• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best pre amp with streaming under 2000$? what ports they need to have?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

nothingman

I'm starting to think it's some kind of sophisticated bot...

I was thinking the same thing! This is clearly an advanced experiment to inform machine-learning. A team of scientists built the perfect bot to ask real humans random questions to build their database.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm starting to think it's some kind of sophisticated bot...

It's probably hard to tell the difference between most people and a sophisticated bot online. :confused:

Dumb Tourist: "Why is it so hard to make bear-proof garbage can?"
Park Ranger: "There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists."

I was thinking the same thing! This is clearly an advanced experiment to inform machine-learning. A team of scientists built the perfect bot to ask real humans random questions to build their database.

So, the bot is around 3~4 human years old and in the 'but why?' stage of development?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I dont plan to go with m10 its junk, marantz overpriced junk as well these models 30 -40 so i am looking for nad c298 power amp,
of course manuals can be obtained online for most things.
But your problem is, you can buy the power amp but are ruling out just about every option for a decent DAC/pre in your price range to go with it.

The "overpriced junk" isn't overpriced if you can't do better for the same money, is it?

And that's before we are certain that the DAC/pre you get has matching output to the power amp input, and sufficient gain.

Clearly, though, you do have dealers where you are that stock these components. So find your local NAD C298 dealer and see what they have and can recommend.

It's just a shame that the matching NAD C658 actually IS a piece of junk.

Perhaps you should just consider importing the low price DAC/pre combos in the blue end of the SINAD list here, and forget the tax claim. Just make sure the preamp output properly matches the C298 input for voltage, impedance and gain. Fortunately, the C298 is well designed and has variable gain with a reasonable maximum: but your preamp will have to have a few dB of gain.

Personally, I'd recommend the dealer approach. Just don't let them sell you fancy cables!

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

But your problem is, you can buy the power amp but are ruling out just about every option for a decent DAC/pre in your price range to go with it.

The "overpriced junk" isn't overpriced if you can't do better for the same money, is it?

And that's before we are certain that the DAC/pre you get has matching output to the power amp input, and sufficient gain.

Clearly, though, you do have dealers where you are that stock these components. So find your local NAD C298 dealer and see what they have and can recommend.

It's just a shame that the matching NAD C658 actually IS a piece of junk.

Perhaps you should just consider importing the low price DAC/pre combos in the blue end of the SINAD list here, and forget the tax claim. Just make sure the preamp output properly matches the C298 input for voltage, impedance and gain. Fortunately, the C298 is well designed and has variable gain with a reasonable maximum: but your preamp will have to have a few dB of gain.

Personally, I'd recommend the dealer approach. Just don't let them sell you fancy cables!
If i cant find any other option i will go with overpriced nad 658

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Look at that they sell RME and tons of great stuff.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were you, I'd be looking at a basic streamer device with digital ouput, that supports the services you need, and then pair that with a decent Dac with preamp mode and volume control.
This is what I've been telling him for 2 weeks on DM.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

they are old site and they have different reseller smaller companies etcs..

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi i wonder, What are the best pre amp with streaming under 2000$?
Also what ports need pre amp to have in order to be connected to power amplifier ?
most of the manufactuters doesnt provide much stuff and provide old products for high price, i am looking for something good price/per quality ratio not old product for year 2010 priced at 2000$ from nad thats a robery even without any streaming options..
Please tell me what ports and options need pre amp to have so i can recognize them easily.
My 2 cents is that a great, even the best <$2000 streaming preamp is the miniDSD SHD. The webpage I've linked show the connections in a helpful way. The SHD use Volumio as its streaming engine and is "Roon Ready". The SHD also includes Dirac Live DSP room correction.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In reality he could use an old Airport Express with Airplay or a Wim with Spotify, Tidal, Amazon etc. and drive his amp directly.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy is trolling his own post. He has been given all kinds of great advice and always complains that's not good enough, IMO.
Time to man up and make some decisions and when you narrow it down come back with questions. You are lucky others have patience. Sorry

mglobe

Forum Donor
This guy is trolling his own post. He has been given all kinds of great advice and always complains that's not good enough, IMO.
Time to man up and make some decisions and when you narrow it down come back with questions. You are lucky others have patience. Sorry
I’ve been wanting to say something along these lines for some time now, but I’m not very good at being diplomatic and didn’t want to say the wrong thing.

I have to say ASR is by far the most courteous forum I’ve participated in. Other places I’ve frequented would have devolved rapidly. This wouldn’t have gotten past page 1 on RennList’s racing forum. Kudos to the ASR community for behaving as adults.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

My 2 cents is that a great, even the best <$2000 streaming preamp is the miniDSD SHD. The webpage I've linked show the connections in a helpful way. The SHD use Volumio as its streaming engine and is "Roon Ready". The SHD also includes Dirac Live DSP room correction.
i have no doubts thats a great unit but i can order it and write it as a accountant expense unfortunately.

I have spoken with Cambridge audio romania today, they have no dealership in my country unfortunately otherwise i really like their products.

I want to know how much in sound quality i will heard between NAD C399 class d ncore all in one integrated amp
and nad power amplifier c298 based on purifi class d ?

Is the quality difference 10 - 20 -30 -40 -50% i asked the gray market dealer today but he cant answer my question.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the quality difference 10 - 20 -30 -40 -50% i asked the gray market dealer today but he cant answer my question.
Insofar as the c399 with a streaming module included will actually allow you to put some music to your new speakers I would say it is a bazillion % better than a c298 without any viable source.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Insofar as the c399 with a streaming module included will actually allow you to put some music to your new speakers I would say it is a bazillion % better than a c298 without any viable source.

Let me compare it
C399 vs c298 combined with + nad c658
how much better will be nad c298 with purifi compared to c399 in terms of sound quality?
I want to raise the bar i want to go high end please tell me since nad dealership from the gray market was not able to answer that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me compare it
C399 vs c298 combined with + nad c658
how much better will be nad c298 with purifi compared to c399 in terms of sound quality?
I want to raise the bar i want to go high end please tell me since nad dealership from the gray market was not able to answer that.
I dont rate your dodgy gray market dealer . The obvious answer would have been the one with the highest margin to them was infinitely better sounding.

Given the c399 is around half the price as the 658/298 combo, as long as it has ample power for your speakers, its a no brainer, no?

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I dont rate your dodgy gray market dealer . The obvious answer would have been the one with the highest margin to them was infinitely better sounding.

Given the c399 is around half the price as the 658/298 combo, as long as it has ample power for your speakers, its a no brainer, no?
Again i need to consider sound quality thats my first and most important goal how much is the difference is it 10%
is it 100%?
is it 20 or other number, i really need some good decent number, dealership doesnt know anything i am very dissapointed.
Yes they try to sale me even master series...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Again i need to consider sound quality thats my first and most important goal how much is the difference is it 10%
is it 100%?
is it 20 or other number, i really need some good decent number, dealership doesnt know anything i am very dissapointed.
I'm not sure it works like that....

antcollinet

Master Contributor
is it 100%?
Yes they try to sale me even master series...
The general consensus is that the differences between the hypex modules and purify modules are probably not audible when the amps are operating within their power ratings (not clipping).

However, there are no guarantees. And of course the dealer doesn't know - the manufacturer doesn't test it. Plus it is not in their interest to tell you the lower cost amp sounds as good as the expensive one.

Oh - and a % difference in sound can only be pure subjective meaninglessness.

Can you visit the dealer and check for yourself what difference you can hear?

Top Bottom