• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale EVO 4.1 Review (Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 67 26.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 142 56.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.5%

• Total voters

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd like to hear about technical aspects that contributed to your conclusion - other than line-up name, of course.

Thanks.

Supes323

I currently have the 4.4’s and find the sound very impressive. I normally replace speakers every year due to being unfulfilled and ultimately wanting more however these are the only speakers I truly am satisfied with.

I sold my more expensive atc scm40a for the 4.4 as I found the overall sound that good.

I have owned perhaps 15+ speakers prior to that and demo lots more.

Wide sweet spot, wide and deep soundstage, nice and airey, very neutral and non fatiguing but exciting enough to not be boring. Its difficult to criticise them as there is no particular area to fault them.

Yes, other speakers I have owned / heard do some particular elements better but there is always a flaw or compromise. I dont know of any speaker that is just so well rounded.

My best all rounders to date and excellent value for money IMO.

The 4.2’s are similar but with less room filling sound. Unsure how well the 4.1’s sound but they must share some of that dna / character.

Walter

Seeing as how the midrange contains the frequencies we are most sensitive to, I think it is very difficult to extrapolate how a 3 way speaker will sound from the review of a similar 2 way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Forgot the impedance graph?
Oops. Added to the review:

index.php

jmillar

so majority of the money that you will pay for a pair of these goes to Aesthetics. i was contemplating on buying the 4.2S but i opted to buy a friend's Revel M16 Instead.
The 4.2 has good FR, but only if you sit squarely in the "sweet spot". If you remain there it is actually a very good speaker.

Different radiation patterns of the three transducers mean that "out of the optimum" area things degrade quickly.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is some crazy ass drop off for 10 degrees...
Mind you the 10° measurement is vertical and similar to the 30° horizontal one they show, a long driver like such AMT or ribbon always beams more vertically, which can be an advantage though in some listening rooms.

MarkWinston

Mind you the 10° measurement is vertical and similar to the 30° horizontal one they show, a long driver like such AMT or ribbon always beams more vertically, which can be an advantage though in some listening rooms.
If that 10 degrees is vertical, people that own those better have the exact seat height for their ears, or better, a height adjustable seat. Thats a massive drop for 10 degrees vertical dont you think?

MarkWinston

It is large, on the other hand above 10 kHz there is not so much "music" and as said is rather the case on vertically large tweeters like some AMTs or ribbons.

Depends on what kind of music one is listening to though, that fall off is one of the worst Ive seen. Just too narrow a sweet spot, for me at least.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tall AMT tweeter is beaming
We listened to the EVO 4.4 at Audio Element, and that is just what it sounded like. Extremely "Sweet-spot-ish." We much preferred their Linton Heritage.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you expand a bit? Thanks :)
Well, I could try eating more donuts I suppose :D

As for the EVO 4.4, they sounded quite good in the sweet spot listening chair. Good bass and all that. But the minute either of us got out of the chair the upper frequencies collapsed. The Lintons and the Diamond 6.5" 2-way played music all through their space, very pleasant, you could enjoy the music anywhere. Not so the EVO 4.4, so my friend said "no way" because he never listens in the sweet spot.

AntGom

The Diamond 11.4 are running off a Denon AVR-2312Ci. At that spot I am moving some stuff around so haven't run Audyssey.
Thanks...i was thinking about the diamond 11.3 as i was found them at very low price...but i can't listen them and i think they need a high power amp...

Top Bottom