• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

OP
M

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With that condition its in, they do not even have the right to be angry even if you returned it 10 times. The speaker you have now looks awful and I definitely couldnt and wouldnt live with it.

nick779

Got a second set on Saturday. Still has some marks, but they aren't nearly as bad and the tweeters are at least centered.

I reached out to Crutchfield to ask if they could have the warehouse check a few more before shipping to me. They went through 5 more pairs and all of them had those marks is varying degrees. I ended up just taking another scratch and dent refund offer instead, but at least they sound fantastic.

They said they'll be reaching out to Wharfedale USA about this considering how many have had damage so far.

I do not remember the 12.1s having these scuffs.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Got a second set on Saturday. Still has some marks, but they aren't nearly as bad and the tweeters are at least centered.

I reached out to Crutchfield to ask if they could have the warehouse check a few more before shipping to me. They went through 5 more pairs and all of them had those marks is varying degrees. I ended up just taking another scratch and dent refund offer instead, but at least they sound fantastic.

They said they'll be reaching out to Wharfedale USA about this considering how many have had damage so far.

I do not remember the 12.1s having these scuffs.

My 3 sets of 12.2s do not have any scuffs, shiny new. But if you can live with that, it should be ok. Maybe try polishing it out? I have yet to come across any speaker below 1k that sounds as good, even the R200 which I bought after I saw the measurements. I also previously had the DBR62 and Q350, and there is just no way those speakers can touch the 12.2 especially in the mids. Heck I do not use my OG LS50s anymore and that says something. Planning to get the 12.4 real soon, after I go listen to them early next month.

nick779

My 3 sets of 12.2s do not have any scuffs, shiny new. But if you can live with that, it should be ok. Maybe try polishing it out? I have yet to come across any speaker below 1k that sounds as good, even the R200 which I bought after I saw the measurements. I also previously had the DBR62 and Q350, and there is just no way those speakers can touch the 12.2 especially in the mids. Heck I do not use my OG LS50s anymore and that says something. Planning to get the 12.4 real soon, after I go listen to them early next month.
Good to know on the R200s as they were on my short list of "stretch" budget picks. I still like the extra sparkle the Q150s had in the treble, but the Wharfedales just have so much "meat" in the mids. They're so nice to listen to long term too.

I'll probably try some light polishing compound, but I can feel the indentation with my fingernail so I'm not optimistic. There's residue on the edges of the grilles, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it.

I definitely think these are my long term speakers until I have room for 3 way towers (preferred) or subs(which would require some sort of passive crossover to implement properly). I was going to go the inexpensive amp route with a cheap Class D, a Sony or maybe the A-S301, but figured the extra RMS power/quality of the Yamaha A-S501 was worth the long term investment. I don't know a whole lot about amps though other than you generally don't need much for near field, and 25w is much louder than it sounds like it would be. The higher powered Yamahas should have much more power on tap for dynamics though at more moderate listening volumes.

501 vs 301
Minimum RMS output power: 8 Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.019% THD - 85W vs 60W
6 Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.038% THD - 100W vs 70W
Power band width: 0.04% THD, 8 Ω, 10 Hz to 50 kHz - 42.5W vs 30 W
Total harmonic distortion: CD, etc. to SPEAKERS (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.019 % or less) 45W vs 30W

OP
M

MarkWinston

Good to know on the R200s as they were on my short list of "stretch" budget picks. I still like the extra sparkle the Q150s had in the treble, but the Wharfedales just have so much "meat" in the mids. They're so nice to listen to long term too.

I'll probably try some light polishing compound, but I can feel the indentation with my fingernail so I'm not optimistic. There's residue on the edges of the grilles, but I'm not sure if that's what caused it.

I definitely think these are my long term speakers until I have room for 3 way towers (preferred) or subs(which would require some sort of passive crossover to implement properly). I was going to go the inexpensive amp route with a cheap Class D, a Sony or maybe the A-S301, but figured the extra RMS power/quality of the Yamaha A-S501 was worth the long term investment. I don't know a whole lot about amps though other than you generally don't need much for near field, and 25w is much louder than it sounds like it would be. The higher powered Yamahas should have much more power on tap for dynamics though at more moderate listening volumes.

