• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Denton 80th vs Elac DBR62

jan0bra

Hey Guys! After being traumatised by the Klipsch RP600Ms I'm looking for a fuller sounding speaker with no gap in the mids :D
I came across Wharfedale Denton 80th and the Elac DBR62. I would run them with my 50W per Channel Audiolab 6000a. Both are in my price range, but only the elac is reviewed here.

Here are some measurements of the dentons:
https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index....e-denton-80th-anniversay-edition.html?start=3

which one would you pick?

Last edited:

pdfield34

If at all possible, spend an extra $500 and get the Revel performa m105 - while they are on sale. They are at a whole other level when compared to the DBR62. Well worth it. Speaking for the DBR62, the reviews don't lie. They are fine speakers. From your measurements, they look to have slight edge over the Denton's. Denton's appear to be warmer, but this is just a guess. No experience with the Denton's. The Revel's don't have all the bass of the Elacs, but this can be solved by a cheap subwoofer down the road - not to say the bass of the 105's is bad, they just don't have quite the extension.

OP
J

jan0bra

hey thanks pdfield! I looked them up and they look marvelous, but unfortunately they're really hard to get out here in Germany... :/

Streamc

DBR 62. Denton is good with pathos amp. I have listened in different condition.
Get decent amp.
85 did not impress me with Marantz pm8006.

bicho_solto

I’ve heard them both and preferred the sound of the Dentons. Their midrange seemed more natural and it had a “smoother” top end. Also the dentons are a much better match with the audiolab 6000a than the Elacs are.

OP
J

jan0bra

there have been quite a few deals with the 85th version, bring them down to sub 700eur range (Shipping from France). I think they are pretty on par with DBR62 when it comes to measurements.
Would it be possible for you to try at home?

I'm selling my 600ms finally :D Think I will get about 300-350€ denton 80th sell new about 400€ and about 300€ from ebay (same as the elacs). think thats more my budget at the moment :)

pdfield34

Cool. I'm not too smart about logistics - but will Crutchfield not ship internationally?
If you needed to save up, (if it were me) I would definitely wait to move up to something like the Revels. Totally worth it. Maybe get a cheap EQ solution to take care of the dip with the Klipsch's.
If not, I had great success with B stock Elac DBR from the Elac store - if you are able to do that. Should be around $500.
The ultra respect for Revel on this site is justified.

posvibes

You could try Amir's advice.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the advice! I think i will Go with the dentons!
Maybe give them a listen if you can? But ELAC DBR, Denton 80, Denton 85, The 2 Revel M105, the Revel Concerta bookshelves would all probably benefit at some point from a subwoofer. They are all good speakers though with different strengths and all have weaknesses as well.

YSC

Major Contributor
Elac seems better measuring on paper, but both seems need a sub and measures good enough, it maybe more to your brand/look preference on the choice. objectively I would definitely go for the Elac

Top Bottom