• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

Blownwoofer78

Hi All, I’ve been a frequent visitor to this site. I am here to bring back the 8-track! Kidding!
I have been into audio since I was a kid. I enjoy the pursuit of very good sound and love the tech too. Science and engineering are important...they can do wonderful things!

cytovette

Hi from Alabama,
Just joined today, I found this site and thought it look pretty good. I am a DIYer and audio nut, actually went to electronics school in the 70s, passed the exams and worked for a while and got out. My real career is in laboratory medicine, now I am semi retired and spend a lot of time fiddling with my gear. I use my electronics training modifying/refurbing/building gear.
This is my current system:
20210812_104828.jpg

20210812_104839.jpg

martytoo

Hello all.

By way of introducing myself I will mention that I am semi-retired and am into vintage 70's an 80's gear.

My biggest wonder in whether there are any audio club type meetings near the Albany NY area. I could use some in person contact with fellow enthusiasts. My preference would be to visit with people that are into fun with audio and not so much into $100,000 + systems.

Marty

nozelos

Hi all

My name is Nuno, I’m from Portugal and I have been listening to music everyday since I was a baby (my first most beloved toy was a radio). When I successfully finished a very critical project in 99 I earned a relevant money prize and I could spend it all in my first more serious hifi system. Still not knowing much about the technical part of the topic but continuing to enjoy music – now with a significantly better sound. And that continued for the following 21 years. Same system – not carefully placed (specially the loudspeakers) – but lots of music, old and new one discovered every week.

Everything changed last year, when I had to move from my previous house and when arriving to the new one I had no clew how to define the layout of the living room and where to put the stereo and the loudspeakers. And I started to read about the topic – and this started the “disgrace” . When, after several attempts of layout, I could for the first time hear a soundstage and have the notion of imaging, a full new world opened to me….

Since then I moved everything back and forth, installed REW, purchased a mic, offered my previous stereo system to my son, purchased a new one, applied acoustic treatment to the room, etc, etc, etc…

And now I have a serious music room where friends (and myself) come to cry.

Until now I was following several hocus-pocus and sooooo-subjective reviewers and audio commentators and now I found you. And I’m so happy for that! Thanks a lot Amir and all the members for the truly wonderful content you make available here.

Attachments

• ZI4V04301.jpg
    ZI4V04301.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 116

RogerBoii64

Hi y'all.

Well, here I am. A clueless hifi noob who's wading into unknown territory. I listen to (a lot of the same) music like 24/7 and have always chased after higher quality/more pleasing sound. It is only recently, however, that I got a little bit more serious and purchased components for my first (hopefully) audiophile-grade setup. I have a budget dac/amp stack and a pair of 250 ohm headphones with my laptop as a source, and am satisfied with how it's sounding so far (note that I'm not too deep into high quality/lossless streams yet, I only have like 3 FLAC files in foobar and haven't started streaming from something like Tidal yet, and I don't know if I ever will because of the costs involved).

But other than a tiny bit of surface-level knowledge and the setup mentioned above, I have nothing, and thus I don't have anything particularly valuable or interesting to say as of now. I just registered on here mostly so I can ask questions whenever I feel like I need some help, and probably not much else, though only time will tell if and how I'll spend more of my time here as I learn more things. If I do, I hope I'll have a great experience on here and hopefully you'll have positive experiences with me as well.

Roger

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi y'all.

Well, here I am. A clueless hifi noob who's wading into unknown territory. I listen to (a lot of the same) music like 24/7 and have always chased after higher quality/more pleasing sound. It is only recently, however, that I got a little bit more serious and purchased components for my first (hopefully) audiophile-grade setup. I have a budget dac/amp stack and a pair of 250 ohm headphones with my laptop as a source, and am satisfied with how it's sounding so far (note that I'm not too deep into high quality/lossless streams yet, I only have like 3 FLAC files in foobar and haven't started streaming from something like Tidal yet, and I don't know if I ever will because of the costs involved).

But other than a tiny bit of surface-level knowledge and the setup mentioned above, I have nothing, and thus I don't have anything particularly valuable or interesting to say as of now. I just registered on here mostly so I can ask questions whenever I feel like I need some help, and probably not much else, though only time will tell if and how I'll spend more of my time here as I learn more things. If I do, I hope I'll have a great experience on here and hopefully you'll have positive experiences with me as well.

Roger
Welcome to ASR. Prepare for a barrage of good information about a wide varies range of topics. There are peeps here that are engineers, Masters, PHDs, scientists and such all contributing. It gets pretty interesting and humbling too. From time to time a funny topic pops up too.

Oldasdrt

Howdy everyone,
Been lurking for awhile, the forum looks like a great place to learn a few things,I've read many reviews here and at the moment looking at portable DAC / AMPS,
From the sticks of N MI,love fishing,dogs,Great Music,pretty women,and definitely beer,not nessessarily in that order,
Thanks for having me or for putting up with me,which may turn out to be the case

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Howdy everyone,
Been lurking for awhile, the forum looks like a great place to learn a few things,I've read many reviews here and at the moment looking at portable DAC / AMPS,
From the sticks of N MI,love fishing,dogs,Great Music,pretty women,and definitely beer,not nessessarily in that order,
Thanks for having me or for putting up with me,which may turn out to be the case
Warning us in his first post! ;) Nice intro…..

storing

Forum Donor
Hi all,
long-time audio/music lover here, electronics/software engineer working mainly in scientific research.
Been out of 'the scene' for over a decade, now lurking around again looking for new gear.
Extremely pleased with this forum, and especially because thanks to this forum (I think) the type of exact measurements I learned to do when I started working now are established in the audio world!

flatstanley

hi! I'm max, I'm very new to everything here and have next to no previous experience but i am very exited to learn more about all of this. I've built some very ****** speakers in the past, and that's about it. I've finally decided to go for some hi fi audio instead of very loud audio, and its been a spectacular decision. its incredible the amount of qualification and knowledge that is on display here, Amir was the vp of graphic media at Microsoft for christ sake.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Another noob here. A bit of background:

Recently retired with a background in (non audio) electronic desgn, followed by a couple of decades of electronic project managment. I recently decided to spend a relatively modest budget on some decent audio kit - to include a turntable (for old guy nostalgia reasons as much as anything else).

So I have the turntable (Rega Planar 3) and a decent pair of entry level floor-stand speakers (Dali Oberon 5's) currently driven by an ageing Sony AVR. Friday I ordered a Rega Brio to replace the AVR (which will be going to my Son when he moves into his new home in a few weeks.

Through this I've been reading all the reviews on gear I can find and as a result came here. What a breath of fresh air. From having an engineering background, I found a place that authoritatively and objectively cuts through the bullshit. As a result I'm hoping you are all going to save me a couple of hundred notes on a DAC - upcoming question in the appropriate place.

thanks for the info so far. Looking forward to learning much more.

Last edited:

bruitblanc

Hello, I work in sound in Paris for a Nationnal radio station. As I work more and more often from home, I set up a small studio in a dedicated room. Your forum is precious to me for the technical choices I make! Cordially, Guillaume.

Last edited:
OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
May not mean anything to anyone else, but thought I'd share this personal ASR forum milestone today... seems I now get the title "major contributor" too. :)

1631676473880.png

Thanks again @amirm for providing a great forum and an excellent resource for the audio community. Also to @BDWoody, @AdamG247 for their contributions and mod duties. I really appreciate the effort that goes into ASR and the members that contribute to it in a positive way.

JSmith

Top Bottom