• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can always sell it second hand and buy another one second hand. (maybe unethical but yeah...). It's quite possible there's zero audible issue in the first place. Beats attempting to fix what's not broken, and breaking the driver while you're at it :oops:
Naa... fixed...
20200125_171600.jpg

Shoaibexpert

Is there anyway to tell if this is a 650 or 600 driver...maybe serial numbers? Since it came that way...I was wondering maybe someone played with it beforehand...

ericw

I did this repair years ago on my HD600's by sticking a very small piece of scotch tape on the crunched part and then gently lifting it up. I forget if I just used my finger or something else, but iirc it was easy to gradually increase the amount of force by adjusting how much tape surface area was in contact with the driver. Used a tape that wasn't very sticky and didn't leave residue.

Shoaibexpert

I did this repair years ago on my HD600's by sticking a very small piece of scotch tape on the crunched part and then gently lifting it up. I forget if I just used my finger or something else, but iirc it was easy to gradually increase the amount of force by adjusting how much tape surface area was in contact with the driver. Used a tape that wasn't very sticky and didn't leave residue.
I just sucked...in one case lifted the driver way too much...but did fit it back inside the magnet with a gentle push....I hope that doesn't affect the sound! Doesn't seem to me till now.

Anyways, the highs are quite pronounced on my 650 now. Not that dark anymore...

Shoaibexpert

The 650 really is a jack of all trades....one stop shop Headphone ever made by any manufacturer. Most say the 6XX is the same...it's a steal in USD 185 from Drop. Off course, my 800S and the Arya are on a different level...but at 5 times the cost!

D

Deleted member 12179

I´m on the same boat, so far I decided to order the Sennheiser HD 6XX in a few days from USA.

Kouioui

Forum Donor
First post and another vote for the 6XXs. Some people prefer the 58X but I had both for a month and sent those back. I use a FiiO K5 Pro that amirm recommended (thanks!) for a dac/amp and only listen to CD quality content and above. I do find using a parametric EQ like APO/Peace and 2018 Harman Target settings by acoustic engineer oratory1990 on reddit improves the 6XXs somewhat.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I just sucked...in one case lifted the driver way too much...but did fit it back inside the magnet with a gentle push....I hope that doesn't affect the sound! Doesn't seem to me till now.

Anyways, the highs are quite pronounced on my 650 now. Not that dark anymore...

Do you have a serial number for your item? American, European, UK or other world part resident?

Shoaibexpert

Do you have a serial number for your item? American, European, UK or other world part resident?
No. Think it must be there on the box...or maybe it wasn't there when I bought them in 2017. Maybe my unit was used or something so the box didn't have any serial no. But as seen, the drivers are all genuine...

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I have a pair of the original HD580s, which I got for less than $200 on closeout way back when. Never heard anything I liked any better out of a Senn.

Right now I’m in bed listening to a very old pair of Sony MDR-V6, with Beyer pads, $80 or so, decades old, but still current and very enjoyable and very comfy for lying down and because of the response great for low-level listening. They have their flaws but the flaws can be virtues, etc.

I also use a pair of Beyer DT-990s, which I used to criticize a lot, but now I’ve changed my mind, I enjoy them a lot, they are my normal go-tos for headphones now. They run a little under $200 I think. I think I would keep those above anything else now. Strange how time does that to you.

I have an old pair of Sony MDR-CD780s that might be my very favorites, who knows. Its a long-discontinued and very strange headphone, but I think it sounds great.

I also have a pair of Superlux 681s ($30) that I greatly enjoy. Not kidding!

That‘s my short list after a few decades of trying stuff out,

i‘ve got some noise-cancelling wireless active DSP headphones but those are more like $300.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Got in touch with Sennheiser before repairing this myself. They were asking some $138 equivalent here in UAE to repair! This when a new 6XX costs 185...

