• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are my fellow Genelec owners feeding them with?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use my Genelec 8340a with a RME ADi-2 DAC with balanced xlr analogue cables. Use the GLM software for room measurement and profile. RME used as volume control. Very satisfied.
Do you have all of your sources set to maximum (or fixed) volume too?

ripvw

Forum Donor
Apple Music running 24-bit/192kHz Lossless on 2017 iMac 27, Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1
Genelec GLM 4.1.2 via the Cloud with latest firmware and software updates
Topping D90 standard non-MQA running in DAC-mode & Topping A90, volume controlled via the A90
Genelec 8320A x 2 & 7350A with latest firmware updates. 8320A's on Genelec 8000-409B stands with 8020-408 monitor plates
currently experimenting with crossover settings - tried 80Hz, then 100Hz, now on 70Hz...untreated room
Mac - Genelec - Topping.jpeg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AppleTV => HDMI => Marantz SR6010 => pre-out => Genelec 8040A/B (LRC)

Feed then normal wall power ;) works just fine.

Room correction through Audyssey XT32.

kuf

for my desktop system with 8020 it is
Daphile (playing FLACs and Spotify) - > Presonus Audiobox One -> XLR cables -> sub and speakers

Daphile is set to play bit perfect and volume is controlled by Presonus volume knob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the 8350 I'm waiting it will be
Daphile -> USB to AES/EBU interface -> digital XLR cables -> sub and speakers

The downside (being in a living room) is the need for the GLM box and the GLM net cables to be always connected so to have volume control with the GLM.
The other way would be to set the volume control to Daphile, but maybe it is not the optimal solution regarding sound quality.

samysound

miniDSP SHD digitial out > Canare rca to xlr impedance converter > GLM for room correction and volume control>8351b

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor
Computer into a Marantz SR6013 via HDMI, then RCA to XLR into my 8341A pair. For the bottom end I've added a stereo pair of dual-opposed mid-bass modules right behind the speakers, crossed over through EqualizerAPO (200Hz) and corrected as one with Dirac. Delays are aligned for optimal frequency response/wavelet sum as both the subs and speakers are active together, no high pass.

The MBMs are mapped to the 7.1 rear pre-outs, with Voicemeeter Banana pretending to only be a 5.1 sound card to any app that supports surround. Super weird setup, but it works surprisingly well. Definitely a pain to maintain, though -- may switch this all over to something like a MiniDSP SHD at some point. That'd also make it easier to finally get off of Windows, so win/win!

Tangband

Major Contributor
8340:s plus 7350:s , Mac M1 , Apple lossless, skysong USB bridge on batteries, digital input signal to the 8340 SAM and subs.

Digital volume regulation is done in the Mac/USB bridge, set to 24 bit 96 kHz. My system is GLM calibrated but the subs are tuned manually by ear in GLM. I have a +3 dB boost from 100 Hz and below for my two 8340 in sound profiler.
Crossover points that sounded the best for me in this setup is 55 Hz.

I have lowered the volume in GLM using the slider to -30 dB and saved it into the speakers. This digital gain reduction is happening after the dsp crossover. This way I can use an external digital volume regulation from my Mac at the source without much compromise in soundquality and without the GLM kit connected.

I have tested my 8340 with both analog and digital inputs, and to me there is a slight sound advantage in dynamics to go digital with a good digital source.

Last edited:

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m still using my RME Adi2 to feed analog to my 8361’s. I know, extra conversion :eek:
It’s just so convenient with the remote, tone controls, loudness comp etc. and I think worrying about it is tilting at windmills imo. No way I’m gonna be able to differentiate in a blind test I’m sure.

cputoaster

different digital sources -> SDP-55 with DIRAC -> dante -> dante2aes converter -> 3x8351b
(+ SDP-55 -> analog XLR -> 4x8020d, + SDP-55 -> analog XLR -> 2x Arendal 1723 1S, but those are either not for stereo or not Genelec)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I’m still using my RME Adi2 to feed analog to my 8361’s. I know, extra conversion :eek:
It’s just so convenient with the remote, tone controls, loudness comp etc. and I think worrying about it is tilting at windmills imo. No way I’m gonna be able to differentiate in a blind test I’m sure.
The ‘pro’ version can send them a digital signal and still attenuate, I wouldn’t expect there to be any audible difference .
Keith

ferrellms

Hi all.

I hope you're all well. :)

I just thought I would ask you Genelec owners what you're feeding them with as I'm curious to know how people get the best out of them.
I own a pair of 8341's in white in a home environment. They are fantastic and their GLM software is something else entirely! Certainly puts the likes of DIRAC, Room Perfect and ARC to shame.

So....fire away guys. You using digital or analogue input and do you care about the extra AD/DA conversion if it's analogue.
What DAC or preamp are you using....you get the idea...

:)
An old Behringer mixer and USB audio interface and Windows Media Player and Amazon music and a PC.

Just terrific sound. Quit worrying about stuff that makes no audible difference!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I actually listened to the 8351 via analogue and digitally. Ime (and imo) the difference is marginal. Slightly better 'focus', ie imaging and less fuzziness, for lack of a better description. Just to be clear, the difference is so small I wouldn't bother. (I would rate it 1% of the total sound and actually liked the analogue connection better.)
I would keep it as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom