• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s the better alternative to KEiiD KD-W01?

jivemiguel

I bought one of these units, and before I even had it out of the box ran across amirm’s thread that discusses the unit’s less than impressive performance. So I decided to sell it and look at other options that better suit my needs. I went ahead and unboxed the KEiiD to make sure it functioned properly and did appreciate how easy it was to set up and get music playing with the Muzo app (hard wired via ethernet).
So what’s the better alternative to the KEiiD for someone who simply needs a WiFi bridge between any of the popular music streaming services and a stand alone DAC? No need to access stored music files for me...I just want to stream music from the most popular services in the highest fidelity possible using my smart phone or laptop as a remote control with minimal set up fuss and no risk of drop outs/glitches (ethernet hard wire connectivity).
Also, I sure did like the price of admission for the KEiiD, but understand better will likely cost more....but since I don’t need something with a built in DAC, I can’t really justify having to pay more than a few hundred since I could get a used Node 2 for $300-ish. I’m sure many will recommend Raspberry Pi, but everything I’ve read makes set up sound pretty fussy for someone who isn’t at least a quasi-computer geek (with all due respect) and doesn’t really have time to figure it out on his own.

Michael

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I think you really need to test out just how good Bluetooth is these days as there are a number of great DACs available that feature well done Bluetooth. I use the SMSL M200 and that is with very nice speakers and a solid amp and in doing so I use Bluetooth from my phone most of the time. Now despite having a Tidal subscription I do use files on my phone, but I have streamed Tidal via Bluetooth with no issues.

Top Bottom