• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your favourite Audio YouTuber?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Formerly metal 571, but he no longer does reviews

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I don't particularly want to give them the clicks though. I mean they are making money of the exercise right?

Some more or less, sure. I have not to pay the clicks. So watching a littel humoristic comedy for free is imo, ok. And sometimes you can see new gear thats maybe interesting.

Lets just look at the reviews of the rp600m. Nearly all did them. Not one of that clown noses complained about a hole as big as the South Pole-Aitken Basin in the midrange. The same people like to tell you how good amp A vs B sounds. Its a show. They enjoy the show, the manufactures enjoy the show. And the audience too.

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Some more or less, sure. I have not to pay the clicks. So watching a littel humoristic comedy for free is imo, ok. And sometimes you can see new gear thats maybe interesting.

Lets just look at the reviews of the rp600m. Nearly all did them. Not one of that clown noses complained about a hole as big as the South Pole-Aitken Basin in the midrange. The same people like to tell you how good amp A vs B sounds. Its a show. They enjoy the show, the manufactures enjoy the show. And the audience too.

Sure, whatever. I don't enjoy the show. shrug

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sure, whatever. I don't enjoy the show. shrug

Sure, but i do. When i watch the audiophiliac i always see a old man with a ear trumpet, that tells you how much better 24/96 is than16/44. Yes my own imaginagion, but somehow fun. ;)

But let me add, imo he does a good show. Showing gear from other people. Talk about music. Good entertainment.

Last edited:

fuzzychaos

Sorry, I just cannot do it for entertainment if the words coming out of their mouths are Twaddle. Which is almost bound to happen from the entertainer cohort.
I mean the words coming out of most people’s mouths is twaddle, I just choose to ignore it or be entertained by it.

fuzzychaos

Black Metal, Death Metal and Grindcore mostly.
Not being argumentative, but are there well recorded recordings in these genres? Truly curious.

I like metal like Tool, and they are generally well recorded. I also love Alice In Chains, my favorite band, and they were not that well recorded (maybe the Unplugged album and the more recent albums).

OP
A

Arianator26

Not being argumentative, but are there well recorded recordings in these genres? Truly curious.

I like metal like Tool, and they are generally well recorded. I also love Alice In Chains, my favorite band, and they were not that well recorded (maybe the Unplugged album and the more recent albums).
Tool isn’t metal. It’s Prog rock. And a very let’s say special kind of prog

Vacceo

Major Contributor

Like in any other genre, sure. Cryptopsy is a good example. If you want older stuff, Atheist is another good case.

sojun80

I liked cheap audio man until I found this site. Realistically he probably is one of the best resources for most people though since he recommends a lot of the same products that receive favourable reviews by Amir as well.
I think they both work well. Cheap audio man shows you what is out there. Like these little class D desktop amp things. Amir shows us which one we should actually buy. I would have no idea about some products without the cheapness.

fuzzychaos

Tool isn’t metal. It’s Prog rock. And a very let’s say special kind of prog
Meh, one man's metal is another man's prog rock...

"Tool's musical style has been described as alternative metal, art rock, post-metal, progressive rock, progressive metal, and heavy metal. Tool was described by Patrick Donovan of The Age as "the thinking person's metal band."

holbob

I once saw an English Elton John-alike. Short, tubby, with an obvious wig. Can't remember his channel name though.

cybernaut667

There are way too many excellent recordings in black metal nowadays.
Arcturus, deathspell omega, rotting christ, primordial, In the woods ...
all of them have seriously good production.

Septic Flesh on death metal..

Tool is not really 'metal' . Although I love this band ;)

Last edited:
OP
A

Arianator26

There are way too many excellent recordings in black metal nowadays.
Arcturus, deathspell omega, rotting christ, primordial.. all of them have seriously good production.
Septic Flesh on death metal..

Tool is not really 'metal' . Although I love this band ;)
Deathspell omega is so good. I wasn't sold on death metal, but their style really stuck with me even though they're basically mainstream at this point ;)
Edit: I obviously mean black metal lol

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Deathspell omega is so good. I wasn't sold on death metal, but their style really stuck with me even though they're basically mainstream at this point ;)
Edit: I obviously mean black metal lol
Pretty much anything on Norma Evangelium Diaboli is quite well produced and mastered; even stuff intended to sound very low-fi such as Teitanblood (Purging Tongues is a good case). World Terror Committee has quite good standards too as seen in Acherontas (not a band I really like, but production is good production) or Abigor.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Speaking of old vintage speakers. I have seen three or four pieces of this man's , Kelvin,videos.

