• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp is good for my B&W DM 601 S2

Julius32

Hello everybody. I'm new in the forum (from Barcelona) and i need some advice. My english is not quite good but i try. I want to use these speakers in my pc and i'm a bit confuse about what amp do i need. I was thinking in a Fiio K7 as a dac, but not sure how to pair it whith an amp. I read a lot of posts, but seems that all chinese amps (Iyima, topping, smsl) has a lot of issues. Othe option is look ins second hand market for Nad, Denon, etc (but not too big). My speakers are 88 db sensitive and 8 to 4.3 ohms max-min. I don't want a big amp, but i need an amp with enough power and reliable. My budget is 300,00€ as max. I'd apreciate any help. Thanks!

OP
J

Julius32

Thank you so much. Unfortunately there are no units left. Something similar?

OP
J

Julius32

Aiyima (07pro or 08 pro) or Topping (pa3s) amp with Fiio k7 would be a good option? How about Topping mx5?

OP
J

Julius32

Hello. I’m wondering if Topping is powerful enough for my B&W or maybe Aiyima’s are better options. Yesterday, in a music shop, a guy told me about get a Rotel A12 because small amps (like nad 3020, Project Maia, etc.) can’t give me enough power to the speakers and I’m quite confused right now. Thanks

nerdstrike

Pah, I ran (and still do in my garage occasionally) my 602 s3 off the obligatory Rotel 01 (historic equivalent to RA10/11 now). 40 watts was plenty for all my uses.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Definitely forget the little amplifiers and buy something decent. The 602S2s appreciate power and will expose poor amplification very quickly.

A Rotel A12 is an excellent choice.

OP
J

Julius32

My speakers are DM601 S2 with 88 db. I also have the 602 (90 db) pair with a Marantz Cinema 60. The idea was to get a tiny (and cheap) amp for my Pc. Obviously the Rotel is a really good choice, but big and expensive and I would like a clean table (more or less). Class D amps seems a good option, but not quite powerful and the other problem that I see is reliability.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My speakers are DM601 S2 with 88 db. I also have the 602 (90 db) pair with a Marantz Cinema 60. The idea was to get a tiny (and cheap) amp for my Pc. Obviously the Rotel is a really good choice, but big and expensive and I would like a clean table (more or less). Class D amps seems a good option, but not quite powerful and the other problem that I see is reliability.

The Rotel will outlast all inexpensive amps. I have 40+ year old Rotels and my daily driver in the TV system is a 31 year old RA-xxx integrated amplifier.

The 602S2s were a very nice speaker- once dubbed 'voice coils of the gods' by one of the British HiFi magazines. They deserve quality amplification. What about a monitor stand and put the larger Rotel under it? Basically, I'm suggesting spend a little more now, and not regret it later.

OP
J

Julius32

The Rotel will outlast all inexpensive amps. I have 40+ year old Rotels and my daily driver in the TV system is a 31 year old RA-xxx integrated amplifier.

The 602S2s were a very nice speaker- once dubbed 'voice coils of the gods' by one of the British HiFi magazines. They deserve quality amplification. What about a monitor stand and put the larger Rotel under it? Basically, I'm suggesting spend a little more now, and not regret it later.
Thanks for helping me (everybody). I see your point. The idea of the larger stand is brilliant. I insist that the ampli is for the 601 not the 602 and I'll think about the Rotel, but there are not a single amp tiny and affordable, i mean less than 400,00-500,00.-€?

3125b

Major Contributor
Yesterday, in a music shop, a guy told me about get a Rotel A12 because small amps (like nad 3020, Project Maia, etc.) can’t give me enough power to the speakers and I’m quite confused right now. Thanks
If you're gonna spend serious money, there are way more sensible ways do do so than getting an expensive amp.
Room EQ, a sub and better speakers would all make way more of a differnece than a better (note: more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better) amp.

My speakers are 88 db sensitive
Probably not really. Manufacturers like to be ... optimistic there for some reason.

You don't really need a dedicated DAC, just get something like the Aijima A07, that's plenty powerful for nearfield use. Download REW and set it up, get a (used if you find a decent deal) sub and you'll have a decent system within your 500€ budget.

OP
J

Julius32

If you're gonna spend serious money, there are way more sensible ways do do so than getting an expensive amp.
Room EQ, a sub and better speakers would all make way more of a differnece than a better (note: more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better) amp.

Probably not really. Manufacturers like to be ... optimistic there for some reason.

You don't really need a dedicated DAC, just get something like the Aijima A07, that's plenty powerful for nearfield use. Download REW and set it up, get a (used if you find a decent deal) sub and you'll have a decent system within your 500€ budget.
I think I do need a Dac to connect it to my Pc or maybe there is another option… What is REW? EQ software? I read about the Aiyima and newer versions (maybe the last version is more powerful) but I’m afraid about reliability and guarantee.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
are these TPA Fosi E10 units really good enough?

the power figures are rubbery enough that i have strong doubts

• 【Class D Amplifier】Using TPA3251D2 chip to output 500W stably, low distortion, increase dynamic range and show ultra-high-definition sound quality. SNR:92dB, THD: ≤0.01%, Dynamic range: 105dB, Output power: 4Ohm/200W×2, 3Ohm/250W×2

OP
J

Julius32

What do you think about this amps (I don't know if they are too old or newer versions):

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an HK3270 integrated amp that I use with my 602 S2s, seems to provide plenty of power for casual (or a little louder than casual) listening at 70 WPC.

The amps you linked above are really expensive for what you get IMO. For example my old HK amp has better specs and you can get one used for $90 on Reverb.com. Add the DAC of your choice and there you go.

OP
J

Julius32

Hi Again. Finally the decision was the ROTEL A11 Tribute, plus Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. The combination is ideal for me, I'm very happy and it sounds perfectly well and clear with my B&W with good bass too. The volume level is always between 38 and 50 and 50 is enough for the distance. Thank you for all your help.

Top Bottom