• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

devinrsmith

Hey everybody, I'm Devin, a software developer; very knowledgeable around computer desktop and server hardware, but relatively green when it comes to AV software / hardware. I've been browsing and learning a bunch in the last few days. I wish this resource was available when I was building out my first system in 2010! I much prefer basing my purchasing decisions on quantitative benchmarks instead of purely qualitative recommendations.

I'm moving into my (new-to-me) home "soon". I'll be doing some more research before making my purchases, and I'm hoping to get some validation or further recommendations from ASR based on my situation.

Cheers!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey everybody, I'm Devin, a software developer;
Ahoi Devin :cool:

I'm moving into my (new-to-me) home "soon". I'll be doing some more research before making my purchases, and I'm hoping to get some validation or further recommendations from ASR based on my situation.
I saved a good bunch of money by soaking up other peoples wisdom, i'm sure it will benefit you as well.

Welcome!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

madmalkav

Hi everyone, greetings from Galicia (northwest Spain). I'm your average IT guy that loves music, have been reading the forum for some time and got some really great information from here, I must confess I registered to ask a question because I can use some help from you the smart audio guys :)

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, greetings from Galicia (northwest Spain). I'm your average IT guy that loves music, have been reading the forum for some time and got some really great information from here, I must confess I registered to ask a question because I can use some help from you the smart audio guys :)
Ahoi
What is your role in IT? I do Linux, Hosting and Database stuff. It's fun.

Welcome. :cool:

madmalkav

Ahoi
What is your role in IT? I do Linux, Hosting and Database stuff. It's fun.

Welcome. :cool:
I've done a bit of everthing except programming. Last years I've been working mainly with Message Oriented Middleware (IBM MQ mostly, also some RabbitMQ and XMPP stuff).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done a bit of everthing except programming. Last years I've been working mainly with Message Oriented Middleware (IBM MQ mostly, also some RabbitMQ and XMPP stuff).
Couldn't help but notice you didn't add "it's fun". ;)

madmalkav

It is fun, but when you work on this kind of stuff everyone blames you inmediately of every single problem they have and you put so many hours debugging stuff that is not really yours to prove them the problem is elsewhere :(

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is fun, but when you work on this kind of stuff everyone blames you inmediately of every single problem they have and you put so many hours debugging stuff that is not really yours to prove them the problem is elsewhere :(
Same here. Infrastructure team vs Application team.

We have a Morpheus meme for it:
4836782.jpg

Proving the problem isn't in the infrastructure is easy, but it has to be done every time and it's boring.
Such is the nature of the beast.

A good team lead will insist on having monitoring to make sure every time someone blames the Infrastructure, you have the measurement to prove that isn't the case. Not as easy in your case, with proprietary app stacks.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Hi, in the process of relocating back after a long stint overseas. I am mainly interested in classical music and have a large collection of records, and a lot of opera. I asked for advice on purchasing a Dac and so far have found most of the replies, (not all), to be rude and dismissive. It is almost as if one is not allowed to purchase equipment that sounds good to one. I doubt this is the site for me.

Hey, just saw this in the Call for Humor -thread:
I agree. Some are too serious. If you need a laugh read the comments made on this site by those who measure but do not listen.

I get it, believe me. We see newcomers present this "revelation" to us on a daily basis. But you can be 100% certain it will get you nothing but a :rolleyes:

The only thing different you'll find on this site, is that we don't go:

I heard something! -> it must come from my playback system!

We try to expand it to:

I heard something! -> the measurements tells us there shouldn't be anything audible, and we know how powerful the placebo effect is -> it could come from my playback system, but a far more likely explanation would be, that it's placebo.

If you can accept that default stand on cause and effect, you'll do just fine on ASR.

Trust me, nobody is calling you a liar, but if we see an extraordinary claim with no evidence attached, we dismiss it. It's nothing personal.

An important thing to remember is that we don't dictate personal taste on this forum. Subjectivity isn't just unavoidable. It's a large part of what makes this hobby enjoyable. Just don't confuse it with evidence.

There's a lot of love for classical music, records and opera in here (not from me personally), so if you can see past the "rudeness" of people not trusting anybody's ears, you'll find plenty of fun discussions.

BTW, all of that ruckus belongs in this thread:

Last edited:

Judda

Hi everyone,
Greetings from a cold and wet Manchester....(so what's new?)
I'm a 'senior' (old git!) Hi-Fi enthusiast, made the transition from vinyl to CD, to thousands of tracks now stored on my PC, still got the CD's as well.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Greetings from a cold and wet Manchester....(so what's new?)
I'm a 'senior' (old git!) Hi-Fi enthusiast, made the transition from vinyl to CD, to thousands of tracks now stored on my PC, still got the CD's as well.
Welcome old man. :cool:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,

Greetings from the Netherlands. My name is Alexander and I am beyond excited to join this amazing forum!

I've been interested in audio for more than 30 years. At the moment I'm exploring the benefits of room EQ. Today I did my first couple of moving mic measurements using REW and an UMIK-1, and applied a first EQ with Equaliser APO. An incredible experience. Really quite unbelievable what one is able to achieve with a <100 EUR microphone, a laptop, some free software, and such a helpful and generous community as ASR.

Thank you all so much, and looking forward to meeting you all here.

Alexander

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really quite unbelievable what one is able to achieve with a <100 EUR microphone, a laptop, some free software, and such a helpful and generous community as ASR.
You bet. I have a MiniDSP Flex and am a hair from buying the Dirac license, which is supposed to give you another level of fidelity after normal EQ.

Welcome, neighborino.:cool:

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Thank you @TheBatsEar!

These experiments were basically a POC for a possible future purchase of an RME ADI-2 DAC. To this end I limited the number of bands to 5 to understand what can be achieved given this constraint.

But I must say you got me thinking about the MiniDSP Flex as well, especially combined with point 1) in your sig. :)

Genelec's 83XX + GLM is also somewhere on the list but unfortunately I keep finding myself struggling to justify the price point of the more mid-field capable models.

Top Bottom