• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best headphones you would recommend in the $100-$250 range? What headphones do you have?

Kouioui

Forum Donor
advise what sampling rate should i set in my windows sound settings for the DAC for tidal hifi...thatd be awesome!:)
I use 24bit/44.1kHz in Windows sound device properties based on a tip from Amir that this setting avoids the worst of Windows resampling and mixer dither. I can't hear any difference between Tidal HiFi and Master so I keep it on HiFi with Tidal and Windows volume sliders full up, no normalization, and use the knob on my dac/amp.

thomasjast

I got my HD6XX 4 days ago, and I am blown away.

I feel the same way. Other than maybe wanting a bit more sub-bass, the 6XX are just so damn good. I can listen to them all day and never get tired of them and am always discovering new things in tracks I've listened to for decades. They're a home run at any price, let alone for the price they actually charge.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use 24bit/44.1kHz in Windows sound device properties based on a tip from Amir that this setting avoids the worst of Windows resampling and mixer dither. I can't hear any difference between Tidal HiFi and Master so I keep it on HiFi with Tidal and Windows volume sliders full up, no normalization, and use the knob on my dac/amp.
pretty sure youre not running on bit perfect either since EQ doesn't work that way...

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

I listen to classical all time, my setup is topping DX 3 pro and Sennheiser HD 598 (now it's 599 as a successor to 598). It's a little bit above your budget but worth it. For reference, I play violin and I used to be in an orchestra. The staging is definitely not HD800 (10x the price) level but it's good enough.
I bought and now use the Sennheiser HD 599 with my digital piano, for silent practice (as I got them very cheap at Sennheiser outlet). They're quite good especially in terms of comfort, and making it feel like you're not wearing headphones while playing the digital piano.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

My vote is for Philips Fidelio X2.
Thanks I might wait for the newer version - the X3s - to come out this summer before considering it. Also are there some quality control issues with the X2s?

I was also interested in the Roland RH-A30? But there seems to be a lack of reviews of Roland headphones in general?

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For accuracy and a lower noise floor, an Etymotic XR IEM.

I have the JH Audio Lola.

OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

The HD650's I heard in the past I never heard as dark or veiled.

Sonarworks found there were some odd ones out there and they describe the exact same differences I found in this one.
You can find the article at SBAF (alas the plots are no longer there)

It seems to be solved now. Never heard nor measured a HD6XX but AFAIK they are HD650 with a different (cheaper) paint job and shorter cable.
Solderdude have you tried Roland headphones such as RH-A30? Would you recommend these, and why are there so few reviews online?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roland-RH-A30-Open-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000OLFVXG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only the RH300. They were a bit disappointing to me stock but pad swap helped it a lot.
efficiency-drop.png

The RH-A30 is in the same category (did hear it and compared to HD650).
Good but not something 'special'.
So I did not buy one as they are difficult to 'unload again second hand' without an, to me, acceptable loss.
Also I don't like to buy something new (and sealed) and then after playing with it (and attempting reversibe mods sometimes) send it back leaving others with something they cannot sell as new on purpose.

As I don't use the 'every brand that sends in something, even when crappy, gets a 'glowing review' on youtube and or press ensures that they won't send samples to me. I either have to rely on owners sending in stuff (which happens) or me buying stuff or visiting a friendly dealer that lets me measure his demo models.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
A bit over budget but I managed to snag the Koss ESP/95X electrostatic headphones for $270 (including energizer/amp) from the Massdrop EU store during their closing down sale. Amazing headphones with an incredibly clean, clear sound (best for well recorded/mastered music). Almost perfect with Oratory1990's EQ settings.

The Hifiman HE4XX ($130 when I got them) are brilliant too, with a very balanced sound and an expansive yet realistic soundstage (perfect for full-orchestral classical). Again, even better with Oratory's settings.

Last edited:
OP
BobbyTimmons

BobbyTimmons

Only the RH300. They were a bit disappointing to me stock but pad swap helped it a lot.
efficiency-drop.png

The RH-A30 is in the same category (did hear it and compared to HD650).
Good but not something 'special'.
So I did not buy one as they are difficult to 'unload again second hand' without an, to me, acceptable loss.
Also I don't like to buy something new (and sealed) and then after playing with it (and attempting reversibe mods sometimes) send it back leaving others with something they cannot sell as new on purpose.

As I don't use the 'every brand that sends in something, even when crappy, gets a 'glowing review' on youtube and or press ensures that they won't send samples to me. I either have to rely on owners sending in stuff (which happens) or me buying stuff or visiting a friendly dealer that lets me measure his demo models.
Thanks a lot. Ok I will think about it.

And one more question -what do you think about the Yamaha HPH-MT8? (in case you have an opinion or tried them?)

Kouioui

Forum Donor
Solderdude have you tried Roland headphones such as RH-A30? Would you recommend these, and why are there so few reviews online?
I had these Roland closed-back heaphones to use with Roland V-Drums years ago. Worked pretty well for the intended application but wouldn't put them in the same company as others mentioned here. Maybe the open-back models are better?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, cheapest and decent electrostats around. Personally I don't like being tied to mains so never bought one. The Drop version has better pads than the original. A good move from Drop.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
what do you think about the Yamaha HPH-MT8? (in case you have an opinion or tried them?)

Not tried them nor heard them (no dealer nearby) so am opinion-less.
Did measure/play with the better known HPH-MT220
my conclusion:

The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is a heaphone that is well suited for studio usage. Very suited for monitoring purposes due to the decent isolation, high clamping force and tonal balance: not flat, slightly laid-back and high treble which highlights ‘details’
I certainly wouldn’t want to mix on this headphone nor check the final result.
In hi-fi circles this headphone has also been popular.
The cable being fixed, long, heavy and curled is a downside for those wanting to use it portable. It would be suited for this task because of the slight bass emphasis and efficiency.
For hi-fi music enjoyment this headphone is less well suited unless one likes bigger bass, subdued clarity and feisty treble. A positive side would be the ‘dynamics’ and instrument separation (which is not the same as sound width or ‘head-stage’).
A relaxed listen with smooth treble it is not. Active listening (with EQ or filter) is one aspect it is fairly good at.
Not a real high flyer for hi-fi, good for studio usage/monitoring.
The high-ish clamping force is also something to take in consideration when using this to relax and listen to an album or so.
The original pads not being made available and headband pleather quality are clearly downsides.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Yes, cheapest and decent electrostats around. Personally I don't like being tied to mains so never bought one. The Drop version has better pads than the original. A good move from Drop.

Yeah the vinyl pads on the original ESP950 don't look great. Actually I'm still thinking of swapping out my 95X's pads - you don't have any experience of Vesper Audio's pads do you? Looks like you can request completely custom sets with materials of your choice.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A bit off topic, but @solderdude ive not been happy with the bass response of my new bought (use pair) of HD 800S. Since you've measured the effects of pad swaps on some headphones, would you say putting in a new OEM pad would help improve the experience? The condition of existing pads (not bad) is here (I did wash them and dry them for hygiene reasons once they arrived used):

20200128_234121_resized.jpg

Top Bottom