• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome to the New Review Index!

reasons

There should be filters for:

dacs, amps, Dac/amp combos, speaker amps, etc etc

recommended, recommended with EQ only (for headphones) and not recommended

1/4, XLR, 4.4mm etc etc in all categories

Power ratings for amps into a specific ohm (say 32ohm)

Bluetooth/wireless/no

These filters will help support the community to pinpoint info on items that may fit their needs.

chuckt62

Editor
i don’t know how any of those parameters were cataloged in the old DB, but AFAIK none of it exists in this new one. All we have is what you see in the Advanced Search, again AFAIK. I don’t think any ”extended data“ exists for items reviewed over the last 10-12 months. Parsing that date from the text of the newer reviews would be quite painful as you might imagine.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
May I suggest a column for number of output channels for DACs and Interfaces. (Potentially also number of input channels for interfaces).

Database entry for Motu M4 should probably have SINAD listed as 111 not n/a.

TimW

Major Contributor
Gotta say I really don't like the new review index, at least compared to the old one. I click on the filter button and there is no options. The only option is to do an advanced search? In the advanced search fields there are no drop down options, I have to type out the categories I want to search by? And that first page with no clickable links is practically useless. Maybe I just don't understand how it's meant to be used?

Reactions: RHO

RandomEar

Very cool to see the work on this. Some feedback:
  • Many headlines are in the typical link color of this site (medium/dark brown) but are no links. I find that very confusing.
  • I clicked around a long time looking for the search feature. From my point of view, it's not obvious that the topmost categories open it. Maybe a bit fat "SEARCH" field with button and input directly below "Audio Review Dashboard" would be helpful?
  • I tried clicking the category titles (e.g. "Audio Electronics Reviewed 991") to open a refining search in that category, but nothing happened. I think that would be an intuitive (alternate) way to get to the search mask.
  • The "advanced search" button/symbol looks very unassuming to me. I think it should become more obvious what it does and it should be more prominent overall.
I'd like to repeat my comments from May.

My first suggestion would be to change the text colors in the index: The colors are inconsistent with the rest of the forum. While links are blue in the index, they are medium/dark brown everywhere else. Then, there's lots of medium/dark brown text in the index, but it's not linked. On all other pages of the forum, medium/dark brown text designates links.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202210_ASR-BigChart.jpg

This above screen capture is at the masthead in the ASR homepage.
It is often referenced in some posts and threads, yet I have no idea how to get at the actual graph (using a link), which tallies all ASR tested audio hardware.
This graphical top-level representation seems to be ever-encompassing and appears to be an aggregate of all tested hardware.
IMO the graph appears to be great candidate to be an essential part of the "New and Improved" Review Index... but only if the graph can be made 'dynamic' enough to be able work in concert w/the ReviewIndex and it is given more smarts and always kept up-to-date:
For example:
*Live links for each bar/hardware >> to the test/review page,
*Live inter-link'd to ReviewIndex and from ReviewIndex to the above graph,
*Price range >> letter designation; inside each hardware bar,
*?? etc....

I had previously made this suggestion in a PM.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 235409
This above screen capture is at the masthead in the ASR homepage.
It is often referenced in some posts and threads, yet I have no idea how to get at the actual graph (using a link), which tallies all ASR tested audio hardware.
This graphical top-level representation seems to be ever-encompassing and appears to be an aggregate of all tested hardware.
IMO the graph appears to be great candidate to be an essential part of the "New and Improved" Review Index... but only if the graph can be made 'dynamic' enough to be able work in concert w/the ReviewIndex and it is given more smarts and always kept up-to-date:
For example:
*Live links for each bar/hardware >> to the test/review page,
*Live inter-link'd to ReviewIndex and from ReviewIndex to the above graph,
*Price range >> letter designation; inside each hardware bar,
*?? etc....

I had previously made this suggestion in a PM.
I agree that it will be nice if it is improved but how do you access them now?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just discovered it in its totality:
I agree that it will be nice if it is improved but how do you access them now?
Click on "Figure 1. SINAD..." and see it in all its glory.

Now that I discovered it, if the chart is made scrollable (by flipping the x and y axes), it can be much easier (and natural way) to navigate...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just discovered it in its totality:

Click on "Figure 1. SINAD..." and see it in all its glory.

Now that I discovered it, if the chart is made scrollable (by flipping the x and y axes), it can be much easier to navigate...
That post is almost 3 years old.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That graph currently is privately maintained and updated by me. To see the latest version, look at the latest DAC review. My hope is that you all can generate it in a future release of the dashboard.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I was just searching for IEM reviews and I noticed a discrepancy in the "Headphone Type" field.

Some IEMs are type "In-Ear" (The TRUTHEAR Zero for example), while others are type "Cable (IEM)". That makes it hard to look at all IEM reviews at the same time. If the advanced search field would support boolean operators you could do "IEM OR Cable" or sth. like that but it doesn't.

Also there's two headphones in there whose type is "Gaming". I think the categories should be more clear, or at least show me all there are and let me select multiple ones at the same time.

Last edited:

Volumetrik

I wonder if I'm the only one who has noticed, but the review index has not been updated since the 15th of September.

Here is a screenshot of the current review index page. Anyone else can confirm this ?

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 3.16.41 PM.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear Santa,
I have tried to be reeeal good this year and had only one 2-week time out.:(
I promise to be even better in 2023 but only if you make every line item on the 'Master Audio Review Index' page a live-link!
As shown in @Volumetrik's post above but the line items below his screen capture.

Have a jolly Christmas, Santa...:)

Last edited:

Nonick

It wasn't updated, were implementing required changes (from members comments). Due to unforeseen circumstances i was out of order for last three months.
Thats the non updating reason.
I will make required changes in a couple of days.
Best regards

buzwork

It wasn't updated, were implementing required changes (from members comments). Due to unforeseen circumstances i was out of order for last three months.
Thats the non updating reason.
I will make required changes in a couple of days.
Best regards
Awesome. Appreciate the work you've put in @Nonick. Thank you.

Top Bottom