• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PIR
Howdy sorry but surprised with the examining of the PIR in this thread in what appears to be an attempt to hear the speakers.
It is my understanding that this is not what the PIR is.
I believe it is fairly clear in Toole's book. You can not hear the speaker from looking at the PIR - that PIR is novel and only a modestly useful component of the whole data package.
It is not granular and it is not really what is heard in room nor capable of communication what myriad of values of sound energy are hitting the ear/brain system….I see regular use of PIR analysis at a level which seems to me beyond the scope of the predictions intended value as a tool.

You’re not the only one!! Many seem unaware of Dr. Olive “curve drawing” study, in which trained listeners perception of speaker FR tracked the anechoic listening axis.

I’m honestly surprised by the gushing over this speaker based on the measurements. Specifically, the midrange/tweeter dispersion disruption shown in the horizontal polar map, which usually correlated with upper mid colorations in my experience. Maybe it’s worth auditioning - always good to challenge one’s preconceptions.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You’re not the only one!! Many seem unaware of Dr. Olive “curve drawing” study, in which trained listeners perception of speaker FR tracked the anechoic listening axis.

I’m honestly surprised by the gushing over this speaker based on the measurements. Specifically, the midrange/tweeter dispersion disruption shown in the horizontal polar map, which usually correlated with upper mid colorations in my experience. Maybe it’s worth auditioning - always good to challenge one’s preconceptions.
In several reviews @amirm has remarked that a speaker has sounded better than he thought it would based strictly on its measurements. I don't believe it's yet been determined exactly what positive qualities have overcome less positive measurements to make the total listening experience better than expected.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yes i need to know about these too, even the bookshelf line, i can't find anything in the internet, i was searching about them and they look very good and hope they sound good
I found the Elysian 2 measurements from Stereoplay
*Thank you stereoplay* so much
Directivity looks fine and overall very good
1659289075122.png
6wPFUEfRTy.jpg

AC1

No, it just that his understanding about what is important in a loudspeaker is lacking.

Oh, I suppose that has led to very different and mediocre measurement results. Mind over measuring!

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I suppose that has led to very different and mediocre measurement results.
Yes, his measurements are very limited compared to the full Klippel NFS spinorama, even more when choosing a wrong acoustic centre. Also as the EAC measurements show the Linton measures better off-axis with the grilles on.

Slyman

God damn i wish they have gone with more elegant or tilted speaker stands. Its a beautiful speakers, the stands however...

JaccoW

Danny must have had a bad pair ....

I like how virtually 90% of the comments is from people who actually own them and disagree with him. Many of them even saying they wouldn't want his modifications because it would change what they like about the speakers.

regan

How would Denton compare to these? Anyone had the oportunity to listen both?
Can't find Denton measurements to compare

JaccoW

How would Denton compare to these? Anyone had the oportunity to listen both?
Can't find Denton measurements to compare
45Hz - 20kHz instead of the 40Hz -20kHz of the Linton. So not as low but generally people seem pleased with them.

Darvis

45Hz - 20kHz instead of the 40Hz -20kHz of the Linton. So not as low but generally people seem pleased with them.

This guy makes really nicely produced videos but he's unfortunately from the "What HIFI" school of journalism. I wouldn't take anything of what he says seriously.

Robert C

regan

Robert C

What about mids and highs? And soundstage?
My subjective opinion of the Denton 80th's is that they have a relaxed, non-fatiguing sound. The soundstage seems 'normal', by which I mean not overly exaggerated in a 'hi-fi' way. Chamber music, for instance, is appropriately diffuse. When I listen to them I don't really think about mids, highs, and soundstage all that much. I just enjoy the music.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
.... I auditioned the Linton with an eye to upgrading, but thought the bass seemed too large and disconnected from the rest of the music.

I have that same experience with any loudspeaker positioned badly or if listened nearfield and it wasn't meant to by construction. I added wheels instead of spikes on my speaker stands so i can easily move them on a daily basis. They are positioned bellow the TV and near the front wall most of the day. When the night falls and kids go to bed, i pull them out and spread them to the listening position. The difference in sound is enormous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom