• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best pre amp with streaming under 2000$? what ports they need to have?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I've lost track of these threads, but if you can't work out what you need with a power amp, just go with a decent integrated.

For devices like the M10 and the Marantz models 30 and 40 the manuals are available from the company websites, so do some reading to make sure you can use a phone app as you want that, with your preferred streaming service and any files you own, and that you can add the subs you mentioned in one of your earlier posts = as you will want or need to do that.

And you don't need to worry about Hypex vs Purifi: not in the real world, anyway.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Thats old page that company doesnt exist, they provided to smaller companies some things and in the end they have 000 products.

Is cambridge audio good for pre amp?

I've lost track of these threads, but if you can't work out what you need with a power amp, just go with a decent integrated.

For devices like the M10 and the Marantz models 30 and 40 the manuals are available from the company websites, so do some reading to make sure you can use a phone app as you want that, with your preferred streaming service and any files you own, and that you can add the subs you mentioned in one of your earlier posts = as you will want or need to do that.

And you don't need to worry about Hypex vs Purifi: not in the real world, anyway.

I dont plan to go with m10 its junk, marantz overpriced junk as well these models 30 -40 so i am looking for nad c298 power amp,
of course manuals can be obtained online for most things.

can i use this as a pre amp ?

Last edited by a moderator:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I would say no. That is an integrated streamer amp. The only analogue line output is intended for a recording device (it is not a pre-out) - as such it won't control the volume of that output from the amp volume control.
Тoo bad for what ports i need to look out in the pre amp + streamer?
Balanced xlr or something else?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I suggest you look through this search for something suitable, that you can source locally. There is 5 pages of it. As far as I can see most devices are either straight streamers with no volume control, so you'd need to add a passive pre-amp/volume pot for volume...

Or they are streamer players with built in amplification. If you pick one of those with volume control and volume adjusting pre-outs, then they will probably do what you want. But then you are paying for amplification you don't need.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a basic streamer device with digital ouput, that supports the services you need, and then pair that with a decent Dac with preamp mode and volume control.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Тoo bad for what ports i need to look out in the pre amp + streamer?
Balanced xlr or something else?
You need outputs that are pre-outs - whose volume is controlled by the volume of the streamer. XLR (or other balanced - eg trs) is beneficial in eliminating any ground noise (if your amp has balanced inputs) - but you are unlikely to have that problem if the streamer is close to the amp, in which case RCA will be fine (again assuming the amp has RCA inputs)

EDIT - your amp has both RCA and XLR. I'd suggest going XLR if you can find a streamer with XLR output which also meets your other requirements. It will be easier to achieve this if you go with an arrangement of streamer - digital connection - balanced DAC with volume control.

If it were me I'd be going for wii M mini with digital conntion to balanced DAC. Alternatively a Rapberry pi based streamer (such as the Allo Boss) with digital output. Streamers are effectively throwaway devices, rapidly obsoleted by changes in services and technology, so not worth spending a lot on. Get a decent DAC now though, your sound quality will match any high end streamer, and you'll never need to change it - and you still don't need to spend a lot.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

You need outputs that are pre-outs - whose volume is controlled by the volume of the streamer. XLR (or other balanced - eg trs) is beneficial in eliminating any ground noise (if your amp has balanced inputs) - but you are unlikely to have that problem if the streamer is close to the amp, in which case RCA will be fine (again assuming the amp has RCA inputs)

EDIT - your amp has both RCA and XLR. I'd suggest going XLR if you can find a streamer with XLR output which also meets your other requirements. It will be easier to achieve this if you go with an arrangement of streamer - digital connection - balanced DAC with volume control.

If it were me I'd be going for wii M mini with digital conntion to balanced DAC. Alternatively a Rapberry pi based streamer (such as the Allo Boss) with digital output. Streamers are effectively throwaway devices, rapidly obsoleted by changes in services and technology, so not worth spending a lot on. Get a decent DAC now though, your sound quality will match any high end streamer, and you'll never need to change it - and you still don't need to spend a lot.
i cant get these wii m mini rasphery pii as well..

i can get Denon,marantz,
sony or other popular brands nad
yamaha etcs... just to name a few of course as long if the model is not old, old models are sold out.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
i cant get these wii m mini rasphery pii as well..

i can get Denon,marantz,
sony or other popular brands nad
yamaha etcs... just to name a few of course as long if the model is not old, old models are sold out.
Well, then look through the list I posted above and see if anything suits that is available in your area.

Or just look for a device that you know you can get that has pre-outs or digital outs for use with a DAC - and also supports the services you need. This shouldn't require a whole lot of discussion.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Well, then look through the list I posted above and see if anything suits that is available in your area.

Or just look for a device that you know you can get that has pre-outs or digital outs for use with a DAC - and also supports the services you need. This shouldn't require a whole lot of discussion.
Most stuff i found it either lack balanced XLR
or it lacks balanced xlr + air play.... so its tough choise, i will ask if cambridge audio is even available where i am.
i want if possible everything in 1 box i dont want 2-3 different boxes... because more cables etcs and more power sockets i will need to wire,and i am already full with wires.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Most stuff i found it either lack balanced XLR
or it lacks balanced xlr + air play.... so its tough choise, i will ask if cambridge audio is even available where i am.
i want if possible everything in 1 box i dont want 2-3 different boxes... because more cables etcs and more power sockets i will need to wire,and i am already full with wires.
OK - so you know your choices - only you can make the final selection.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Basic Ipad, good 2v dongle (only $50 for good one, why trouble the accountant) 3.5mm to rca cable to amp.

Airplay to that from iPhone whatever streaming service you use.

You're done.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Basic Ipad, good 2v dongle (only $50 for good one, why trouble the accountant) 3.5mm to rca cable to amp.

Airplay to that from iPhone whatever streaming service you use.

You're done.
hi amp is not
Integrated amp
its called power amp,, i always need pre amp first ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi amp is not
Integrated amp
its called power amp,, i always need pre amp first ...
Adjust output level coming out of dingle by adjusting playback level on ipad /iPhone. Bingo, preamp.

Unless you need to also input other source devices.

Or see if you can find a yamaha wxc 50.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Adjust output level coming out of dingle by adjusting playback level on ipad /iPhone. Bingo, preamp.

Unless you need to also input other source devices.

Or see if you can find a yamaha wxc 50.
yamaha wxc 50 no longer is offered unfortunately i already checked it out.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yamaha wxc 50 no longer is offered unfortunately i already checked it out.
I've got an idea. You go to a good retailer where you live with a list of requirements, get a list of what they can supply you, then ask the site which would be best.

Otherwise we are just going to go round yet more loops.

The wxc, the bluesound node, the Cambridge cxn are all what we understand as streaming preamp. You need to find a similar device you can obtain. Or think more laterally.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

i can get naim

Naim Nait 5si​

can i use this junk as a pre amp or not? I will probably get streaming dedicated something else to make things less complex.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thread reminds me of a Jim Florentine comedy routine.

nothingman

i can get naim

Naim Nait 5si​

can i use this junk as a pre amp or not? I will probably get streaming dedicated something else to make things less complex.

Absolutely you can. It’s a giant hunk of crap and you will love it.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I don’t know, I like OP’s threads. They’re like playing a game of whack-a-mole - just when you think you have his hit his needs squarely on the head, a whole bunch of new requirements suddenly pop up!
I'm starting to think it's some kind of sophisticated bot...

Top Bottom