Tup3x

Got in touch with Sennheiser before repairing this myself. They were asking some $138 equivalent here in UAE to repair! This when a new 6XX costs 185...
That's weird... I just ordered 2x HD 600 driver capsules (091570) for my HD 58X Jubilee for 62,90 € each (inc. 25% VAT) and apparently the HD 650 capsule (092855) goes for 60 €.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Naa... fixed...

Fixed a HD650 driver today as well. All I had to do was remove the grill, put my mouth over the rear of the driver (the spider bit) and blow a little on it and it jumped right back into place.

Of course the effect was measured before and after repair...
And I finally found a real 'veiled' HD650. It appears it is not a myth or misunderstanding after all.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Having tested all those headphones, and presumably listened to them, what are your personal favourites?

D

Deleted member 12179

It's normal that the official technical service of most companies will be overpriced for any reparation. Still, that is why easy to repair or easy to take apart things are great for repairing and should last forever: you can cheply get those parts, new or used, and fix it yourself for much less money.

Tup3x

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Having tested all those headphones, and presumably listened to them, what are your personal favourites?

There are quite a few headphones I really like. Some of them are a bit too heavy in weight, others uncomfortable when wearing for a longer time.
The one I use the most (comfort and sound) is the HD800 (with EQ)
Ones I also like (in no particular order):
K812 (with treble filter), do not own.
HE-6 (too heavy and needs a lot of power)
LCD3, LCD4, LCD4Z, LCD-MX4 (too expensive, do not own)
DT1990 Pro (with treble filter) and A pads, DT1350 (modified, EQ'ed), T51P (the last 2 are an acquired taste and not really comfy)
DT1770 (with DT770 pads + filter)
Custom One pro (modified)
Focal Clear and Utopia (too expensive, do not own)
Susvara (too expensive, do not own)
AEON closed (do not own), Ether
Fidelio X2HR (modified and filtered)
HD800S and HD820S (too expensive, do not own)
SRH1840 (filtered)
prototype Superlux HD688 (alas the actual product was way less in all aspects)
Prototype I am not allowed to disclose, also did not make production... alas.
Some Stax models (too expensive, do not own)
Sanoma model one (too expensive, do not own)
HD58X (modified, filtered), HD660S, HD650 (with EQ)
1 More Triple Driver Over Ear (filtered, uncomfy so sold it)
KSC75 (sometimes)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Makes me wonder if there's HD 600 that sounds like HD 650.

when you remove the foam from the rear of the driver it comes close but not quite the same.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are quite a few headphones I really like. Some of them are a bit too heavy in weight, others uncomfortable when wearing for a longer time.
The one I use the most (comfort and sound) is the HD800 (with EQ)
Ones I also like (in no particular order):
K812 (with treble filter), do not own.
HE-6 (too heavy and needs a lot of power)
LCD3, LCD4, LCD4Z, LCD-MX4 (too expensive, do not own)
DT1990 Pro (with treble filter) and A pads, DT1350 (modified, EQ'ed), T51P (the last 2 are an acquired taste and not really comfy)
DT1770 (with DT770 pads + filter)
Custom One pro (modified)
Focal Clear and Utopia (too expensive, do not own)
Susvara (too expensive, do not own)
AEON closed (do not own), Ether
Fidelio X2HR (modified and filtered)
HD800S and HD820S (too expensive, do not own)
SRH1840 (filtered)
prototype Superlux HD688 (alas the actual product was way less in all aspects)
Prototype I am not allowed to disclose, also did not make production... alas.
Some Stax models (too expensive, do not own)
Sanoma model one (too expensive, do not own)
HD58X (modified, filtered), HD660S, HD650 (with EQ)
1 More Triple Driver Over Ear (filtered, uncomfy so sold it)
KSC75 (sometimes)
+1 on the HD800 but I don't EQ. Wouldn't even know where to start with that!

As comfy and featherlight as my GS1000 and best imaging and staging I've heard.

Top Bottom