• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about Qualcomm aptX HD's status?

DanielT

Major Contributor
How common is Qualcomm aptX HD together with Bluetooth 5? If it is possible to say something general about it that is?

In any case, it seems interesting, or what do you think?:)
Screenshot_2022-12-05_131509.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-05_131727.jpg

vitalii427

Forum Donor
I’ve seen a lot such claims about different codecs. But is it really actual when aptX Lossless already released?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here's a website that'll allow you to upload an audio clip, then A/B it against an aptX HD en+decoded version of that clip:
https://btcodecs.valdikss.org.ru/sbc-encoder/
Thanks for the tip and that link. I'll have to test that later. At the moment, I only have the opportunity to listen to my tablet and it, with that speaker, is of course not sufficient for any sensible evaluation.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Interesting though. Let's say you're listening to Spotify. In its current form, since Spotify didn't come with lossless (which Spotify said would come in 2021 by the way), the best quality on Spotify is 320 kbps and Qualcomm aptX HD 570 kbps or you can test 529 kbps in the link that staticV3 in #2 referred to:
Screenshot_2022-12-05_150112.jpg

Then Bluetooth 5.0 with Qualcomm aptX HD does not place limitations on Spotify's sound quality? If I got it all right?

Example. Streamed Spotify,..via signal from the computer that passes via/ through the best tested top performing DAC VS Spotify,..via Bluetooth 5.0 with Qualcomm aptX HD then there is no difference in the sound, right?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Then Bluetooth 5.0 with Qualcomm aptX HD does not place limitations on Spotify's sound quality? If I got it all right?
No, doesn't work like that. You can't conclude that 320kbps fits into 570 and therefore the 320 will be transmitted in full.
In reality, Spotify will first compress the master to 320kbps mp3 equivalent Opus (320 isn't the actual bit rate), then Qualcomm will compress that file again.
In both steps, fidelity is lost, even if the bit rate increases from Opus to aptX HD.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
No, doesn't work like that. You can't conclude that 320kbps fits into 570 and therefore the 320 will be transmitted in full.
In reality, Spotify will first compress the master to 320kbps mp3 equivalent Opus (320 isn't the actual bit rate), then Qualcomm will compress that file again.
In both steps, fidelity is lost, even if the bit rate increases from Opus to aptX HD.
Perfect, not in itself what you just wrote, which on the contrary was a bit sad. Seemed a little too good to be true.

I mean perfect, it was exactly the kind of new (to me new) information, knowledge I was looking for. Thanks.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It became a little more clear for me when I read #502, #505 in the thread I refer to below, which in and of itself is about the SMSL A300 and its Bluetooth functionality, but can be seen generally also for what is addressed in this thread::)
Screenshot_2022-12-05_174620.jpg

Oso Polar

Qualcomm-based phones do support AAC. They also usually support LDAC as well (it was open sourced by Sony and is included in Android by default). BTW, Qudelix-5K, which, obviously, is not a phone, is built around Qualcomm Bluetooth chipset and also supports both AAC and LDAC. So, "Qualcomm omitting AAC" is FUD.

Pippo

I have SMSL C200/A300 combo. A300 bt is turned off because the chip don't support Aptx HD. However, the C200 supports it. Automatically offers aptX HD when pairing.
Maybe one day on the A300 at a summer party will be turned on :)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Who tested poor aac against 16/44 as long receiver is near transmitter. And when you can hear a difference? How much attention is needet? Do you spend this kind of attention often? Who can tell a real live story? AAC vs. Ldac things like this? To be honest for me even aac vs. 44/16 is hard to hear and only if i spend a lot of attention. And even then i would be not sure. So if recv/trns conditions are perfect who hears a difference? Would you do in abx at least 80%?

Last edited:
Top Bottom