• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale 12.1 Bookshelf Speaker Review (by EAC)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose it confirms Kippel is consistent in at least two locations by two users.
Am sure Klippel has calibration standards to ensure consistency. Should not have to rely on ad hoc circumstances to get comparable results from the same measurement rigs. Can definitively state that testing 2 different speakers is not a solid approach (even if exact same brand and model). Otoh, as we have seen, slight differences in mic setups can cause significant measurement diffs. However, you do not need a Klippel to know this but am pretty sure it is even more of a challenge…

This is why I readily accept close results within reasonable tolerances. Even if you had 2 systems in adjacent locations testing the same speaker with the same Klippel measurement setup, would still likely have slightly different measurement results. This could be due to mic boom diffs or different mic surrounds or some other difference in the measurement chain. Distortion measurements are even more susceptible to small system differences.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am sure Klippel has calibration standards to ensure consistency. Should not have to rely on ad hoc circumstances to get comparable results from the same measurement rigs. Can definitively state that testing 2 different speakers is not a solid approach (even if exact same brand and model). Otoh, as we have seen, slight differences in mic setups can cause significant measurement diffs. However, you do not need a Klippel to know this but am pretty sure it is even more of a challenge…

This is why I readily accept close results within reasonable tolerances. Even if you had 2 systems in adjacent locations testing the same speaker with the same Klippel measurement setup, would still likely have slightly different measurement results. This could be due to mic boom diffs or different mic screens or some other difference in the measurement chain. Distortion measurements are even more susceptible to small system differences.

You would be surprised how consistent the Klippel is even with two units when it's a higher end unit with tighter quality control.

index.php

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would be surprised how consistent the Klippel is even with two units when it's a higher end unit with tighter quality control.

index.php
Lol, I suspect your animation is illustrating just what I stated but just to be sure, please explain it a bit more.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's Erin vs Amir's KEF R3 spin.
Thanks, but suggest this is veering further off topic here. Perhaps we need another thread?

beaRA

Repeatability and reproducibility are too often deprioritized in science. There's nothing wrong with Erin measuring the same speaker model as Amir. He may reach a different audience on YouTube than Amir and the data certainly won't be redundant for those folks.

hex168

So, am supposed to listen to the Elac video to find out about why he bought the Wharfedale? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but mainly just look at the measurements. Prefer how Amir does subjective reviews that I can readily peruse if I want. :)
I also prefer written subjective reviews. I get the same information in 1/10 the time. I have to say, though, I appreciate the Klippel results on the same speaker. I consider it a measure of unit consistency, important when folks are relying on the Klippel-derived EQ values. The A130 is a good example.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Repeatability and reproducibility are too often deprioritized in science. There's nothing wrong with Erin measuring the same speaker model as Amir. He may reach a different audience on YouTube than Amir and the data certainly won't be redundant for those folks.
Not at all, it’s in the back of everyone’s head like some sort of sleep paralysis demon.

No one wants to waste 5 to 10 years of their lives on a project only to end up with non-reproducible findings

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
great point , i keep forgetting there are other audiences out there that maybe exclusively video/ yt...

warpdrive

I am interested in this speaker so I welcomed Erin's take that it was a laid back speaker. That's a good takeaway to have and is giving me second thoughts about trying this speaker. Amir immediately tried to fill in the midrange dip, but he didn't do enough to describe speaker without EQ, which is the way I'm using it (I might use room correction though as I'd run it through an AVR)

I would have liked it if Erin measured the 12.0 or 12.2 speaker just to give an idea if the flaws in the 12.1 show up in their other speakers. The 12.2 is more of a speaker which could be used without a sub, whereas the 12.0 needs one and given the f3, the 12.1 should be also.

Top Bottom