• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What amp/DAC do you recommend for my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones?

digitalanus_7

Hey there!

I was recently given a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-R70x (470 ohms) headphones and I was wondering which amp / DAC you recommend to get the most out of it. I have a budget of 400 to 500 dollars. Thank you very much for your help.

3125b

Major Contributor
Steer clear of Audio-GD.

The R70X is not too difficult a load to drive, despite the high impedance the sensitivity is pretty decent. If you want a combination device the new DX3 Pro+ seems like a very good option, good connectivity, plenty of power and very good signal quality for 200$.
Spending any more that that would be a waste unless you are looking for special features.
At that same price you could get a stack as well, but that takes up more space and those 100$ DACs don‘t usually offer bluetooth.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've bought three of Audio-GD's DACs, currently still using the NFB-11.28 and I like it.

aj625

Chord tt2+ m scaler with r70x is like an end game set up.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there!

I was recently given a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-R70x (470 ohms) headphones and I was wondering which amp / DAC you recommend to get the most out of it. I have a budget of 400 to 500 dollars. Thank you very much for your help.

Qudelix 5K - Chord is good but absurdly overpriced. Audio-GD only good if you like listening to Audio-GD instead of your music.

rkt31

Qudelix 5K - Chord is good but absurdly overpriced. Audio-GD only good if you like listening to Audio-GD instead of your music.
Absurdly overpriced ? I am using it with R70X for few months and with only 3 EQ clicks it can beat anything on earth, the combo is so so good. Mojo 2 is extremely refind, clean and transparent sounding dac wit 104bit lossless EQ, which makes it a game changer.

threni

Major Contributor
Absurdly overpriced ? I am using it with R70X for few months and with only 3 EQ clicks it can beat anything on earth, the combo is so so good. Mojo 2 is extremely refind, clean and transparent sounding dac
So is Apple's $9 USB dongle. And the dongle doesn't look like it was designed by someone with absolutely no taste.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absurdly overpriced ? I am using it with R70X for few months and with only 3 EQ clicks it can beat anything on earth, the combo is so so good. Mojo 2 is extremely refind, clean and transparent sounding dac wit 104bit lossless EQ, which makes it a game changer.

by what metric(s) does it "beat anything on earth"? what game is being changed by anything Chord makes?

rkt31

This is AudioScienceReview, not AudioPseudoscienceReview.
A "104-bit lossless EQ" is about as game-changing as 768KHz masters.
Ok, you try r70x with chord mojo 2 with these tiny EQ settings. + one click 20hz, +one click treble shelf and -one click 20khz.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't get 104bit EQ everywhere.
:facepalm: So….

See here

rkt31

:facepalm: So….

See here
I have heard mojo 2 EQ. It is so good , the EQ is not like EQ. The effect is like it was in the music itself. I would strongly suggest you to try mojo 2 asap.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have heard mojo 2 EQ. It is so good , the EQ is not like EQ. The effect is like it was in the music itself. I would strongly suggest you to try mojo 2 asap.
So you blind tested it against EQ APO or any other EQ software?
As far as we can see you just placebo-ed yourself into believing the BS statements from the manufacturer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hey there!

The R70X is 104dB/V so has the same efficiency as the HD600.
The Amp (section) should reach 6V and when EQ'ed to Harman about 10V would be needed when you want the sound to remain good even at impressively loud levels.
So minimum 100mW (into 300 ohm) and when you don't ever want to run out of power when using Harman EQ maybe 200mW to 300mW (into 300ohm) spec'd amp.
More is not needed.
For loud levels 50mW to 100mW is enough.

rkt31

So you blind tested it against EQ APO or any other EQ software?
As far as we can see you just placebo-ed yourself into believing the BS statements from the manufacturer.
Better you try first. There is a presentation of rob watts about this EQ feature. It really works. There is no degradation at all even at full +9db to -9db range. It's worth trying.

Top Bottom