• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s a good headphone to compliment my Element II? I do a lot of gaming, media consumption, etc.

lukeman3000

I currently have DT-990 Pros and was rather shocked to see the abysmal review in the review index for them lol. What might I consider otherwise that’s perhaps $500 or less? I don’t care to spend more on a pair of headphones for the sake thereof if I’m quickly moving past the point of diminishing returns. I thought I was already there with the DT990 Pro but the review I read here lead me to believe otherwise…

I will say I like the coiled cable because it doesn’t drag on the floor and get rolled/stepped on. I’m not sure if I prefer an open or closed design.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
if you're enthusiastic about headphones and only use the reviews here (or anywhere else, really) as a general guideline then try out a lot of headphones to see what's your preference like, since you probably don't know it yet.
some of the ones I found great (with or without EQ) are HE1000V2/Arya/Edition XS, HD650/HD600, Beyer DT1990.

Dazerdoreal

I thought I was already there with the DT990 Pro but the review I read here lead me to believe otherwise…
Oh no. If you were happy with your headphone just until you read the review, dont let you tell otherwise. The harman curve is not for everyone and distortion is harder to hear than most people think. :)

The 990 is considered to be rather "controversial" because of its harsh treble. If you didnt took an issue yet - I probably would immediately - its rather special signature might just be your thing. Also dont underestimate the factors comfort and build quality which many people like about Beyerdynamic headphones.

Did you try to EQ yet?

If you really want to go for a new headphone, EQing can also help you to find out what you like.
You can tune your headphone not only to the Harman target but also similar to other headphones' signatures. Of course it is not exactly the same then, but it can give you an idea.

Joe Smith

I think the AKG K371 is the value proposition in headphones right now...basically Harman target, though.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Love my Element II, but I really cannot hear any difference between all of my amps so I would not ask "Which headphone is a good compliment?" I would ask "What is a good pair of headphones that the amp will power?"

The good news, most headphones will be fine on the Element II, rule of thumb is >1W@32 Ohms, which the Element II exceeds.

If you don't mind some heft, try to find a used pair of Audeze LCD2, they are lovely especially after EQ, other options are used Focal Elex, Avantone Planar, Verum 1, Edition XS or Sundara, also if you want resolution checkout Austrian Audio Hi-X65.

Last edited:
Top Bottom