• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WH-XM3 sound as wide as SHP9500?

So I was recently interested in getting headphones with a big soundstage, as it'd be great to have music come from around you. I spent a lot of time researching virtual surround software, and am currently using HeSuVi which is giving me great results. However, as the XM3s are closed back, I expected the SHP9500s (I just got an hour ago), rated as one of the highest passive soundstage by rtings for under 200$, to be a noticeable difference.

There's a bit more openness as the ears get a breeze from open backs, but in terms of how far and how wide the "speakers around the room" experience is, it's almost negligible. When I eq both (with the test setting from Peace), and apply HeSuVi to both, the XM3s sound almost 90-95% of SHP9500. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I expecting too much from 75$? Appreciate any responses.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple things.

Using an HRTF virtualization DSP like HeSuVi will inherently narrow the differences between headphones.

What EQ targets are you using for your headphones?

OP
T
A couple things.

Using an HRTF virtualization DSP like HeSuVi will inherently narrow the differences between headphones.

What EQ targets are you using for your headphones?
I just run the "test" setting on Peace (which uses sine waves to detect hearing thresholds and make an eq based on that) and use that (with SPH I added some bass as well to compensate for the rolloff, didn't feel much of a difference soundstage wise with or without the rolloff though in case that was the culprit). I tried the Harman AutoEQ for both but wasn't a fan.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just run the "test" setting on Peace (which uses sine waves to detect hearing thresholds and make an eq based on that) and use that (with SPH I added some bass as well to compensate for the rolloff, didn't feel much of a difference soundstage wise with or without the rolloff though in case that was the culprit). I tried the Harman AutoEQ for both but wasn't a fan.

I've never tried that EQ method before so I'm not really what it would do to the soundstage. I use my own house curve which is kind of like diffuse field with a bass boots below 100Hz.

OP
T
I've never tried that EQ method before so I'm not really what it would do to the soundstage. I use my own house curve which is kind of like diffuse field with a bass boots below 100Hz.
The thing is, even without any EQ, there is still not much of a difference in wideness (only HeSuVi enabled). I guess that HeSuVi matched my HRTF well enough where having open vs closed drivers doesn't really have as big of an impact.

Can't complain, means the only real upgrade is a 800S but that will be far far away.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is, even without any EQ, there is still not much of a difference in wideness (only HeSuVi enabled). I guess that HeSuVi matched my HRTF well enough where having open vs closed drivers doesn't really have as big of an impact.

Can't complain, means the only real upgrade is a 800S but that will be far far away.

How different do they sound to you without HeSuVi?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With 0 EQ the XM3s are more recessed with overpowering bass, and SPH more clear but almost no bass. Imaging/soundstage wise the unEQ'd SPHs are better, but not even close to SPH or XM3s with HeSuVi.

Sounds like HeSuVi plus that EQ method fits your HRTF pretty well then.

Top Bottom