• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Well measuring DAC with iOS control app?

reza

Is there a well measuring DAC whose volume and input source can be controlled from your iPhone?

I know that big brands like NAD and Marantz have this option, but my plan is to use the DAC in preamp duty into a purifi amp, and really don't want the DAC to become the bottleneck in the signal chain. I would rather stick with one the top performing DACs.

Any suggestions?

F

freemansteve

When say 'control input source', do you mean select between say, streaming services, or physical devices, like DLNA network servers, a CD player's digital out or what?

OP
R

reza

When say 'control input source', do you mean select between say, streaming services, or physical devices, like DLNA network servers, a CD player's digital out or what?
Oh, sorry. I mean physical inputs, like optical, USB, etc.

Zek

Major Contributor
Most DACs have a remote control, so why not use one?

OP
R

reza

I need to be able to remotely control the DAC from my iPhone.

I see a bunch of wifi IR blasters on amazon. Any experience with those? They look like they could work with any DAC that has a remote control.

F

freemansteve

I get this now - I think all it comes down to is:
- Remote control that runs over (eg) WiFi so you can work it from anywhere in the house, which cannot be done with an IR remote.
- Remote+decent DAC that allows switching between physical inputs and volume.
- No need to worry about queuing music files, playlists, CD tracks or stuff like that.

Is that the full requirement list?

OP
R

reza

I get this now - I think all it comes down to is:
- Remote control that runs over (eg) WiFi so you can work it from anywhere in the house, which cannot be done with an IR remote.
- Remote+decent DAC that allows switching between physical inputs and volume.
- No need to worry about queuing music files, playlists, CD tracks or stuff like that.

Is that the full requirement list?

Yes, that sums it up. I have ordered one of those wifi IR blasters to evaluate. If it works, it opens up the possibility of any DAC that comes with a remote, which seems to be most of what I have my eyes on.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Yamaha’s WXC-50 comes to mind. It is controllable via the Musicast app.

OP
R

reza

Just reporting back that the wifi IR blaster does indeed accomplish what I needed. As long as the DAC can receive IR signals, it can be controlled from your phone with one of these devices in place.

Top Bottom