• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Elysian series

boogeroo

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, I have been lurking around reading measurements of power-amps. Lately I have been developing a deepening itch to get 'better' speakers or 'heavier child-safe' ones as my toddler managed to almost knock over my existing speakers.

My present pair is a Quad Z3, which sounds subjectively better than my previous B&W 603s, the dealer that I bought the Quads from also carry the Wharfedale Elysian range, I had a quick listen and I find the sound very similar to the Quads but with more body or presence for cello passages, however its difficult to find reviews online with detailed measurements, the same is true for the Quad Z3s.

I hope ASR would review something in that series or if someone knows where detailed measurements of the Elysian exist please point me to it, for the price I'd like to feel more confident about its capabilities before ponying up the cash.

Cheers!

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious why some speakers get so much reviews and some brands almost nothing.
IMO it's due to different marketing strategy.
If you are from UK or nearby (BW>Quad>Wharfedale?) most probably they are relying on "historical background".
Quad and Elysian must sound close, because they both are IAG brands and I suppose some engineering supervision is done by same people. Or at least engineering targets/performance indicators.

FeddyLost

which can sound too bright sometimes
Check out angled FR in this graph. If it's not a nearfield monitor (big 3-way with spaced drivers usually is not), in furnished room it might sound comfortable.
AMTs w/o waveguides tuned for flat FR in midfields and farfields most probably will sound dull for untrained listeners.

FeddyLost

but at higher SPL the woofer struggles
It's still single 8" looking very similar to 22W/4534G00, so that's not a surprise.
For sure, it will not handle loud deep bass very good and max spl mentioned 102 Db/m (as we see, AMT also suffers at 100 Db).
So, if one needs more clean bass, there is Elysian 4 with more displacement.

Top Bottom