• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

EXIF68

The question is: can the Linton heritage compare to my Heissmann Acoustic DXT-MON?
I could get a pair of this speakers for a really good price including the original stands.
but would the sound be so good to beat out my speakers?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is: can the Linton heritage compare to my Heissmann Acoustic DXT-MON?
I could get a pair of this speakers for a really good price including the original stands.
but would the sound be so good to beat out my speakers?
Did you build them yourself?
Are you listening near field?

EXIF68

Yes. Self made with prepared with mpx cabinets. The system is playing in a compareable small room, about 15m2 but complete open with a staiway to the 1st floor. The DXT‘s are supported by a self made Subwoofer (older Visaton TIW 250 in 40 Liter closed cabinet).
Listening distance about 2,5m

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Self made with prepared with mpx cabinets. The system is playing in a compareable small room, about 15m2 but complete open with a staiway to the 1st floor. The DXT‘s are supported by a self made Subwoofer (older Visaton TIW 250 in 40 Liter closed cabinet).
Listening distance about 2,5m
Would your listening be at tweeter level vertically?

Seems that’s one drawback and them being a 3 way would be a taller speaker than you’re accustomed to.

EXIF68

That is also a big part in my opinion. I’m listening more or less on or (later in the evening) about 10 degrees lower than tweeter level.
my speakers mounted on massive stands that elevate the tweeters of the DXT‚s about 95cm over floor level. Tweeter level of the Linton would be on the same position or even some cm lower.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lintons and DXT-mon are quite different beasts but given that you use sub, i'd expect the biggest difference in highs.

If you're pleased with highs on DXT-MON, don't buy Lintons. If you feel they are nervous sounding for your taste, try Lintons. But for some reason, Lintons have ports on the back so they can be fussy about room placement. They need space to breathe and you must equalize them to flat in room response.

Last edited:

EXIF68

The heights of ma DXT are a little too present. I have tested with the treble control on my Yamaha A-S2100. As a result of this, i will try to adjust the serial resistor in front of the tweeter a little but not much.
on the other hand, the sound of the DXT MON in combination with the sub is marvelous. so it would be Hard for the Lintons to top this performance.

regan

The heights of ma DXT are a little too present. I have tested with the treble control on my Yamaha A-S2100. As a result of this, i will try to adjust the serial resistor in front of the tweeter a little but not much.
on the other hand, the sound of the DXT MON in combination with the sub is marvelous. so it would be Hard for the Lintons to top this performance.
Give them a try and if you are not pleased send them back.

kaopad999

I believe Peter Comeau was also behind the design of the Mission LX series.
Would be interesting to see some measurements of them. I own a pair of LX2's and i think they're mighty fine sounding speakers for te price.

Marenou

Hello there,

I would like your opinion on these speaker placement. It on my list for a while now, but I personally do not like the associated stand even if I understand that's probably the best solution for these speaker.

Do you think a "close to the floor", vintage stand, as the one of the JBL Classic 100 for example, can be ok or is it a bad idea with these speaker ? Someone already tried that or use it like that ? How would these type of placement have an impact on the sound ?

il_794xN.4005426041_e0mx.jpg

Thanks for any advice

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello there,

I would like your opinion on these speaker placement. It on my list for a while now, but I personally do not like the associated stand even if I understand that's probably the best solution for these speaker.

Do you think a "close to the floor", vintage stand, as the one of the JBL Classic 100 for example, can be ok or is it a bad idea with these speaker ? Someone already tried that or use it like that ? How would these type of placement have an impact on the sound ?

View attachment 234987

Thanks for any advice
They're your ears... There's nothing inherently wrong with however you set them up , provided you like what you hear...

Marenou

They're your ears... There's nothing inherently wrong with however you set them up , provided you like what you hear...
Thanks for your advice, and I agree with you.

It's just that I don't have these speaker yet. I'm looking for information because I want to use it with these kind of stand and I would like to know if that's not a bad idea...

kaopad999

Hello there,

View attachment 234987

Thanks for any advice
Personally i think it would be absolutely fine. I think the main thing with these speakers is to not have them placed too close to a wall.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Hello there,

View attachment 234987

Thanks for any advice
I'm not an expert, but as far as I know the tweeter for most speakers must point at your ears level. That can happen or not in your case, depending how far you are from the speakers. From the picture it seems to me the angle is a bit too high and say at 3m it may be above your listening position, but I may be wrong about all this. Someone that has those stands can be of more help for sure.

Marenou

Thanks for your feedback and advice.

For sure, if someone have this kind of setup, it could be good to have his feedback.

delta76

Major Contributor
late to the party, but what'd be the pref. score of this speaker? Was it calculated somehow?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
late to the party, but what'd be the pref. score of this speaker? Was it calculated somehow?
Tonality (Preference) Score
  • Tonality (Preference) Score is 6.0 and would be 7.8 with a perfect subwoofer.

Erin provided the raw spinorama data to Pierre. Pierre calculated the preference score, like always.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Good speaker. If I judge from my current (vintage by now) speakers (not Whaferdale), which are similar in design to the Linton, they will be doing well with the bass too. They will need some space to breathe though, mine at least don't like corners and small spaces.

@Marenou Don't know where you live, but have a look at this, pretty good deal (refurbished for 583€, if you don't mind that):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-product-sales.23706/page-20#post-1328062

kaopad999

Love them, great WAF look. Bough them when they came out im happy to see the result posted here.
Amazing performance/value/lookView attachment 235111
Mate, they look fantastic and they fit really well with the rest of your room.
When i eventually move to a bigger place, these speakers will be first on my list.
What amps are you using there?

Top Bottom