• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the best amp options to drive KEF R3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

dorakeg

The specs according to the manufacturer are not really good (TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION (THD)
(20Hz–20kHz) <0.03%). Factor of ten off from what you can get from the amps recommended here. Even the Emotiva someone recommended earlier seems better at only 470USD and new.

Also this is a power amp only. No volume control, so your PC needs to control the volume, if this is ok with you. Assuming your PC can put out 1.5Vrms to drive it.

The emotiva has very high distortion above 15khz which isn't normal.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

HybridDigital DAC Amplifier​

will this fit my requierments , not yet available in europe...

how much more costly?
For what i read it's late already.But with 130W and with the streaming module it's a perfect fit.
I am thinking of selling the new cxa 81 i bought not long ago and go for this solution.
But i am in doubt, cos it will cost me money that was ment for other things.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I agree. I would not buy it. But it is cheap, if this is what the OP is looking for.
Junk , i have enough junk i need high end now reference class
to be honest with you all
i really like moranz reference class, forgot the model number, but i think its a little bit out of my budget
do they have some cheaper model closer to my budget,

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but price for genelec was a lot,
+ extra expensive shipping,
and no budget for floor stands etcs..
When you’re done look in the rear view mirror and count what you spent and compare.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

For what i read it's late already.But with 130W and with the streaming module it's a perfect fit.
I am thinking of selling the new cxa 81 i bought not long ago and go for this solution.
But i am in doubt, cos it will cost me money that was ment for other things.

whats the difference netween C 388 and c389​

When you’re done look in the rear view mirror and count what you spent and compare.
genelec have not dealers close to my country in order to try their product, and i doubt they even can offer 5 year warranty?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

whats the difference netween C 388 and c389​

genelec have not dealers close to my country in order to try their product, and i doubt they even can offer 5 year warranty?
Well they do have a 5 year warranty st least in Canada and I’m sure you’re closer to Finland than I am.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Well they do have a 5 year warranty st least in Canada and I’m sure you’re closer to Finland than I am.
Yes but nothing close to Bulgaria ,unfortunately,
and kef have major distributor/resellers/repair centers option to hear them etcs... same with Naim.
Also integrated amps in speakers can run hotter and are considered worse than separate solution, but if i dont like my kef i can always sale them.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
150Watts against 130 expenciver for what i read in the quick run i just did, witch you can do yourself too.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

150Watts against 130 expenciver for what i read in the quick run i just did, witch you can do yourself too.
So 20 watts difference only nothing else, is it hybrid dac still suitable for my speakers to run them fine? and what sinad can provide?

dorakeg

will this fit my requierments , not yet available in europe...

how much more costly?

Very costly. It's easy usd4k-5k. If you are talking about brands like mark Levinson, it's even worse. Mark Levinson is like the Porsche and Ferrari of the automotive world.

Other than emotiva, I can't recall any other brands that offers such power at $1k range.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The specs according to the manufacturer are not really good (TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION (THD)
(20Hz–20kHz) <0.03%). Factor of ten off from what you can get from the amps recommended here. Even the Emotiva someone recommended earlier seems better at only 470USD and new.

Also this is a power amp only. No volume control, so your PC needs to control the volume, if this is ok with you. Assuming your PC can put out 1.5Vrms to drive it.

The Threshold of audibility is well below some of these specifications - classic high regards audiophile amps (Krell, Threshold, MacIntosh, Quad) all had specs around that level (in THD) - with many of the specs at rated power going higher than that, on some of the legendary amps (like circa 0.1% THD).

Yes the state of the art has moved on, the very best now achieve astoundingly low levels of THD - measurement/instrument grade specifications.

But double blind tests, actually don't support that superiority - in fact for amps they mostly tell us that "reasonably decent" amps all sound the same, as long as they are run within their performance envelope - ie: they have sufficient power & current to drive the V/SPL to the desired levels (including headroom for peaks) - and those power and current parameters are based on the speaker, room, and listening distances.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Very costly. It's easy usd4k-5k. If you are talking about brands like mark Levinson, it's even worse. Mark Levinson is like the Porsche and Ferrari of the automotive world.

Other than emotiva, I can't recall any other brands that offers such power at $1k range.

i have mark levinson in my lexus and they amp is crap
class d multichannel cheap stuff,
i have no idea why people spend premium on them, are all of their home amps again class d, and speakers are crap too,and compared to my mosconi made in italy class ab in my other car + focal utopia sounds amazing, so its simply another praised brand without any solid ground. MARK LEVINSON is owned by samsung/ by the way.I was thinking bang and olfsen or Burmeister mercedess are using them are the best for car audio?

