• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome to the New Review Index!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance to add Panthers? :)

krumpol

Works fine, thanks to all folks for keeping the review index up to date and functional.
One small thing I miss from old index is two or more sorting list parameters (price, score, recommendations..) working simultaneously in one list.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion. On Mobile though, horizontal real estate is precious so it won't work as well there.
@amirm can you share visitor device analytics of the forum, the desktop, tablet and mobile visit ratios?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problem many, including me are facing is that the information on the dashboard is not much useful for anyone looking for a review. It’s just statistics. And, the menus are not immediately visible. They are hidden behind a hamburger menu even on a table view. Maybe the menus can be moved or copied to the dashboard and only the last reviews are left on the page. Then, the indexes moved to a new index page.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Zedly

Forum Donor
The new Review Index looks great and is a significant improvement. Thanks to all who worked on it! Having said that, here are some areas for improvement.

The gray "row highlight color" that appears when you hover over a row in the index is too close to the darker color of the alternating colors of the rows. Something like a light blue color (maybe the same color as the outline around the "Search" text field) would be a better choice, IMO.

The "Review Link" for the Revel F226Be points to the Revel site not to the review.

In the Advanced Search, the "Speaker Type" should be a select menu instead of letting you enter free-form text, since there is only a small number of speaker types and people might enter text (e.g. "floorstanding") that doesn't appear in the index.

The N/A entries for "Recommended" are inconsistent and confusing. Some of the entries actually are recommended. In Amir's review of the JBL 305P Mark ii, he writes (in bold), "I can definitely recommend the 305P Mark ii." Other entries are recommended, but by reviewers other than Amir. For example, napilopez speaks very highly of the Dutch & Dutch 8C. Perhaps it should be noted that the "Recommended" column really means "Measured by Amir and recommended by him". Or maybe the entry in the recommended column should mention the reviewer (e.g. "Yes, by napilopez", "Yes, by Amir", etc.)

DWI

Excellent improvement. A few errors, as can be expected, KEF 4C are in standmount, as is the JBL 4309 monitor.

One of my kids phoned me this morning asking what good budget in-ear headphones to buy. There are stacks of these, many around the $30-$40 mark. Would be nice to see some reviews.

In my experience the main audiophile expense is floorstanding speakers. Over half the cost of my system. Here they are called tower speakers. These are what are reviewed/recommended. Amir makes no apology for his access to Revel, the other two that he rates are cheap items purchased from Amazon. So he has not liked any sent in by anyone? Anyone got some Alexxx V?
Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 13.29.50.png

RHO

Major Contributor
It would be really nice if these were clickable. At least the ones on the left.
1653224875536.png

I think this is a more statistics page than a dashboard.

buzwork

Man, I miss being able to filter by 'recommended' and being able to specify a price range. The new format is a big step back, IMHO, without all of the filtering options.

Hopefully 'new review index' 2.0 brings back some of the more useful features.

Update: Somehow I missed the advanced search button.

Last edited:

chuckt62

Editor
Use the advanced search option.
D2382BF0-4979-43EB-A769-4D5AE980EDA9.png

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a good start. Thank you! A few suggestions after a quick try-out:
  1. Dashboard aggregates should be clickable links that apply the corresponding filter
  2. Search features like auto-suggestions and dynamic search would be nice-to-haves
  3. Advanced filters should be sliders with optional direct text entry (like on shopping sites)
  4. It's unclear if the search is limited to the columns shown on the table or if it's a full review content search (it appears to be the latter when tried searching for "active" under Speakers.
  5. When I enter 0 and 80 as the sensitivity range in advanced search, it includes "N/A". It should not, I think?
  6. I saved a filter with a name. Not sure how to find it. The only option I see is to delete it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the problem many, including me are facing is that the information on the dashboard is not much useful for anyone looking for a review. It’s just statistics.
What? If you are looking for a review, that is precisely what it does. If you want to know if I have tested Topping XZY, you can use the index and find it instantly. To use the Search on the forum or google would give you all kinds of links in the middle of the threads and such.

The statistics are only on the dashboard. Click on the respective item on the menu bar and you see the full list you can sort, or search by your criteria.

The idea for this release as I mentioned was to get the foundation right and data correct. This area is NOT a destination where you go and spend time doing things. I specifically wanted to excluded that in this release as to make the work manageable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I enter 0 and 80 as the sensitivity range in advanced search, it includes "N/A". It should not, I think?
Unfortunately the original data has 0 for none. I thought that is fine because there is no speaker with zero sensitivity. I wish we had more speakers with this stat. I will fill them in as I have time.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately the original data has 0 for none. I thought that is fine because there is no speaker with zero sensitivity. I wish we had more speakers with this stat. I will fill them in as I have time.
This might be over-engineering, but if the query range defaults are dynamically limited to the available range with zeroes filtered out, that would be cool. Again, similar to shopping site filters with sliders and defaults.

If the code is open-sourced or shared on github with permissions limited to certain members, I am sure a bunch of us can contribute, unless you already have enough cooks :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom