• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What a big vacuum tube! Single Ended Mono Block Power Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

groove

Thx, cheaper than i thought.

You are from ukraine?
Yes, Ukraine, I live in the city of Kharkov, it is 40 km from the border with russia. A third of the city was bombed with rockets, but I am sure that we will rebuild after the victory.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes, Ukraine, I live in the city of Kharkov, it is 40 km from the border with russia. A third of the city was bombed with rockets, but I am sure that we will rebuild after the victory.
And we in Sweden say like Canada:We are rooting for you all!

Fight on! You are an enormously brave people!

You will win!:)

Slave Ukraine!

groove

For 5 years I want to build a PP balanced amplifier on GM100 300W A2 in the class, but it turns out to be very large and hot and there are no people who want to own it. Therefore, I collect PP balanced amplifiers for. small GM70 120W A-AB2. GM70 is an approximate analogue of tubes 845 and 211, but more powerful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-220130.png
    Screenshot_20221203-220130.png
    703 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Glory to the Ukrainian army!
The Canadian government sent CDN ~$1billion in aid for Ukraine. I hope that stuff is making a difference for you Ukrainians. :D It was -30C here for a night or two and I was wondering how the Ukrainians are doing in their winter. That kind of cold is brutal and dangerous.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Attachments

• nedladdning.jpeg
    nedladdning.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 39

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What the hell. They should even be too big for P to like.
View attachment 247562

I have nothing against homosexuals. :) The fun is of course in.. ...I don't have to explain that....if P sees that picture. Lol.
O' I'm sure he has a special place in a gulag just for you and your commentary. :D Those tubes are hugeeee. First I saw of them is today.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Man, iam very happy not to live just 40km away from russian border.Dont like to get political in hear. Hope you understand my avatar. Stay strong.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the spirit of "no politics", I thought I'd share a recent addition to my stamp collection:

Ukraine 2022 F.jpg

That was a fine-looking warship, wasn't it? To the best of my knowledge, this stamp was also a philatelic first in depicting that particular salute.

sq225917

Major Contributor
A friend has had a couple of NAT monoblocks over the years, 300b, kt and I think he's on 845s currently.

Yeh they aren't flat FR, but goddammit they're exciting

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aren't big vacuum tube really just big dick surrogates? ;):)
And if you have a tube amp with small (6AQ5) power tubes so ...that means, lol.:)
(I wish)

A small 10W tube amp I had for a while. I sold it partly because I was a little afraid of electrical safety (a DIY that I didn't build) and of course 10 watts is not much:
IMG_20200910_125829 (1)_copy_1560x2080.jpg

"The 6AQ5[1] (Mullard–Philips tube designation EL90) is a miniature 7-pin (B7G) audio power output beam tetrode vacuum tube with ratings virtually identical to the 6V6 at 250 V. It was commonly used as an output audio amplifier in tube TVs and radios. There are versions of this tube with extended ratings for industrial application which are designated as 6AQ5A[2] (with controlled heater warm-up characteristic), and 6AQ5W/6005[3] or 6005W (shock and vibration resistant).

A push–pull pair is capable of producing at least 10W audio output power in class AB1."

Edit:
I later plugged in a high to low converter on its speaker outputs on the tube amplifier and drove an active subwoofer together with the tube amp-speaker combination in the picture. Then it got a little better.:)

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_200827_082828152_copy_1632x1224.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_200827_082828152_copy_1632x1224.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The Canadian government sent CDN ~$1billion in aid for Ukraine. I hope that stuff is making a difference for you Ukrainians. :D It was -30C here for a night or two and I was wondering how the Ukrainians are doing in their winter. That kind of cold is brutal and dangerous.

When i was in army we where 4 days in the field at -20C. Thats not fun, even in perfect peactime conditions. Hard to imagine how this is in fu.....ed up war time conditions over weeks and months.War is a beast. Who ever lets it out of his cage, should get fu...ed by it. Yes i mean you mister p.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
[emphasis added]

Nearly three times what I'm using. :cool:
Wow, so only about 3 watts! Then you must have large, probably horn?, speakers with high sensitivity? Plus an understanding wife who accepts having such big add horn at your house? But she may be compensated in other ways so that she is satisfied and happy.;)

Damn, I regret selling that little tube amp, built in a tin box as seen in the pictures. Not that I'm directly a "tube guy", but it shone nicely in the dark. I didn't think then that I could split the signal and let a few subwoofers take care of everything below 80-100 Hz. The small tube amp plus impedance kind speakers, with at least 89-90 dB sensitivity, had taken care of the rest.:)
Of course, I could have handed the tubis over to a professional repairman so he could check it and see that everything was ok with safety.

Never mind the same, towards new healthy HiFi goals in life!:)

groove

What is the X-Ray radiation output from a unit like this? Could it be a radiation/cancer hazard?
I'm afraid you won't get any X-rays from such a tube GM70, GM100, 845, 211. There is a video on YouTube on how to get x-rays at home. For this, special tubes and very high voltages are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom