• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

whaferdale evo 4.3

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hey hello.

In my country wf evo have a nice price tag, and the construccion seems to be good, only the spikes are made of plastic ?, well.

But my queston is, it's worth an upgrade going to kef r3 -> to wf evo 4.3 in a small room ?, 5.25'' x2 + bigger cab or 6.5'' from my bokshelf?, are they good as my r300? im using my speakers with EQ and im happy but just curious because they have a good price tag xD, Wf evo doesn't have much information here

Toni71

For what it`s worth. I've owned the EVO4.4 , and the R3, now listening to the R11.

The R3 filled my room good enough. 5.40m x 10.5m. On the short side. Could make me deaf.
Plus the R3 is much more fun to listen to. With the EVO there was something missing in the sound. I couldnt position them right. I was always moving them. Room correction didnt work either. I didnt like the sound.

Buy the R3. ;)

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For what it`s worth. I've owned the EVO4.4 , and the R3, now listening to the R11.

The R3 filled my room good enough. 5.40m x 10.5m. On the short side. Could make me deaf.
Plus the R3 is much more fun to listen to. With the EVO there was something missing in the sound. I couldnt position them right. I was always moving them. Room correction didnt work either. I didnt like the sound.

Buy the R3. ;)
if i sell my r300 the r3 gonna cost me nearly to 2.5x the price of my r300s.... i think im gonna wait for r3 meta xD

Toni71

I would wait and not buy the EVO. Maybe you like it. I'll advice you to listen before buying them.
Don't buy a speaker before listening, because it is cheap.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
To be honest im pretty happy with my r300 + purifi + EQ to my taste.. xD, i had only curiosity because that tower looks very nice, and maybe the tower is better than my r300's

Toni71

Nah. I would keep your setup. Have fun. ;)

(The AMT tweeter was very nice, I missed something in the overall sound production, I couldn't put my finger on what. Didn't liked it. They for sure won't give you the stereo imaging the R3 produces)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
The Uni-Q driver has had decades of development and response tuning (in lower more commercial models especially I remember) and I believe KEF had state of the art research facilities too. If you're happy with the way that basic driver design works and 'disperses' the sound in your room, I'd seriously look further up the KEF ladder as the chosen option as these days, they seem to be calming down and fine tuning the balance back to 'neutral' (some models a while ago went wild up top I recall, almost to 'razor-wire' highs at one point in the past). I suspect the Wharfedales will have totally different design compromises, but haven't heard them.

One other thing if you're UK based. We have a tiny market now and some speaker brands just don't sell or seem as popular these days. I reckon KEF is a very safe bet to sell on should you ever wish to in the future...

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The Uni-Q driver has had decades of development and response tuning (in lower more commercial models especially I remember) and I believe KEF had state of the art research facilities too. If you're happy with the way that basic driver design works and 'disperses' the sound in your room, I'd seriously look further up the KEF ladder as the chosen option as these days, they seem to be calming down and fine tuning the balance back to 'neutral' (some models a while ago went wild up top I recall, almost to 'razor-wire' highs at one point in the past). I suspect the Wharfedales will have totally different design compromises, but haven't heard them.

One other thing if you're UK based. We have a tiny market now and some speaker brands just don't sell or seem as popular these days. I reckon KEF is a very safe bet to sell on should you ever wish to in the future...
oh no im from latam c:
My dream is the kef reference 1 black/orange im in love with that speakers c: it just cost too much

Reactions: Zvu

Toni71

' they seem to be calming down and fine tuning the balance back to 'neutral'

Smooth sound coming from the R11. :)
Also the R3.

A friend had the R900 And the R300. Now the R7. He confirmed also the somewhat lesser brightness ( I am no expert, just my words trying to describe).

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
' they seem to be calming down and fine tuning the balance back to 'neutral'

Smooth sound coming from the R11. :)
Also the R3.

A friend had the R900 And the R300. Now the R7. He confirmed also the somewhat lesser brightness ( I am no expert, just my words trying to describe).
i use eq to tame the high's in my r300, i like a bit smooth the sound from my speakers and also my headphones c:

Toni71

EQ is here the advice on the forum, I think. No perfect speakers. :)

But I don't EQ the R11.

Enjoy them. :)

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
EQ is here the advice on the forum, I think. No perfect speakers. :)

But I don't EQ te R11.

Enjoy them. :)
its just personal taste, i eq down the 5-8khz region in every sound system that i have, and maybe the 3khz but it depend. Im just too sensitive to those regions, maybe because im 25? i don't know, but it hurt my ears if those regions sound louder than the others

Barry_Sound

Reviving this thread. I think the point of the EVOs is the forwardness of the midrange / vocals + good AMT tweeter but listening position is hit or miss.

The design must work for Wharfedale because they just relaunched the whole line (now "Aura") with a little tweak to the case finish and they doubled the price. I was told the crossover is the same.

First Evo, second Aura

Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-22 um 21.41.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-22 um 21.42.08.png

Top Bottom