• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

DSJR

Major Contributor
How would Denton compare to these? Anyone had the oportunity to listen both?
Can't find Denton measurements to compare
I've got a pair of Dentons which look much the same...

Oh, they're a 1969 original (W20 version) - cough - :D

Got to say I thought they'd sound dire today, but they're actually very 'nice' - just slightly 'foggy' if you try to hear into the music. Not sure how 'sonic fog' translates into measurements though :)

juma

Mate, they look fantastic and they fit really well with the rest of your room.
When i eventually move to a bigger place, these speakers will be first on my list.
What amps are you using there?

Emotiva at-100, I also paired then with a denon AVR, tried with and whitout sub. They perform better with a sub you get the extra ultra low that isnt there whitout a sub.

The ultimate set up would be a minidsp SHD for receicer/processing, some good stereo amp like a ncore 400 class D amp and a sub.

But even just the speaker with the emotiva sound good enough to get regular people comment about how good it sound. The emotiva only has basic bass control and no measuring feature, its basic old school stereo like.

I have a dedicaded home theater in the basement with multiple sub if I want to blast music into concert level with balanced full range playback. But if it was my only system I would consider better processing/amp/sub.

Last edited:

juma

This is the actual set-up picture. No way I would have been allowed to put some KEF or other strange hi-fi tower in the living room. Girlfirend was happy with the etsy look and to "read a book" beside it to post it on instagrm.

_MG_6308-1.jpg

Pablo27

This is the actual set-up picture. No way I would have been allowed to put some KEF or other strange hi-fi tower in the living room. Girlfirend was happy with the etsy look and to "read a book" beside it to post it on instagrm.

View attachment 235171

The "read a book" had me chuckling.

If you get a ninute check out a song called "white woman's instagram" (watch with the actual video). Hilarious no matter anyone's heritage.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The Linton's should have a suitable amplifier with good performance and a retro look, I think. This for example, new NAD model with modern functions, 100 W::)

20221018214613_NAD-C3050-LE-Front-nback-Above-Web.jpg

Discussion of NAD's new here:

and here, starting with #42

MAB

Major Contributor
The Linton's should have a suitable amplifier with good performance and a retro look, I think. This for example, new NAD model with modern functions, 100 W::)

View attachment 238961

Discussion of NAD's new here:

and here, starting with #42

Throwback to 1972, only 1972 units will be manufactured, sold for $1972 USD!
To be honest, it looks like one of the nicer versions of modern throwback-gear. If it has good performance, the price seems reasonable for an all-one-box 2-channel box including DAC. I think I like it!!!

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone in NYC area have these and willing to do a demo ? I'll get the coffee :)

Kachda

Forum Donor
On sale for Black Friday. Speakers and stands for 1499

amarsicola

Forum Donor
This speaker is well optimised so I would not use an eq with it. Since it is doable, let's see what it gives.

Recommendation: no anechoic EQ.

Hi @pierre , both the equalizations you reported in this thread for the Lintons are based on several filters (8 for PIR and 6 for Listening window), then in your Spinorama site you propose an equalization based on three:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1054 Hz Gain +1.85 dB Q 2.97
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 7051 Hz Gain -0.54 dB Q 2.92
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2411 Hz Gain +0.72 dB Q 1.79

Is this a sort of simplified common-sense average of the other two? Is it your final suggestion or would you still go for no eq? The (very good) score with equalization reported in your site is based on which one?

Thanks again for your great job with Spinorama !

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor
Hi @pierre , both the equalizations you reported in this thread for the Lintons are based on several filters (8 for PIR and 6 for Listening window), then in your Spinorama site you propose an equalization based on three:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1054 Hz Gain +1.85 dB Q 2.97
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 7051 Hz Gain -0.54 dB Q 2.92
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2411 Hz Gain +0.72 dB Q 1.79

Is this a sort of simplified common-sense average of the other two? Is it your final suggestion or would you still go for no eq? The (very good) score with equalization reported in your site is based on which one?

Thanks again for your great job with Spinorama !

Usually my EQs are such you can use how many PEQs you want. The influence of first PEQ is more that for the second and so on.
In this case, a simple 3 PEQs brings most of the benefit if any. If you can listen to various EQs, tell us which one you prefer.

