• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hello,

I'm from France, but I live in Taiwan. I don't think I will post a lot of messages here: I'm an ignorant amateur and my english is not good enough to have interesting dialogues.

I bought recently a basic setup, not too expensive for me :
- Focal Aria 906
- Topping PA5
- Topping E50

My sources are a TV and a Raspberry Pi 3+, and I love the perfect neutral consistent sound I obtained.

I registered just to report that these two Topping electronics are not listed in the page of reviews, here. It could be useful to add them.

And thank you to Amir, his forum and its members for permit me to find the best setup I could afford.
Madraf,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice setup. Glad you like your sound.
Just like you, I came here to learn and contribute where I can, so enjoy your time here at ASR.

AwesomeSauce2015

Oops, just now saw this thread.
Howdy, I'm AwesomeSauce2015.
But more importantly: I'm the LOUDEST AND PROUDEST member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2025. (Insert appropriate class Wildcat (CTRL-F for it) here).

:)
My setup: KEF Q100, Onkyo A-9050, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen, and an SVS SB-2000. This sounds relatively mundane until you realize it's in a sub-100 sqft room... And it has yet to break 10% volume for the past year, as I am worried my neighbors might do bad things to me if I turn it up...

Damned

Hi Guys,

Little presentation from a french guy, 30 years into hifi, long and painful journey if you ask me. I don't consider myself at all as an audiophile because audiophiles do take pleasure into that quest, all those changes, I don't, I just need to because I have ears and emotion. I mean, once I hear something I like, it never goes away so I want to have the same at home, that simple and of course there is live music, concert, real acoustic instruments (classical) so you know where to go... almost impossible quest. I know for sure after those 30 years of experience now that to have a system you like you must - know what you like/need - have luck and some friends with hifi stores. Not kidding, there is no way a very good system, with excellent synergy could come from reading reviews, analyzing data or even auditioning in stores or hifi show. It's all about experimenting, in your place, having time for placement first... pain in the ass process especially when you have a big room and need big tower speakers because you also want the bass !

Anyway, I decided a couple years ago to stop that hifi nonsense with so many possibilities and try to simplify the quest, at least speakers/amp part, and go for active speakers. Of course it is the studio way and it does make sens that speakers manufacturers add the amp they think will suit the best.

Less choices but not at all a simpler quest. I tried and bought quiet a few active studio speakers from focal, Neumann, Eve Audio (sc3070 are very good all around speakers if you ask me) and in the hifi world I bought several devialet phantom gold and silver, Cabasse akoya, Kef LS50W, B&0, several Nubert, I tried at home Kii tree and probably more.

I have 2 systems now, in the same big room, some Buchardt A700 and around the TV some Scansonic MB1 with Cambridge CXN v1 and 2 monos Flying Mole amp and a very satisfying SB3000. My problem, Buchardt are exceptional speakers, more even if you consider how deep and low they can go in such a small footprint, it is amazing and you never want to go back BUT I do prefer the ribbon tweeter of those small Scansonic, such a difference with classical music, so the quest continues...

LugsyTL47

I’ve registered at ASR today to say thank you to all the members for the great information on DAC’s and other general info. I only found out about ASR ~2 weeks ago. Just getting back into having a nice stereo system to relax to after 10-15yrs vs Spotify on my workout earbuds. Got a NAD C316BEE v2 yesterday (I’m in Ontario, so NAD is the local team), DX3 Pro+ arrived today….no way I would of known about this unit or any DAC without ASR site. My speakers should arrive this week, Dali Spektor 2’s. Once assembled, I’ll open a bottle of wine and enjoy.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I’ve registered at ASR today to say thank you to all the members for the great information on DAC’s and other general info. I only found out about ASR ~2 weeks ago. Just getting back into having a nice stereo system to relax to after 10-15yrs vs Spotify on my workout earbuds. Got a NAD C316BEE v2 yesterday (I’m in Ontario, so NAD is the local team), DX3 Pro+ arrived today….no way I would of known about this unit or any DAC without ASR site. My speakers should arrive this week, Dali Spektor 2’s. Once assembled, I’ll open a bottle of wine and enjoy.
Welcome Aboard @LugsyTL47 !

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I think you have to dig a lot deeper in terms of money if you want made in €urope. Don't think for a minute that for example Focal doesn't get their stuff from China as well, like everyone else in that price bracket. They buy our Peugeots and VWs, we buy their speakers. Fine with me :cool:

Sell it, make someone else happy. Bonus: you got more money for your next amp.

Welcome to ASR :cool:
Chances are Focal does something similar to Nike in Portugal: you get the sticker with Made in Portugal, but in truth, it should say "assembled in" or "finished in".

Damned

Chances are Focal does something similar to Nike in Portugal: you get the sticker with Made in Portugal, but in truth, it should say "assembled in" or "finished in".
They did for 15 years and since a few years, they re-invested in two factories in France one for drivers and one for cabinets + R&D and there is also obviously the Naim factory in England but for sure some parts are outsourced in China (for naim the Muso line)

braticus

Hello,

New guy here. Been lurking and reading as much as I can on this site for a few months...and realized I hadn't registered yet. I was honestly so buried in all the information here I completely forgot that was a thing, hahaha.
Been a music guy my whole life, with a dose of movies. My dad was a musician and hi-fi fan, and I pretty much lived off his hand-me-downs...at least the ones he was willing to part with. Well, he's gone now, and my equipment is a bit dated so been researching and planning my own starter system. Although, my uncle just gave my an older, unused, still in the box AVR, Yamaha RX-a2030. I guess the hand-me-downs are still kinda coming.
There's so much great information on this site. Every question I had was answered with a a bunch of searching and reading, and then going out to listen to whatever I could find. Where I think I ended up, which expectedly has changed several times, for mostly music (many genres) with some movies, 80/20:
-5 Revel M16s, with the back ones sealed, since they'll be close to a wall.
-2 SB1000 Pros
-Buckeye Hypex NC502MP, and keeping the Yamaha as a pre
-UMIK-1 with REW, and then learn how to use it...

Pretty basic, but I think it will be nice. The room is smallish, and oddly shaped, but it's what I have to work with. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.
So thanks for all the great info and I'll be lurking and reading trying to get my knowledge up from surface level to something a little more respectable, ;)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

New guy here. Been lurking and reading as much as I can on this site for a few months...and realized I hadn't registered yet. I was honestly so buried in all the information here I completely forgot that was a thing, hahaha.
Been a music guy my whole life, with a dose of movies. My dad was a musician and hi-fi fan, and I pretty much lived off his hand-me-downs...at least the ones he was willing to part with. Well, he's gone now, and my equipment is a bit dated so been researching and planning my own starter system. Although, my uncle just gave my an older, unused, still in the box AVR, Yamaha RX-a2030. I guess the hand-me-downs are still kinda coming.
There's so much great information on this site. Every question I had was answered with a a bunch of searching and reading, and then going out to listen to whatever I could find. Where I think I ended up, which expectedly has changed several times, for mostly music (many genres) with some movies, 80/20:
-5 Revel M16s, with the back ones sealed, since they'll be close to a wall.
-2 SB1000 Pros
-Buckeye Hypex NC502MP, and keeping the Yamaha as a pre
-UMIK-1 with REW, and then learn how to use it...

Pretty basic, but I think it will be nice. The room is smallish, and oddly shaped, but it's what I have to work with. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.
So thanks for all the great info and I'll be lurking and reading trying to get my knowledge up from surface level to something a little more respectable, ;)
Ahoi at ASR mate.

Two subwoofers and REW and a bit of DSP should fix the worst in your oddly shaped room.

Seems to me you are ahead of 90% of all the regular consumers with your gear. :cool:

Exurbia

Greetings from sunny Perth, WA Perth, happily not the rather damp Perths elsewhere. I've been building and listening since first year at boarding school.
I like big speakers, big amps and old motorcycles.
WAF doesn't apply, I've got a nice big workshop and the missus leaves me alone.
Currently looking at building a new set of boxes using some very tasty modded JBL units. That'll be a build thread.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Greetings from sunny Perth, WA
7df7334e153322bdf264acf6aae1315e.jpg

JSmith

Exurbia

Gordon Bennett, for a horrible moment I thought it was the missus. Then I found a pic of her and realised she doesn't wear glasses.

Hörzone

Dealer
Hi all
i´m Reinhard from the Hörzone
Hörzone is a dealer and distributor of active loudspeakers and room acoustics (mainly)
In Germany and Austria we do the distribution for
Adam Audio in the Hifi market
Grimm Audio (Professional and Hifi)
RME ADI products (Hifi market)
Artnovion room acoustics (only Germany)
Sonitus room acoustics

Hörzone started in 2003 with Geithain and K+H (O 500) and has always been committed to active loudspeakers and acoustics.

Our trademarks as a dealer:
Genelec, Neumann, GGNTK, Dutch&Dutch, Hedd, KSdigital

glad to be here..

Reinhard

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Googaliser

Greetings from sunny Perth, WA Perth, happily not the rather damp Perths elsewhere. I've been building and listening since first year at boarding school.
I like big speakers, big amps and old motorcycles.
WAF doesn't apply, I've got a nice big workshop and the missus leaves me alone.
Currently looking at building a new set of boxes using some very tasty modded JBL units. That'll be a build thread.
Small world - also from Perth (sunny but cold) - just joined !

Hifinewb

Hello, new member here from the state of Tennessee, in the USA.
Software developer.
Brand new interest in nice audio. Joined because of the amazing reviews. Bought 3 parts of my system because of those great reviews.

Hi! I'm a professional composer and bassoonist, with a keen interest in audio topics in general and recorded music playback in particular. No wonder I found my way here, right? I've lurked for a long time, and finally decided to register mostly so I can tell you all how much I appreciate this site. The reviews and thoughtful discussion have really helped me hone my own thinking about audio, which has been developing steadily over a few decades. Cutting through the woo and nonsense: that's never a waste of time, it seems to me...we all know how badly the audiophile consumer world is bespattered with excrement.

Stuff I'm thinking about right now:

* I own a Musical Concepts-modded Hafler DH-500 amplifier, which I do love despite its somewhat noisy fan, but I've been contemplating a DIY stereo amplifier kit, some class-D one with that crazy great SINAD I've read about. You know, for fun. I've built my own personal computers for a couple decades, and have some nominal skill at soldering and basic electronics, so I think I could make it happen. And, after all, my beloved Hafler was originally a kit, right?

* An external DAC to pull together/unify/EQ the various signal sources I use, including a SACD player. For the latter, yeah, I guess I'm looking for one with DSD capability and HDMI input. The choices are so limited! Limited to literally one, it seems, the Bryston DMA-3 which to me seems overpriced. Some doodads extract audio from HDMI, so maybe that's the direction?

Anyway, thanks again for the great forums. I've learned a lot here!

Top Bottom