501 vs 301
Minimum RMS output power: 8 Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.019% THD - 85W vs 60W
6 Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.038% THD - 100W vs 70W
Power band width: 0.04% THD, 8 Ω, 10 Hz to 50 kHz - 42.5W vs 30 W
Total harmonic distortion: CD, etc. to SPEAKERS (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.019 % or less) 45W vs 30W

The trick here is to find the cleanest, neutral, revealing amp and dac and pair it up with the 12.2s. The 12.2s dont like anything 'coloured', and I consider the A-S301coloured, not so much tonally but how they artificially stretch the soundstage ALONG with the singer, which I hated when I had them. Even with Pure Direct, this trait seems to persist. I have paired the 12.2s up with many amps and they finally snapped together with the surprising (and cheapest) combo of the SMSL DA9 (also the PA5) and the Topping D70S. Im not one of those 'all dacs sound the same' guys, the D70S really gave the 12.2 an ENORMOUS soundstage, something more that I could ever imagine. Take a good look at the said combo, it would perform way better than the 301 and even the 501s.

nick779

The trick here is to find the cleanest, neutral, revealing amp and dac and pair it up with the 12.2s. The 12.2s dont like anything 'coloured', and I consider the A-S301coloured, not so much tonally but how they artificially stretch the soundstage ALONG with the singer, which I hated when I had them. Even with Pure Direct, this trait seems to persist. I have paired the 12.2s up with many amps and they finally snapped together with the surprising (and cheapest) combo of the SMSL DA9 (also the PA5) and the Topping D70S. Im not one of those 'all dacs sound the same' guys, the D70S really gave the 12.2 an ENORMOUS soundstage, something more that I could ever imagine. Take a good look at the said combo, it would perform way better than the 301 and even the 501s.
That kind of soundstage detail is probably above my paygrade. Personally speaking I don't really trust the SMSL amps for long term use over a full size integrated amp either. I did try a few sets of speakers, but just tried to pick the best amp in my opinion for my budget. I did not audition multiple.

I'm a budget hi-fi newcomer looking to expand my musical horizons with a solid stereo setup that supports wireless streaming (airplay 2 or AAC over BT 5.0) and a turntable for under ~$1500. I experienced a true soundstage reproduced by speakers for the first time a month or so ago with the Q150s in a very bad placement scenario, but I was amazed with the detail and placement I could visualize when I really listened to the music closely. Everyday use though, this is a "room stereo" not a listening room setup with proper placement.

So far I have the 12.2s, the A-S501, Pluto 2 Preamp, Auris Blume HD BT Receiver. Roughly $1370 in it so far. Planning on a TT upgrade later this year.

catbb67

I have the 12.2 for almost two weeks, listening for at least a couple of hours everyday. It sounds clear on the high but bass is a bit too much in this specific space. It sounds more balance and better at my main system's space. I power it with an old Yamaha AVR, also tried Emotiva XPA-200, streaming from Roon-->RopieeeXL--> SMSL SU-8. I even moved the 12.2 3+ feet (from back of speakers) away from front wall and it didn;t change much. Now the space I use them in does cause some extra bass. It is near a corner of a 23ftX23ft room. When I run my JBL lsr5 (borrowed from my digital piano), the extra bass is not as prominent. I think the JBLs sound more natural in the space. With good quality music, both sound good. But poor recording, the 12.2s make them more pleasant. But the JBLs just tell it like it is. I would want to buy a new pair of JBL 305 or 306 for this space instead of the 12.2. I am torn as the 12.2 sound great otherwise and sure look a hell lot better than the JBL 3's. The 12.2 also feel much more solid to the touch, knock, etc. But sound alone, I prefer the JBL I can achieve better sound for me with the JBLs for less $ and not needing a separate amp and treating the room for the 12.2 to tame the bass. Taking into account the whole package, sound, build quality, price and aesthetics, they are close to a tide. The thing is if I keep the 12.2s, I will itch for a better amp very soon. Actually, the I am already looking at a new amp for them. Intellectually, I should go with the JBLs and finish this 3rd system. But my heart leans to the Diamond. :)
BTW, I got the 12.2s from Crutchfield "scratch and dent" for $512. Other than the box a bit beat up, the speakers look brand new, no scratch or dent anywhere.

