• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your favourite Audio YouTuber?

Arianator26

I’ve been lurking around here for quite some time and finally decided to create an account.
My primary sources of advice in the audio world have been my local dealers as well as a bunch of YouTubers. That’s why I wanted to ask who you think does the best job. I personally like Darko Audio and Andrew Robinson the best. They have by far the best production quality and structure in their videos and I like how they approach their explanations. However sometimes they can come off as pretentious.
I also watch Steve Guttenberg and ZeroFidelity occasionally but sometimes they beat too much around the bush for my taste without actually giving much information. What do you make of the channels I just mentioned?
Do you know other maybe smaller guys who make great videos?

ta240

Major Contributor
Audioholics, only when James Larson is on.
Erins Audio Corner for the technical info without a side of mocking.
Zero Fidelity for the untechnical, but at least not a sales pitch because he will mention what a product isn't good at and compare them to other competing products. I know that his is all subjective but I like them. And since it is usually just him talking I can run the video in the background while I work.
Those are the only 3 I watch anymore.

Someone once said Darko always looks like someone scolding their girlfriend and now I can't unsee that. All I liked with his videos was the camera work and editing by Jana, anyways because he was hard to take.
I liked Andrew Robinson at the start but as soon as he went full time audio reviewer he got to be too much and he always looks like he's carefully trying to explain something to a dog. The tilted head and facial expressions of "this is probably too much for you to understand".
I used to like Toids DIY but it seems to be more product placement or just chatting without a lot of good info much of the time now.
Same with Joentell, definitely an infomercial feel anymore. Slick video quality though; he has some real skills there.
I also used to watch Guttenberg a lot but at some point a year or so ago I just couldn't take him anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a few of those are great people but their act just isn't for me.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I can't stand watching most of these guys. I have yet to find a single video that is actually worth my time. I don't need to watch a person setting up and listening to gear, then have them tell me what they love about it.
I have yet to see a reviewer outside of Erin, James Larson, or here with Amir who takes measurements and can actually intelligently discuss the design of a Speaker or Sub. Everything else is opinion.
(There was a very brief time when I thought New Record Day was doing some potentially cool stuff, but that ship sailed a long time ago... with their sanity.)

If you want to watch as entertainment. Cool.
DO NOT expect to learn anything.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Welcome here! :D

Good thread, good question!

What do you mean by "great videos?"The craziest claims that have no basis in science? Then great videos in showing crazy stuff/claims?:)

By the way, I do not mind people telling what they like about food, wine, colors on the walls, sounds.In addition, it can be nice to see some pictures of various hifi stuff. Note: see.:)

Last edited:

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'Aaron is Loud and Wireless'. Straightforward reviews, real world use, comparisons between models (features, use, app support and so on), no pretence at 'objectivity' or definitive statements; informative and comprehensive.

ta240

Major Contributor
I can't stand watching most of these guys. I have yet to find a single video that is actually worth my time. I don't need to watch a person setting up and listening to gear, then have them tell me what they love about it.
I have yet to see a reviewer outside of Erin, James Larson, or here with Amir who takes measurements and can actually intelligently discuss the design of a Speaker or Sub. Everything else is opinion.
(There was a very brief time when I thought New Record Day was doing some potentially cool stuff, but that ship sailed a long time ago... with their sanity.)

If you want to watch as entertainment. Cool.
I forgot NRD, that sums up my thoughts there too.
There seems to be a point for many of them when they get enough 'followers' that they start believing their own 'stuff' and they get a bit over the top.
bCZwaWQ9QXBp

Even with 'watching' most of the videos in the background while I work there is only so much soft spoken, slow talking about audio equipment that I can take.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a little biased but nearly anyone should be able to learn something from mine with the various guests. :)

Eggs Ackley

I like Cheap Audio Man because he drinks his booze from a coffee cup. I like Guttenberg because of all the shirts, I dislike Beekhuyzen because he hasn't changed his shirt in seven years and I like Zeos because he says f**k a lot.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I like Cheap Audio Man because he drinks his booze from a coffee cup. I like Guttenberg because of all the shirts, I dislike Beekhuyzen because he hasn't changed his shirt in seven years and I like Zeos because he says f**k a lot.
Guttenberg..He seems to be such a fluffy hippie combined New Yorker type of dude. There's something cozy about that man, I must say.:)

OP
A

Arianator26

I
Arianator26. This is your thread. You get to decide. Should we scoop up sample videos or not in the thread?:D

Until then, before giving your opinion on it. I think Julian Krause is good. He has sensible, good videos::)

Show many has many videos as you like. I’m always open to new inputs.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Definitely checking out Erin’s Audio corner now.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I

Show many has many videos as you like. I’m always open to new inputs.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Definitely checking out Erin’s Audio corner now.
My friend, you now opened pandora's box, he he ;) ... Maybe not what you had in mind but still. This is absolutely wonderful. Sound story!.:)

Edit:
That man knows what he's doing.:)

Top Bottom