• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

_Piotr

I was always a headphone guy but today I've become an owner of a pair of Linton's. They sound ok-ish but I still prefer headphones :)

20230331_201257.jpg

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was always a headphone guy but today I've become an owner of a pair of Linton's. They sound ok-ish but I still prefer headphones :)

View attachment 276272
That is a very bare room with lots of reflective surfaces, consider getting a thick rug and some more chairs or curtains to reduce the reflectiveness. You also need to use eq to tamp down the bass modes in the room.

_Piotr

That is a very bare room with lots of reflective surfaces, consider getting a thick rug and some more chairs or curtains to reduce the reflectiveness. You also need to use eq to tamp down the bass modes in the room.
That's true, it's a 41m room but other then the kitchen there is only a table and a couch. I'm still in the middle of decorating the place. I was planning to buy a Minidsp SHD next and do a room correction. But I don't want rugs or curtains instead I want a minimalistic design with not too many elements.

20230331_235407.jpg

Kachda

Forum Donor
That's true, it's a 41m room but other then the kitchen there is only a table and a couch. I'm still in the middle of decorating the place. I was planning to buy a Minidsp SHD next and do a room correction. But I don't want rugs or curtains instead I want a minimalistic design with not too many elements.

View attachment 276286
I’m afraid a room like that with lots of hard surfaces is not the best for speakers to sound good

radix

Major Contributor
So are there any conclusions on the Denton 80th vs Denton 85th? The 80th are at quiet the discount nowadays.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

View attachment 276286

Mini DSP is great but you will still need some absorber panels , at least behind you.

Search for gik acoustics to get a idea. And U will get much better results from the mini DSP as well

audio2920

It's a nice looking room, and the Linton's look great in there, but I agree with @Snoopy , if you can face having some kind of treatment at least on the wall behind you, it'd likely make a decent difference. MiniDSP won't help much with the splashy nature of the room acoustics, it'll mostly just help you even out up to 300Hz(ish) a bit. (Well, tuning the overall tonality to preference can help a little, but that really is more preference than outright improvement.) But I'm sure you know all this.

Chazz6

Thinking about getting the Wharfedale Linton Heritage, but would need to lay them horizontally. The height would be okay for tweeters to ears, but does this setup have other problems?

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about getting the Wharfedale Linton Heritage, but would need to lay them horizontally. The height would be okay for tweeters to ears, but does this setup have other problems?
Check out the vertical dispersion. Usually not good to make that your horizontal dispersion, as it is generally much worse.

1685751607433.png

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Elmutcho

Hi all,
I've been reading this site a lot recently, trying to decide on new speakers, so much good going on. I'd appreciate any direct advice on a pair of Lintons. I'm trying to decide on a system for my music room, which is a 6x4x2.5m room I use for guitar practice, music listening and some general computer use, see pic (yes room treatment, unfortunate WAF). So my listening in this room is mostly done sitting at my desk. I'm looking for a system which reproduces guitar music effortlessly and with scale, from 50's blues, 60's soul to classic rock, through to thrash. I think i'm looking for a fairly big speaker with that feeling of headroom but i've also been looking at studio monitors. I would use a USB DAC into a power amp of some kind for the rest of the system if I go passive.

My questions are how close a listening distance could I use the Linton's at, could they be used in a midfield manner? I can move my desk around.
Secondly, my ears at my desk are roughly 130cm from the floor, how high a stand would I need for the linton's for this, and would this position work for them?

Budget is around 5-7k AUD (4-4.5k USD) Other options i'm considering are:
- Amphion Argon 3S
- Genelec 8340a (i'd like bigger but i'd prefer GLM if I'm going this pathway)
- Neumann KH310 or KH150

Thank you for any advice

Music Room.jpeg

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• GR-Research-The-Brute.png
    GR-Research-The-Brute.png
    894.2 KB · Views: 37

amarsicola

Forum Donor
In general i suggest you buy speakers with "spinorama" measurements (which i can't find for GRs) either from this site or from Erin's. So both Lintons and Neumans 150 (and Genelec of course) are very good choices.
In general if you have space you don't want to constrain yourself into a desktop setup, you will avoid acoustic interferences of the desk. From the photo you sent, you have room to put a sofa in the middle of the room (don't you want to have a relaxing option? :) ) and put the desk behind the sofa, and then the speakers a bit far away. In this way you can set a loudspeaker position that is good for both listening places at once.
Neuman is designed to be listened at short distance, but it can be used from a 3+ meters distance with no issues at all (check the specs) and is a better speaker than Linton, you can feed them directly by a spdif streamer (e.g wiim pro) since they have an embedded dac and amp, they will cost you around 3k€. Linton is also a very good speaker and is cheaper, but you need a dac and amp (e.g. with the Audiophonics DAW250 into account you reach 2k€). Linton has its own stands (very nice) that should be ok for listening from sofa, you can add some feets to make them a little higher for listening when you're at your desk. Neumans has its stands with a "pro" look if you like, otherwise amazon has plenty of stands to look at

Last edited:

cavedriver

My questions are how close a listening distance could I use the Linton's at, could they be used in a midfield manner? I can move my desk around.
Secondly, my ears at my desk are roughly 130cm from the floor, how high a stand would I need for the linton's for this, and would this position work for them?
The Lintons are not a "small" speaker, and with 3 drivers arranged vertically there is significant separation requiring some listening distance. Could you be ok at 2 m? Maybe. At 3m they're fine. Definitely not ok at 1 m.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair with stands for 650€!

Sadly i have to get them myself and it's 800km there and back. The cost in fuel should be 50 or 60€, so the price will be 700€ in the end. Another slight con is they have the nut tree veneer, not the nice red mahogany.

They will be listed for sale as soon as i have them, i don't think i will keep them.

I will collect them in two days with my car. They come in the original packaging, so i have to get creative. :cool:
up-in-die-zukunft-fahrbericht-.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

muad

I bought a pair with stands for 650€!

Sadly i have to get them myself and it's 800km there and back. The cost in fuel should be 50 or 60€, so the price will be 700€ in the end. Another slight con is they have the nut tree veneer, not the nice red mahogany.

They will be listed for sale as soon as i have them, i don't think i will keep them.

I will collect them in two days with my car. They come in the original packaging, so i have to get creative. :cool:
up-in-die-zukunft-fahrbericht-.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
If you're just going to sell them... Then why are you telling us this?

ocinn

If you're just going to sell them... Then why are you telling us this?
Because the average person shopping for speakers on a local classified's board is not going to think "Aha! I should go to great lengths to find out who the previous owner is and see how much they paid"

Top Bottom