• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are some great AMP/DAC combo that you would recommend?

Xphyre

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I've seen a lot of great stuff here, just want to ask for opinions.

For context, I started with a BTR5 for my IEMs, I have been using the Schiit stack for a while as well, then swapped over to the FiiO K5 Pro. I'm now currently using the Topping DX3 Pro+.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading them, would like to hear some of your recommendations. Should I try the DX5 or the EX5? How are they like compared to the DX3 Pro+?

Some requirements that I need and this is my current audio gear that I use:
  • FiiO FH5 IEM
  • Sennheiser HD 800S
  • Klipsch R-51 Powered Monitors

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum
Hey, welcome to ASR. :)
How are they like compared to the DX3 Pro+?
The DX3 Pro+ is transparent and has decent power as a headphone amp. Are you after differing product features?

JSmith

OP
X

Xphyre

Hey, welcome to ASR. :)

The DX3 Pro+ is transparent and has decent power as a headphone amp. Are you after differing product features?

JSmith
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. :)

I'm looking for something that would primarily provide clean power output for the DAC (as I'm hearing a very tiny bit of buzz/hum in the cans even after using a group loop isolator) and enough power to supply the monitors/speakers as well, together with the headphones. I don't really need the Bluetooth features as I don't use them at all.

I'm wondering if there's any nice upgrade in my pathway that fit those requirements, and thank you in advance!

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm hearing a very tiny bit of buzz/hum in the cans even after using a group loop isolator
Those devices will not always work... if you're using USB in, try optical if you can to eliminate this.

Otherwise, you may want to hit the review index for upgrade options;

JSmith

OP
X

Xphyre

Those devices will not always work... if you're using USB in, try optical if you can to eliminate this.

Otherwise, you may want to hit the review index for upgrade options;

JSmith
I've actually never used an optical cable before, I'll head over to the store and get those cables and give this a try! I'm actually curious, how does this remove the hum/buzz compared to the USB input?

Also wow, the Master Audio Review Index looks really impressive, I'll be sure to check those out as well, thank you for helping me out so much! :D

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm actually curious, how does this remove the hum/buzz compared to the USB input?
Optical uses a fiber-optic connection... so provides true galvanic isolation, thus no ground loops, no conduction path.

There are USB to optical converters out there... I believe SMSL sell one.

JSmith

OP
X

Xphyre

Optical uses a fiber-optic connection... so provides true galvanic isolation, thus no ground loops, no conduction path.

There are USB to optical converters out there... I believe SMSL sell one.

JSmith
Went and bought an optical cable, plugged it in and the difference is night and day, the buzz/hum was reduced significantly and wow, I'm blown away. If there's somehow a way I can thank you, I really appreciate it, seriously. Thank you so much, this is amazing. :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Thank you so much, this is amazing. :)
No problems at all, I'm glad this resolved the issue for you.

See, ASR is the place to be... you joined the right forum. :cool:

Enjoy your stay.

JSmith

OP
X

Xphyre

No problems at all, I'm glad this resolved the issue for you.

See, ASR is the place to be... you joined the right forum. :cool:

Enjoy your stay.

JSmith
Yep for sure, seems like a nice place to be in.

Looking at the Master Audio Review Index, I'm thinking if I should continue to stay on the Topping DX3 Pro+ or upgrade to the FiiO K5 Pro ESS (I haven't seen amirm review this newer version yet, only the 2019 K5 pro version)

djtetei

as I'm hearing a very tiny bit of buzz/hum in the cans even after using a group loop isolator
I have never ever had any issues with noise over USB, digital optical, digital coaxial or analog outputs. In fact I use balanced connections everywhere.
There may be some noise, but as long as it is not in the audible range, it is not an issue.
Maybe the main power grid and the house electrical wiring network play a role in this.

Top Bottom