• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hello everyone @ ASR. :)

I couldn't find a new members section so thought I'd start one... if that is ok @amirm.

I'm from Australia and have been a member of a number of audio and tech forums for well over 20 years.

So g'day everyone, in particular any other Aussies here (@Sir Sanders Zingmore).

I've lurked on this forum a number of times and thought it's about time I joined up!

I'm a little sick of forums that have become repetitive or worse commercial. I like what appears to be an independent forum here, generally free of corporate posts and BS.

I think I fell in love with audio and associated equipment when I was very young. Music is the language of the soul and taste is different for everyone, so it is always subjective from the human perspective.

Don't worry though, I'm not a "golden ear" type audio enthusiast... I have experienced all the old age threads on power cables, interconnects, vinyl vs digital, DAC's etc. etc. so am not here to go through those discussions again... rather meet some like minded people and learn more about the things I enjoy.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
JSmith

16BitAudiophile

Hi, I’m Klaus from Germany.

I actually work professionally with audio, but I am not a technician. I signed up to learn! It seems that Amir has a lot to teach and I’m willing to take it all in.

It’s actually his YouTube videos that convinced me that the reviews are not only to trash products. I sense there is a really great community about sharing around here and I hope I can be part of it!

I bookmarked this website years ago and checked it regularly but never really looked into the forums.

If I have anything to give back, it’s probably IEM-related, which is my expertise.

Thanks for having me!

oldmate

Hi Everybody,

Another Aussie here. Arrived hear after being a member of all the usual forums but like my compatriot above got sick and tired of audiophile nonsense and hype trains.

Have been into music ever since I heard Ricky Nelson's Garden Party - hence the name oldmate as I am old!! I'm currently exploring the many sub genres of metal, my favourites being Post, Sludge, Melodic and Progressive.

The only reviewers I listen to are of course amirm (Just ordered the A50s and E30 so thanks man) and DMS.

Regards to all.

Last edited:

WickedInsignia

Oh my goodness, it's all Aussies today!!
A fellow from down under here. I bounced around HeadFi, r/Headphones and SBAF as a passive observer for a while. Used to be on HeadFi but it proved to be a hive for the most hyped-up mystical subjectivism on the net....and it didn't help that the landing page was a huge ad feed.
Deleted my account after realizing it wasn't worth arguing with people who believed in cable burn-in.

Reddit was a no-go (for obvious reasons) and as for SBAF....I didn't quite fancy lurking for another 4+ years before being accepted into an insular clique.
So now I'm here! Every time I've come around it just felt like a chill and realistic audio forum. I'm sure it has imperfections, but it's a relief to see measurements and objective interpretations instead of audiophiliac metaphors. I don't intend to rock any boats, and it doesn't seem like anyone here is inclined to either.

I thank Amir and everyone else for their dialogues which in turn helped me avoid the snake-oil pitfalls that too many audio enthusiasts fall into.
I've decided my endgame will be the HD600 along with the closest closed-back interpretation of that headphone in the mid-tier price range (whenever that comes along, since I doubt it exists yet!)

Cheers all!

WickedInsignia

oldmate

I meant say cable forum topic not thread. I read that review but already knew what the result would be, especially from audioquest.

Last edited:

WickedInsignia

Also I’ve only just noticed that profile headers don’t show likes/posts here and nobody has a signature showing off all the gear they own.

I can’t begin to tell you how refreshing it is to know I probably won’t be curb-stomped for not owning TOTL gear or not spending my every waking hour posting here haha.

CPR

Forum Donor
Hello everyone. I am Carlos, from Spain.
One of my two great hobbies is music (the other is cars). Although my profession is medicine, I have always had great respect for engineering. Clinical practice grows and progresses thanks to bioengineering and evidence-based medicine, and I think this is a fact that can be extrapolated to other subjects, such as hi-fi industry.
Every time I am interested in any type of device or machine, I worry about investigating the work behind that creation. That is why I value objectivity above all else; something that can be measured can then be evaluated and improved. It seems funny to me that this forum and all the information it offers are free, and instead we have to pay to access specialized magazines to find product reviews in which we are only offered subjectivity. I believe that if you start from the evidence that scientific experimentation offers you to develop your products, then you are offering honesty to your customers. And that's what I'm looking for my own hi-fi equipment: honest products developed by people who are inspired by scientific evidence. We are lucky to be able to enjoy a place like this, and the work of people like @amirm .
I am here come to learn from you all. I hope I can contribute something in return.
Regards to all.
Carlos.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello fellow ASR members, Marcus here from the states.
Long time viewer of ASR but just recently joined. I was ( still am i guess ) a member of a very popular forum, but have taken a step back from there due to a combative nature it seems to have turned into. Constant fighting and arguing, treating some new members as idiots for being uninformed or just a difference of opinion just got really old. I have always noticed the vast majority of time, here on ASR, members seem to get along much better and i have always been impressed how they treat newcomers. These sites should be fun and informative, open to all aspects and points of views, science may be king, however science is still in it's infancy stage.
I'm all about the technical side and measurements, however i'm also open to the fact there may be some things we can not measure or just haven't found a way to measure it just yet. I want to see the measurements first, but i also like to hear someone's subjective impressions.

Look forward to having many pleasant debates and conversations.

j^j=e^-pi/2

Hi. Glad I found this place. Background is I love music. Did lots of playing in my youth (anything from punk rock bands for beer to playing in a symphony). Now it's my kids' turn.

Nice to see a forum that cuts through the snake oil.

Math (science) is the language of God, music is his (or her) voice...

--j^j

Last edited:

chekhonte

I'm a new member. I've been slowing going through the reviews of dac/amps after getting the itch to upgrade from my ancient lyr mk1 after it decided to get a problem in the right channel. I ended up with a topping dx7 pro. I live in the Seattle area, I'm an artist and I was bit by the audio bug after buying my first pair of Grado sr80's in 2001 and it's been money down the drain ever since.

StuartC

Forum Donor
Hello All,

another new starter from the UK. Although I've been actively using the website for a couple of months now I thought it was about time I joined properly and contributed to Amir's funds :) I was reintroduced to great quality home audio by an ex work colleague and (being an Engineer) have been bitten by the need to chase perfection and obtain the most satisfying home audio experience I can (funds and WAF allowing).

It's been good to finally find a site where the scientific method is applied to this field rigorously. I got tired of winnowing through hearsay and conjecture on why single grain copper wire sounds better than "only" 99.999% OFC etc etc. All the "best practice" based on "what everyone knows" just didn't stick with me. I refuse to buy components because they're an industry darling, or a friend of a friend of a friend swears they're the best thing since sliced bread. In fact I recently bought the Topping E30 DAC based on the review from ASR, and can happily report that I'm very pleased with it. It noticeably improves my 2 channel listening compared to my Denon AVR.

@amirm thank you for creating this site and all the hard work you put in. I wish I could assist with the measurements, but alas, I'm no Electrical Engineer.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Coach_Kaarlo

G'day from Sydney.

Top Bottom