Last edited:

nick779

I have the 12.2 for almost two weeks, listening for at least a couple of hours everyday. It sounds clear on the high but bass is a bit too much in this specific space. It sounds more balance and better at my main system's space. I power it with an old Yamaha AVR, also tried Emotiva XPA-200, streaming from Roon-->RopieeeXL--> SMSL SU-8. I even moved the 12.2 3+ feet (from back of speakers) away from front wall and it didn;t change much. Now the space I use them in does cause some extra bass. It is near a corner of a 23ftX23ft room. When I run my JBL lsr5 (borrowed from my digital piano), the extra bass is not as prominent. I think the JBLs sound more natural in the space. With good quality music, both sound good. But poor recording, the 12.2s make them more pleasant. But the JBLs just tell it like it is. I would want to buy a new pair of JBL 305 or 306 for this space instead of the 12.2. I am torn as the 12.2 sound great otherwise and sure look a hell lot better than the JBL 3's. The 12.2 also feel much more solid to the touch, knock, etc. But sound alone, I prefer the JBL I can achieve better sound for me with the JBLs for less $ and not needing a separate amp and treating the room for the 12.2 to tame the bass. Taking into account the whole package, sound, build quality, price and aesthetics, they are close to a tide. The thing is if I keep the 12.2s, I will itch for a better amp very soon. Actually, the I am already looking at a new amp for them. Intellectually, I should go with the JBLs and finish this 3rd system. But my heart leans to the Diamond. :)
BTW, I got the 12.2s from Crutchfield "scratch and dent" for $512. Other than the box a bit beat up, the speakers look brand new, no scratch or dent anywhere.
It might be worth trying to stuff some foam into the port to attenuate the bass response.

catbb67

It might be worth trying to stuff some foam into the port to attenuate the bass response.
I tried that by plugging them completely and partially. It reduced the bass but also changed the overall sound quality and they were not as pleasant anymore. May experiment more this weekend to find a balance somehwere. Unfortunately I can't pull them away from the wall further or they won't survive the week with boys running around.

Hi all. I have just bought a used pair of Wharfedale Diamond 121s. Can anyone tell me the difference between these and 12.1s, or are they the same?

Willem

Major Contributor
I consider the A-S301coloured, not so much tonally but how they artificially stretch the soundstage ALONG with the singer, which I hated when I had them.
Do you have any scientific evidence for this claim? The published measurements for these Yamaha amplifiers have shown perfectly neutral amplifiers. I bought an AS 501 for my daughter and it is sonically completely transparent, even when used with speakers well above its pay grade.

Chaconne

Hi all. I have just bought a used pair of Wharfedale Diamond 121s. Can anyone tell me the difference between these and 12.1s, or are they the same?
The 121 and the 12.1 are different speakers. So if there's not a dot between the 12 and the 1, it is a 121, an earlier speaker. If you search for images of both, you should see the visual differences.

The 121 and the 12.1 are different speakers. So if there's not a dot between the 12 and the 1, it is a 121, an earlier speaker. If you search for images of both, you should see the visual differences.
Gotcha. I haven't hooked them up yet but from what I've read they're regarded as a good speaker.

pnobrega

Hi. ATM i can buy the diamond 12.1 or the diamond 12.2 with the 12.2 being only 50€ more expensive than the 12.1.

Should I go for the 12.2?

For now the main use is for connecting to a loxjie A30 with a turntable and a roonpie for HR audio.
In the future they probably will be part of my home cinema setup.

Thanks

RndJeff

Hi. ATM i can buy the diamond 12.1 or the diamond 12.2 with the 12.2 being only 50€ more expensive than the 12.1.

Should I go for the 12.2?

For now the main use is for connecting to a loxjie A30 with a turntable and a roonpie for HR audio.
In the future they probably will be part of my home cinema setup.

Thanks
If you have the space to not have them too close to the wall and you’re planning for home cinema later, 12.2 sounds like the better investment to me.

Willem

Major Contributor
The downside of the models with the bigger woofer is that integration between woofer and tweeter becomes a bit harder for the designer.

is right use 12.2 with no space in the rear wall? actually i have only 6-8cm of space in the rear
or maybe is better the 220diamond that has the bass reflex in the bottom?
o better choose 12.2?

momonone

is right use 12.2 with no space in the rear wall? actually i have only 6-8cm of space in the rear
or maybe is better the 220diamond that has the bass reflex in the bottom?
o better choose 12.2?
same question, anyone can help?

ZööZ

I have my 12.2 about 10cm away from the ceiling and have no problems using them, they sound grrrreat even when I use them alone in stereo, I haven't tried them without room correction from the ceiling though. With audyssey no problem.

edit, and many manufacturer sources cite (if my memory doesn't fail me I have read this at least from genelec's website) that the diameter of the port is enough of a gap between a rear ported speaker and wall... there will be bass boost but nothing that is excessive... but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom