• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Were/Are the Best Movies in Stereo and Mono?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone else of opinion that the best movies are stereo and mono productions? I'll admit I'm old. But, I can't think of decent hit movie, a "Blockbuster", since The Sting or Once Upon a Time in America .

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
The two you just mentioned above include the original mono audio soundtrack, in addition to a new one in 5.1 surround sound (lossless).
And the same for The Hustler. ...All on Blu-ray.

If you know the movie titles that you want to watch like Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, etc., go here and check it out: https://www.blu-ray.com/

Or do you prefer DVDs, or streaming; Netflix, YouTube, etc.?

I have tons of old classic with mono or stereo audio soundtracks on Blu-ray and DVD (I don't watch DVDs anymore), and now 4K Blu-ray like the original Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, etc.

Is that what you were implying in your quest?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Do you want a list of all the best classic movies from yesteryears like from Charlie Chaplin with Mono silent audio soundtracks? ...And Stereo? And what movie format do you prefer best?

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll take any media format that provides good sound or goes beyond that. I'm just of the opinion that today's focus on action movies is a step backwards from the late sixties and early seventies. Of course, I haven't viewed a Ron Howard film I didn't like. Just my taste in film, I guess.
I'm just curious as to whether I'm alone in this respect.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well the current recording is imo a lot clearer and has a lot more frequency range that can be made use of. A lot of movie dialogue at the time had the bass frequencies cut off and there was an audible shelf where the FR dropped off. Orchestras in particular sounds more full and more involving on well done movies.

As for movies, I feel that the older movies were exciting because I saw a lot of stuff that was more original. Because color and moving pictures were in still being developed so new groundbreaking styles were just being invented. So acting styles, filming styles and pacing was different. Sometimes the pacing was ponderous but sometimes the slowed down pacing is a welcome relaxation.

Having said that, as of late there's been some absolutely fantastic entertainement. I've enjoyed tons of tv shows on Netflix. The access to great movies is now a click away. I've found that nowadays when I watch a movie I tend to enjoy nearly every one. It definitely didn't use to be that way. Most of the stuff I watched decades ago had me bored or just plain confused - especially in the 80's. Try First Man. :) You might enjoy that one if you like stuff about the moon landings.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I like movies that offer dialogue over excessive 'action' of any form.

The Poms do it well. The French even better. Sometimes the Yanks score.

Mono or stereo is fine by me. I am not interested in surround sound - too much bother considering that action-movies are low-priority.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I'll take any media format that provides good sound or goes beyond that. I'm just of the opinion that today's focus on action movies is a step backwards from the late sixties and early seventies. Of course, I haven't viewed a Ron Howard film I didn't like. Just my taste in film, I guess.
I'm just curious as to whether I'm alone in this respect.

No you aren't alone; my movie collection is loaded with old classic movies...the best ranked by the pros and the ones I happen to love too...The Guns of Navarone, and hundreds more. I'm big on old classic movies and music. I got some mono albums, but most are stereo. I'm old fashion.

* Multi surround sound is fun, and I'm also big on fun. I'm big in everything old and new.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure about this. Hitchcock movies had interesting use of sound in usually stereo. Then again, many of his have been very well restored and redone with 5 channel surround which I thought was a travesty when I read about it. But on a good MCH setup it really was a big improvement. And one I think he would have approved of doing.

kriskittybo

I don't think that mono is relevant today in 2019. As for me - stereo is just enough to enjoy movies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The Criterion Collection (Blu-ray & DVD) respect the original Mono & Stereo soundtracks of the great older and newer Classic movies. It's probably the best place in the universe to get what the OP is asking for ...

https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?format=blu-ray

https://www.criterion.com/

https://www.criterion.com/faq

Check your favorite movie titles with original audio soundtracks (mono, stereo) from the film's directors created @ the time they were made. They have an excellent selection of films we love since we were babies to when we became adults along the way, til this very day. The films we love are the ones which emotionally touched us the most. They are among them ... and beyond.

Top Bottom