVR using an HDMI cable.
Hmm, not sure a DAC is a DAC. I'm sure there are some good ones in amplifiers to match a good external.
I know there's some AVR's that have good digital DAC's but one's I experienced sound better via analog (using an DAC) than HDMI/SPDIF In, both cases in Pure Direct Mode's. In term's of using Room EQ, the on-board DAC is gonna sound better due to that major digitization and that digital "workspace" for analog inputs ranges from 44.1khz to 96khz depending on your AVR, which results in a degraded signal.

I'm don't know how the process goes, but I think its DSD (Capture process) to DXD [PCM 352.8khz 24bit] (Edit process) to DSD (Final release). Some SACDs are even just 44.1khz 16bit or even 96khz 24bit converted to DSD.

Hmm. Probably superior yes but I do like the sound of vinyl. It's does something CD's struggle to do no matter what DACs used.
I should've explained that point better too. Old records prior to the 1970s didn't use digital master and were using "pure" analog masters. 1980s and above used digital masters. I'm gonna say this right out of the gate, there is nothing wrong using digital masters. The problem I have with records is mainly today's. A good chunk of todays records use the same master as the CD, so efficiently that means paying 2x-3x over the CD to have a inferior version & experience because its a novelty. Personally I didn't like the whole record playing experience because the CD always sounded more better for less effort & money. If you like record's that great. It's great seeing people be interested in hobbies I used to love.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This is my belief also. Which is kind of in a way why I'm against buying expensive powered (or activitie) speakers actually.
I 2nd this. Going with active speakers means your limiting your upgrade choices. Instead of upgrading a piece of your setup, now you gotta replace the whole active speakers or go out and build a setup with separated components.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How to make my horrible sounding room better. An i did.;)

Honken

I don't know what HDMI IIS is. What I meant by that was PC to AVR using an HDMI cable.
I see, I thought that you meant this.
I 2nd this. Going with active speakers means your limiting your upgrade choices. Instead of upgrading a piece of your setup, now you gotta replace the whole active speakers or go out and build a setup with separated components.
True, but if your position is that the electronics do not matter (to a point) - does the separate boxes upgrade path mean anything in the end?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
That ASR existed 30 years ago!

The following is JMHO. We need to continue to build out and expand our Membership and help spread the word across the Audiophile World. Think One person at a time and we will get there.

We can already see the ASR Effect changing how some products are designed and purpose built for performance over cosmetic preference.

Each new member represents an opportunity to expand the Science based consumer base. As more and more Consumers demand real measurable performance of their product purchases. The Trickle up theory.

We need to work harder at converting new Subjectivists Members. They are not our enemy. They have been tricked, just like most of us have been at one point and time in our lives. Try to reduce the hostile environment towards Subjectivist Members and property direct that energy towards the Vendors and Manufacturers whom push products with dubious claims and falsehoods.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The internet and ASR if only…. but as Adam said it isn’t too late.
Keith

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
True, but if your position is that the electronics do not matter (to a point) - does the separate boxes upgrade path mean anything in the end?
Electronics do matter. There is active speakers are built good all 'round but there is the "What If's". What If the amp dies, what if the drivers die, etc. That's why I like separating things instead having all-in-ones machines like AVR's & Active speakers.

wjp007

Like these
  • CD quality is enough
I'd agree. Redbook done well is the best we've ever had it and all we need.
Totally agree
  • MQA is a joke
I think it probably is but people still 'believe' it sounds better :)
I had no idea. Thanks
No idea again. Thanks
Yes! 100%
On the streaming services, from my listening Apple Music is clearly doing something to their content to make it louder (which supports your view on being compressed).

A few more to add:
1) Always spend most of your money on the speakers. In general I follow a 2-1 ratio. If you spend $2000 on speakers spend $1000 on AMP/DAC.

2) Speakers are the hardest to compare as each person has different tastes. I prefer the "B&W" sound profile. But many find them too harsh. Only you can determine which speakers sound good to you.

3) The speaker to room interaction can have a dramatic effect on the overall sound. A speaker that sounds great in one room will sound horrible in another. Which makes it very hard to compare things in a showroom. And most showrooms have very poor setups for doing A/B comparison (as they may have EQ on). The best is to bring the speakers to where you plan to use it and compare the units. And compare them without EQ. While modern EQ tools can do some amazing things, the less you need to correct with EQ, the better off you are.

4) Likewise the speaker to AMP interaction can also have an effect on the sound. It's important to match the two (look for impedance capabilities and if your speaker has lower sensitivity you need a more powerful AMP. If all things are equal get speakers with the highest sensitivity.

OP
W

Westsounds

I see, I thought that you meant this.

Forget about upgrade. Change if faulty or needed would have been a better way of putting it. Or if you just want more power,features, tubes....whatever.

Top Bottom