Before year i listened to acura with premium crell i think it was rlx, and it sounded speakers and amp much better compared to fancy mark levinson in my lexus.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just a thought based on my own experience - I tried out some pro/PA class D amps (Crown XLS2500) which have very high power and current capabilities, huge value at their price point.

Although their specifications (SINAD etc..) are not "impressive" - they are adequate, and well beyond the threshold of audibility

In any case - with my speakers... a set of used Crown XLS amps at $250 each gave me surprising (positive) results in my system and replaced much more expensive audiophile power amplifiers (Quad).

I don't know about the availability of Crown amps in your area, but I do urge you to look at the professional / PA market places - it required a bit of care, as some amps in that market have loud fans... but many don't - and as bands come and go, get founded and fail, their gear gets sold used at very reasonable prices - making it viable to experiment, purchase and try them, and then resell them easily if you are not satisfied with the results.

The process is also very educational, as you can get massive power amps (400W ++) and see what happens with your speakers, when the amp is only idling to drive them to full volume... The Crown amp technology is also used in the JBL Synthesis & Lexicon amps in more "audiophile / videophile" environments... there are quite a few other contenders in that market including Yamaha, Behringer, QMS etc... - but you will be limited by what is available locally (unless you are willing to bear shipping costs)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i have no idea why people spend premium on them, are all of their home amps again class d, and speakers are crap too,and compared to my mosconi made in italy class ab in my other car + focal utopia sounds amazing, so its simply another praised brand without any solid ground. MARK LEVINSON is owned by samsung/ by the way.I was thinking bang and olfsen or Burmeister mercedess are using them are the best for car audio?

Before year i listened to acura with premium crell i think it was rlx, and it sounded speakers and amp much better compared to fancy mark levinson in my lexus.
Good grief you have so many weird amp impressions/opinions/conclusions.....why ask anyone but just satisfy your own strange conclusion?

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Good grief you have so many weird amp impressions/opinions/conclusions.....why ask anyone but just satisfy your own strange conclusion?
The more people get involed and the more opinion the better :)
Just a thought based on my own experience - I tried out some pro/PA class D amps (Crown XLS2500) which have very high power and current capabilities, huge value at their price point.

Although their specifications (SINAD etc..) are not "impressive" - they are adequate, and well beyond the threshold of audibility

In any case - with my speakers... a set of used Crown XLS amps at $250 each gave me surprising (positive) results in my system and replaced much more expensive audiophile power amplifiers (Quad).

I don't know about the availability of Crown amps in your area, but I do urge you to look at the professional / PA market places - it required a bit of care, as some amps in that market have loud fans... but many don't - and as bands come and go, get founded and fail, their gear gets sold used at very reasonable prices - making it viable to experiment, purchase and try them, and then resell them easily if you are not satisfied with the results.

The process is also very educational, as you can get massive power amps (400W ++) and see what happens with your speakers, when the amp is only idling to drive them to full volume... The Crown amp technology is also used in the JBL Synthesis & Lexicon amps in more "audiophile / videophile" environments... there are quite a few other contenders in that market including Yamaha, Behringer, QMS etc... - but you will be limited by what is available locally (unless you are willing to bear shipping costs)

In my country we dont have local audiophile selling shops used so i am limited to ebay europe only.
Most sites out if ebay doesnt accept payment other than , cash and local pick up and other complicated things...
Lexicon is cool company i never tried any of their products so rare, and jbl synthesis as well...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The more people get involed and the more opinion the better :)

In my country we dont have local audiophile selling shops used so i am limited to ebay europe only.
Most sites out if ebay doesnt accept payment other than , cash and local pick up and other complicated things...
Lexicon is cool company i never tried any of their products so rare, and jbl synthesis as well...
The point I am making, is that you can look outside the audiophile world and marketplaces - look at the professional audio, and public address (PA) market - the equipment DJ's and Live Bands use for their concerts...

Some of that gear, can blow preconceptions about "audiophile gear" up! - High power, at low prices, and purchase used, no loss in value on resale.

dorakeg

Ok, I am not sure of their amps for cars but their integrated and power amps are mostly class AB. If you check out their int amps like 5802 and 5805, they are all AB amps. I do know their have something close to class D no.53 amp. But that thing is a monster and cost 50k a pair. Their lastest ml50 power amp is AB as well.

No doubt their are now owned by Samsung (after Samsung acquired haman). But they are not created by Samsung.

As I said, the price of ML products are out of reach the the most of us.

dorakeg

Ok, if you really want a very good integrated amp with built-in dac and lots of power, I would personally recommend the Krell K-300i. It's still not 200wpc but close. Rated 150w but tested 192w before clipping.

But then, it's very expensive. It's cheaper than ML but still very very expensive.

Top Bottom