You can also try:
Code:
EQ for Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary computed from ErinsAudioCorner data
Preference Score 6.0 with EQ 6.7
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.16
Dated: 2022-11-25-16:33:07

Preamp: -2.2 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  6580 Hz Gain -1.74 dB Q 1.10
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   947 Hz Gain +2.27 dB Q 2.00
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   170 Hz Gain +0.65 dB Q 2.88
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  9865 Hz Gain -0.51 dB Q 2.98
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  1059 Hz Gain +0.50 dB Q 3.00
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  1166 Hz Gain -0.50 dB Q 1.64
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  1105 Hz Gain +0.50 dB Q 3.00
Filter  8: ON PK Fc   981 Hz Gain -0.50 dB Q 2.99
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  7575 Hz Gain +0.50 dB Q 2.99

You see that most PEQs are as sharp as the optimiser let them to be (Q=3 in this case) and that the amplitude is very low. 1/2dB is audible but not that much.
you can try that by removing 1 peq and see if you can a/b the difference.

which gives
filters_eq.png

AC1

How would Denton compare to these? Anyone had the oportunity to listen both?
Can't find Denton measurements to compare

I have Linton 85 and Denton 85. They are both very different speakers. Denton 85 has more upper mid-range and treble (and thus more forward) and can sound fatiguing depending on the recording, not so with the Lintons, once the initial mid-range harshness settles down, they are never fatiguing. Perhaps the Denton 80 is somewhat more comparable to the Linton but I never heard the Denton 80.

FWIW, here are some Hi-Fi World measurements:

wharfedale-denton-80tha-fr.gif

Denton 80

wharfedale%20denton%2085h%20anniv%20fr4%20grille%20on.jpg

Denton 85

Screenshot-2022-11-04-09-1.jpg

Linton 85

192kbps

In China, it only costs $599 a pair. But few people bought it, people seem to have stereotypes about the brand.

Last edited:

kolestonin

There is a silver edition of these speakers in a german e-shop which costs significantly lower(778 for a pair).
To my knowledge these speakers come in three versions(black, mahogany, walnut) and it seems I can't find any photos or info on this 'silver edition'

Does anybody has any clues?

Attachments

• silver.JPG
    silver.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 167

kolestonin

It is difficult to find negative reviews or comments for these speakers.
The one reported more times, same from people praising them, is that they sound 'boxy'.
Not 100% sure on what this means(even after some googling), but I would like to know if this is the case for some of you.
If not, is there something else you don't like(or you wish it was different)?

Emulator II

The one reported more times, same from people praising them, is that they sound 'boxy'.
If at all, they sound "boxy" in a way that at least instruments that are also "boxy", such as double bass or drums, sound very realistic. Beside this you can nevertheless let them "disappear" sonically if you just give them enough room to breathe.
Maybe this boxy thing is due to the fact that only the front and back of the speaker are made of MDF, while the remaining surfaces are made of thinner chipboard. Just a guess.
As I said earlier in this thread they are great speakers and definetely worth a listen.

jmillar

Since you have a nice sub you just need quality responce from 70 or 80hrz on up so all of those can handle that.
In a smaller room even the small M105 can do an 70-80hrz high pass.
(If the monitors will be run full range let me know. I am assuming for now you will high pass them.)
I have not heard the M106 or the Aria. The Revel "sound" has really worked for me. I currently use both the M16 and M126be. I preferred both to the R3 and I deff like the M126be over the M16. I don't know how much is gained by going M126be vs the M106. I got such a good price on the M126be's I jumped. No regrets at all, they are extremely good and I don't say that often. I plan to sell the M16 but even that is hard as I love them. Just don't need them anymore though.
I have a pair of Aria K2 906's unopened that I ended up with by mistake and never returned. If I do open them I can compare them to the Revels but until then I have no opinion.
I would audition/try Aria 906, KEF R3, Dali Rubicon 2.
...but the Revels are excellent speakers, practically unknown in the EU because of eye watering shipping and customs)

Last edited:

jmillar

P.S. The upper mid 'dip' in the Linton will be interpreted in two ways in-room I feel. Either the image will appear slightly more 'spacious,' or it may give an impressioin of very slight 'dullness,' either of these effects depending on room acoustics I think. That little dip I believe was deliberately put there after listening tests, so yanking it out in an aftermarket crossover mod isn't really ideal and actually, short-sighted in this instance I'd say.
Three drivers and there are frequency dips and directivity errors? Something doesn't click here.
This is not a speaker forgiving to group listening or moving around. Maybe the target audience doesn't really notice or care.
That's what's driven me away from Lintons 85 despite Erin's enthusiasm.

Better to keep it simple: two good drivers, a good Xover, good match between drivers. No driver mismatches or discontinuities. (Same problem with the Evo 4.2).
No such problems with R3, Focal 906, Dali Rubicon 2, etc

kolestonin

As I said earlier in this thread they are great speakers and definetely worth a listen.
I am seriously tempted to give them a try.
What holds me from doing it is the fact that returning 4 heavy boxes in case I don't like them will be a costly hassle for me.
I also changed my speakers 2,5 months ago buying a pair of Elac debut reference dbr62 with which I am happy overall.
They are the less hearing fatigue speakers I ever had but in the same time I think there is a lack of excitement and I also feel they do not fill my 30m2 living room as I wish(or as I imagine it could be filled).

Do you, or other Linton's owners, think that I can find what I miss(excitement+better room filing factor) with the Elac's.

Top Bottom