• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about the speaker support ?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I was just wondering:
On the Klippel NFS bench, it seems that the speaker is standing on some sort of metallic pylon.
But in real life, we don't use pylon at home. (I don't)

So is there a way to guess or infer what will be the impact of the "real life" support ?
(floorstanding, on stand or on a bookshelf or on a table/desk or...)

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't worry about it too much.
Measuring speakers is very depressing.
No measurement of the same speaker will exactly be the same.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hi
I was just wondering:
On the Klippel NFS bench, it seems that the speaker is standing on some sort of metallic pylon.
But in real life, we don't use pylon at home. (I don't)

So is there a way to guess or infer what will be the impact of the "real life" support ?
(floorstanding, on stand or on a bookshelf or on a table/desk or...)

The location is more important than the structure you place it on. The surrounding (position relative to wall/floor/ceiling) are all attempted to be concluded in the 'estimated room response'. However, if you have a curve and use a program to simulate boundary reinforcement then that will help. It can also show you the typical ~ 300hz floor dip. A site like this can be a quick check or you can use one of various programs (something like VirtuixCAD or FRD Consortium) can help as well.

There's a bunch of people who get caught up in having stands made from the mightiest steel on the planet and filled to the brim with sand or kitty litter. Then there's folks who are just fine with a DIY 2x4 construction stand (myself included).

Top Bottom