• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Western Electric, history plus new speakers!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A mixture between a steamengine and a b class,1950, scifi nuclear reactor. Interesting ;)
Not sure why they didn't just stick with the... shall we say... "OEM WE" steampunk aesthetic... ;)
(images below via Silbatone)
maxresdefault.jpg

050819-Silbatone%20WE-600_0.jpg

Or go with something a bit more elegant & home (spouse/S.O.) friendly, such as Joseph Esmilla's take on a classic WE monitor (cabinet built by John Piro):

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

(under construction photo immed. above)

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, tt bears to know that the storied Bell Labs is now owned by ... Nokia, they of the cell phones fame. No longer a leader in this category after having been bought by Microsoft, then ...
I would not be too worried about Nokia. Many cellular backbones around the world are running Nokia technology.

Wherever did those Microsoft phones go…?

Katji

Major Contributor
:oops: fiickin hell. It looks like a retro wood stove from the front, but then I saw the other pic. ...Veneer? [lol] ...is not going to help with aesthetics. And that wing thing sticking out.
I wish there was a video of when they did a presentation for the board of directors. (Maybe there's only one director...) :p

I would much prefer classic brands were allowed to die and be buried decently once they can no longer stand up to today's markets.
Imagine when archeologists in the future unearth one of these things. ... o_O

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
Daleks very outdated now, they look like big vacuum cleaners, Humanoid robots now look much more human. And there are silicone sex dolls. There will soon be robot sex dolls for about the price of Wilson speakers. So if you are going to have loudspeakers like robots...multi-room will be simple, just tell the robots to follow you. And omni-directional, so it sounds good in every position.
So then youtube speaker reviews will be quite different...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Here interesting sound, HiFi history, for those who are interested in such::)

View attachment 204840

View attachment 204842

Plus a new speaker. Of course you want one. I get accocations to a steam locomotive. It does not get better than that, the look of the speakers, he he.;)
Note, I do not know if it is a Western Electric speaker, the construction or if it is "only" the driver from Western Electric in the speaker:

View attachment 204843

Those look like a steam boiler from some 19th century factory. :eek:

Katji

Major Contributor
Better still, replace human reviewers with robots.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds pretty decent for a microphone recording via YouTube. I wonder what they sound like if using a source from 1930.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Congratulations to WE on attaining a new benchmark for ugliness.
Keith
Personally I think they look pretty Kool in that steampunk sort of way and a intended design I'm sure.
Not near as ugly as those huge round horns kits you used to sell Keith. LOL

Although at the opposite end of my audio sensibilities, I have to tip my hat at the line of gear they've brought to market the last couple years. All based around a 1930's look n feel, (and probably sound quality, LOL) if I was rich I might have a toy room full of steampunk styled stuff, I'm just into the art of it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, why not. Need to fix bigger listening room for that, probably fatter wallet too. But beyond that, why not.:)

Interesting. Historic expose.Small lecture about some old speakers, plus listening test. :)

I don't have WAF to consider but that system creates my own rejection....

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't have WAF to consider but that system creates my own rejection....
If you have no use for your basement, then ... # 620

He he.

Screenshot_2022-05-13_082304.jpg

Edit:
Speaking of basements. Here check out the pictures in this thread (many pictures). Sub bass drivers, damn good ones from BMS.:)
(not my system, unfortunately)

DSC07032.jpg

Plus Revel Performa3, F208

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have no use for your basement, then ... # 620

He he.

View attachment 206415
I do actually have somewhat of a basement these days, or at least once closer to it than most of the places I lived in California, but not quite what we had in Illinois. I do use a "basement" bedroom in summer there to escape heat some....

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I do actually have somewhat of a basement these days, or at least once closer to it than most of the places I lived in California, but not quite what we had in Illinois. I do use a "basement" bedroom in summer there to escape heat some....
Cool.:)

I added in my previous post, see the pictures in this thread.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Can probably turn out to be true. I guessed: Expensive::)

From hifinext.com "The model will be priced in the UK around £8,000 per pair." May be a few years before I order.

1651818779251.png

AirBlade-cutviewWeb.jpg

Edit:
Although it might be worth it ... or..It will be interesting to see measurements on it.:)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mid-western homes are hard to beat, large basements, alleys around the back feed garages to store cars, yard maintenance gear, etc. I really miss that part of it, but the weather and state politics is 1000% better here in FL.
I could never go back.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mid-western homes are hard to beat, large basements, alleys around the back feed garages to store cars, yard maintenance gear, etc. I really miss that part of it, but the weather and state politics is 1000% better here in FL.
I could never go back.
LOL my grandparents moved from IL to FL for retirement. They lived in a condo, they had much better stuff in Illinois, particularly my grandpa's basement....a massive space with a full custom bar and slot car setup! Politics in FL you can have, with idiots like Gaetz and deSantis, all yours :) Of course Blagovejevich and Daley et al also had issues. OTOH I don't miss the heat/humidity of either Illinois or Florida :)

Katji

Major Contributor
You know I said I'd figured out that if I were to move to the US, that Miami or somewhere around there on the coast would be best. But a few nights ago I watched some Al Gore thing on climate change and...I made a mental note, home needs to be on a hill, a high apartment, and i'm not going to be around for the long term. Apparently the sea has started backwashing into the stormwater system... :-s
.......Although rather that than be anywhere near swamps with alligators. [tbh/"full disclosure": I wouldn't feel bad if crocodiles go extinct.]

Last edited:
Top Bottom