Kelvin can be 100% trusted that he always chooses vintage speakers over new ones. New that he, by the way, extremely rarely likes.

100% subjective listening impressions. Sometimes interspersed with incorrect technical analyzes. It's almost like it's a parody of subjective HiFi yuotubers, but I think his videos are serious.:)
In his way of seeing it, serious that is.

Edit:
He thinks as he thinks about how speakers should sound. Of course he can do that, it's subjective.In any case, I do not think he is sponsored and is thus honest in his reviews.

Speaking of old vintage speakers. I have seen three or four pieces of this man's , Kelvin,videos.

Kelvin can be 100% trusted that he always chooses vintage speakers over new ones. New that he, by the way, extremely rarely likes.

100% subjective listening impressions. Sometimes interspersed with incorrect technical analyzes. It's almost like it's a parody of subjective HiFi yuotubers, but I think his videos are serious.:)
In his way of seeing it, serious that is.

Edit:
He thinks as he thinks about how speakers should sound. Of course he can do that, it's subjective.In any case, I do not think he is sponsored and is thus honest in his reviews.
I can take subjectivity. In anyway, I get to heard them in hifi show.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I can take subjectivity. In anyway, I get to heard them in hifi show.
And what did you think? Now that we are on the subjective track.;)

Hm..., for my own part. I would have liked to have compared the three speakers. I do not know which I liked best of them, but it would have been fun to try.:p

A general tip. Compare speakers for a long time. By longer I mean months. Choose the ones you then listen to the most.:)

ta240

Major Contributor
My late wife was pushing me hard to start doing videos. I resisted because I really don't like the genre. Now my daughter has taken up the idea.

Me: "Here's the problem: I don't have a great look, I don't have a good voice, and the room is a wreck."
Liz: "Well, you could put on a rubber clown nose?"

While I don't think I've seen all of those traits together; there are a lot of successful channels mentioned where the host has at least one of those :) Well, maybe not the clown nose. Guttenberg used to have stuff piled all over behind him.

There really are all kinds doing it.

I think much of it comes down to if you can talk to a camera like it is a person.
And from there probably how the presenter talks to people; which I guess would make some of these really condescending a-holes....

I find some just painful to listen to; but other people love them. If they are too excited about the product I tune them out, because it just sounds like a sales pitch. There are just few if any products that are as amazing as some make every product sound. I think that is what finally got me with Guttenberg; I got the feeling I was in a store and he was back in his salesman days telling me how amazing the product he was selling is. I don't think it is intentional, I just think it is his personality.

I personally prefer the low budget, high info videos but the low info, high budget seem to be winning.

ta240

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I know there's all these people who actually buy the crap the guy is selling...and I can read their comments too. It's just too frustrating and I'm better off not going in at all. If I want comedy I'll watch some John Mulaney.

I find it very odd that most of them (the Guttenbergs and Darkos etc) have such un-wavering confidence in their subjective assessments. I mean even back in my darkest days of audiophoolery I was never very sure of any of my impressions when I would listen to gear and try and make comparisons. "Does this sound better with these new cables than the old ones? I think maybe so??? I'm not sure...yes it does...or does it?? hmmm." To me, their lack of any skepticism about the conclusions they are reaching is a sure sign that they can't really be trusted.
I think that is a trait of an excellent salesperson; be absolutely certain of your perspective and the customer will follow you. And when it comes down to it most of them are just salespeople.

I just can’t see the funny side of innocent people being lied to, especially when their money is at stake.

The fact that information is coming second to the cult of personality only makes it worse.
With most they really are just infomercials; unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that is what they are watching.
As Sgt said above if you skim the comments you can see people chug the Kool-Aid by the gallon and it does get depressing. They move a massive amount of, often questionable quality, product for the people that send it to them to show off.

While the idea behind watching people talk about this stuff online is interesting in getting to see what is out there; when 90-100% of what they talk about is just amazing how do you take them seriously anymore?

Top Bottom