• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the most expensive headphones you own or have listened to?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think the aspiration to flatness apply to headphones as much as other things, simply because it is almost impossible to create one that would be truly flat – again, because of the individualistic Head-related transfer function. And target curves like Harman's is only a suggestion based on statistical preferences – not a rigid physical guideline for how to build headphones. You can make a headphone that is flatter, but not the flattest – and either way, not everybody would respond to it in the same way.

So what's left is making a headphone that tries to compromise the least while sounding as best it can. And by the way, comfort and ergonomics are also very important. There are a lot of tradeoffs to be made, and getting a headphone that ticks all the boxes requires research and development.

Of course, marketing is a big part of pricing, no doubt about it. I'm sure all headphones in the 1000$+ range cost tenth of their price in materials and labor. The thing is, companies that invest into research to produce headphones that sound good, are comfortable, and made out of quality materials – are the ones that will charge extra for it.

It's also important to realize that a lot of headphones by hifi brands that exist in the 300-600$ range are actually fucked up versions of their flagship headphones. Meaning, it's not that the Utopia is actually worth 4000$ and the Elear 800$, they probably have very similar cost to produce. It's that the Elear is intentionally sound just good enough so you'll want it, but badly enough so that you'll want more to buy the Utopia that is made without built-in flaws. The same is true for most of Hifiman and Audeze cans in my opinion.

So the price point of diminishing returns should take these factors into consideration, whether we like it or not. Yes, it probably is possible to create 300$ headphones that reaches all of our high-end goals – but no one is incentivized to make them.

Severian

Forum Donor
At this point I've heard the Stax lineup a few times each and I'd say that the L700s are my favorite of the bunch, and the best headphones I have heard.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What did/do you think of them compared to cheaper ones?

There seems to be a consensus here that there are no audible improvements for amps and DACs once you go past around $100 for each, so I'm wondering what the prevailing opinion here is for what the ... let's call it "audible threshold price limit" (ATPL) is for headphones. In my experience, the HD800 made a lot of other things hard to listen to. I feel like there's a significant character it keeps that make it better than other headphones even when it's EQ'd. I don't like how bright the stock HD800 is, at all. Yet, I'd have to take it over the lower-priced Audezes despite in a sense enjoying their flavor more. So in the Audeze line, I'd find it very difficult to live with an LCD-2 or 3, but I could be very happy with the 4. Currently, I've put an embarrassing amount of money into my headphone choices, while seeing no reason to go past the $200 for the basic Atom/KTB stack.
I don't much like listening to headphones but succumbed to a pair of Stax Lambda Pro signatures with energiser over 20 years ago.
They sound great but look a mess lying around so they are in storage and have been for years.
I did a "don't tell me the price" compare a few years ago and the ones that impressed me most on classical instrumental timbre were AKG Q701, better than the Sennheiser HD800 I thought.
I heard Verum 1 'phones last year and was sufficiently impressed to buy a pair and they are my favourite now and not as expensive as the name brands sold widely.

Soundstage

What are the most expensive headphones you own or have listened to ?

Listened to: Sennheiser HE-1
own: HD800 (with EQ)
Cheapest, best sounding alternatives to me a.t.m.:
Open:
Philips X2HR (modified)
Closed:
DT1770 (modified)
Regarding Closed headphones, would you pick the Ether CX over the DT1770? Thanks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I really can't say. Would have to live with it first.
It is about 3x as expensive though so does not qualify as cheapest best sounding.

Soundstage

I really can't say. Would have to live with it first.
It is about 3x as expensive though so does not qualify as cheapest best sounding.
The Ether CX is around USD 750 and the DT sells at USD450 (approximate figures).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Ether CX is around USD 750 and the DT sells at USD450 (approximate figures).

Yeah, mist the X after the C ... The Ether C is around € 1900.- the DT1770 is € 396
The Ether CX incl. tax would be around € 850 so still twice the price of the DT1770.

Anyway... haven't heard the Ether C nor the CX so can't tell if it is worth it.
Dan makes lightweight and great sounding headphones.

Soundstage

Yeah, mist the X after the C ... The Ether C is around € 1900.- the DT1770 is € 396
The Ether CX incl. tax would be around € 850 so still twice the price of the DT1770.

Anyway... haven't heard the Ether C nor the CX so can't tell if it is worth it.
Dan makes lightweight and great sounding headphones.
I thought you had... but thanks anyway. In Switzerland the CX is cheaper thanks to a better VAT and a good FX rate.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested to hear more about this comparison.
It was quick and, as always, I asked the guy demonstrating not to tell me the cost of the items I was comparing.
The Verum 1 he had was a personal purchase through crowd funding. The rest were commercial offerings chosen to demonstrate the NVA headphone amp.
I wanted to listen to planar magnetics on acoustical classical music.
My choice metric is instrumental timbre.
One of the headphones I preferred it to turned out to be very expensive. I think they were hifiman HE1000, though I could be wrong.
I had to wait months for mine to be delivered.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to AKG K812 and HD800 (~ 2014) and bought the HD800, mostly due to better comfort (the AKG was too heavy for me). It replaced my old HD580.

Some time ago I listened to HD800S, HD820 and some other closed highend headphones (there was a Focal but I don't remember model or price). Attention: subjective opinions to follow! Although the bass of the HD800S had the lowest power it was also the cleanest, and no other headphone was a match regarding its openness. Back home I checked the FR of the HD800 (thanks to @solderdude!) and added a little EQ in the bass on my RME ADI-2 PRO fs (additional to the 6kHz notch filter already in use).

imrul

Best listened: focal utopia, audeze lcd i4, audeze lcd 4
own: focal utopia, audeze lcd2, astell&kern akt5p

IMO utopia > lcd i4 > lcd 4

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HE-1.

It's a blinged out "statement" piece that could probably be sold at 1/10 the current price if they they didn't go so overboard with the amp design, but it's the best thing I've ever heard.

jonfitch

The Sennheiser HE-1s are legit god tier headphones. The Hifiman Shangri-La IMO isn't really in the same ballpark despite the bloated price tag. Among the peon level headphones I feel the ordering is Stax SR-009 > Hifiman Susvara > Voce > Audeze LCD-4 > Focal Utopia

Oh yeah, I personally own the ADX5000, mainly for comfort. It kind of performs like an HD800 with better bass.

Zensō

Major Contributor
The sound quality of headphones is harder to measure and more subjective than amps/dacs, so naturally the point of diminishing returns is going to vary significantly from one person to the next. For me, it appears to be around the $500-$700 mark. After owning and trying many more (and less) expensive headphones, I’m pretty well settled on the Focal Elex and DT1990.

D

Deleted member 9286

All the mention of Stax in this thread has rekindled something I had explored in the past. I heard the Stax 009 attached to a Blue Hawaii amp and was genuinely impressed, despite my preference for solid state amps. I looked into a more cost effective route into Stax 009 ownership but it seemed virtually impossible unless you’re willing to shell out multiple thousands on boutique tube electrostatic amps.

Can any of you headphone experts recommend an electrostatic amp that performs well enough for the 009’s but doesn’t break the bank. Say no more than £500-£1000?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t really think BHSE is coloring the sound so much that it’s pleasing distortion from tubes is what you subjectively prefer, but any STAX amp designed for SR009 should be enough. I’d even go as far as performing a DBT volume matched A/B may not yield at 19/20 or better correct choice which means there’s no audible difference between the two amps

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can any of you headphone experts recommend an electrostatic amp that performs well enough for the 009’s but doesn’t break the bank. Say no more than £500-£1000?

Unless you need to listen at ear bleeding volumes you'd probably be fine with the SRM-353X.

I don’t really think BHSE is coloring the sound so much that it’s pleasing distortion from tubes is what you subjectively prefer

Probably not. The tubes in the BHSE are actually the output devices and each channel has like half a dozen transistors paralleled on top of the output tube as a constant current source.

Nobody wants to hook their expensive analyzer up to one to test, but from first principles it looks like linear design.

deniall83

Listened to the Sennheiser HE1. $70k AUD. I worked in HiFi for a while so listened to some megabuck setups.

wadec22

HD800s - very good
HD800 - bad
LCD3 - bad
Eikon - very good
Aeolus - very good
Auteur - very good
Denon AHD7200 - very good
LCD - GX - good depending on what you are looking for
LCD 2 Classic - very good
DT1990 - very bad

Top Bottom