• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

masterd89

Hi everyone, Davide here!
I am an analog integrated circuit designer at Analog Devices ( not in audio business though :D), writing from Milan, Italy.

I wasn't really into high quality audio until about 1/1.5 year ago, when my girlfriend ( who had the standard average audiphile's mindset at the time ) was pushing me to buy a 2000€ DAC for her B&W bookshelfs + cambridge audio amp. Working in the field, i was sure that each € exceeding 200 was unjustified ( at least for our system), and to prove my point i started researching about unexpensive dac options. We ended up buying an Apple USBC to headphone jack converter, which was reviewed by amir. She had mixed feeling about that, since she recognized it sounded good but she was not believing it was possible for a 10€ adapter to be on par with """hifi""" gear she heard from her relatives. Long story short, i was able to convince her with endless hours of electronic "lessons", and since she was also not completely satisfied with the speakers and amp, we decided to go all in and build our speakers too. Now the situation is reversed, and it is my gf who has to stop me buying each new device i see reviewed here. In the end i think it would have been less expensive to buy her that DAC in the beginning XD

This journey gave us the opportunity to learn about music, science, woodworking and much more, and for me to improve my knowledge in the audio related electronics. We are very proud owners of a Khadas Board Tone 1( connected to a RPi which streams from logitech media server ), a AIYIMA AO07 ( which we modded into a very nice looking enclosure), and a couple of 3way speakers which we designed and build. Unfortunately we are kind of constrained in a small house atm ( cutting MDF on the kitchen table, god i still have dusty nightmares about that): we are moving to a bigger one soon, which i hope will give us the opportunity to improve the quality of our builds, i'm not short of ideas for sure!
You all taught us a lot, i will continue learning from your posts and i hope i will be able to maybe pay back something contributing to the forum :)

See you around,
Davide

pootler

Hi,

New to the site.
Based in UK.
Started with sound engineering at the BBC ( golden days of the 80's) then on to the 'other side' for a few years.
Did a small spell of music producing, and wrote a very small amount of tv music.
Always been interested in sound, especially loudspeakers.
I have little or no knowledge of technical aspects ( especially electronics) , except for the broad physics of sound.
Mind you - if you want someone to politely talk to a director so we can get a boom mic where we want it to be without compromising a shot, I used to be ok at that!
Nowadays I am an old git, with a faulty eustachian tube, which requires popping my left ear at regular intervals.
Actually, not as bad as it sounds.
Can't hear anything above 10khz on a good day, but pleasantly surprised how little effect it has on my appreciation and discernment of audio.
Have a very deadpan humour - you have been warned:)

look forward to frustrating some purists! ( only joking )

poolter

napfkuchen

Hi, Daniel here. My "audio journey" started traditional (passive speakers, amp, cd/sacd). Improved - or at least tried to! - the setup over the years, but what was promised to me in magazine reviews and forum recommendations did almost never pay off in reality. Although some of the stuff was really beautiful besides sounding decent (red Kef XQ1, still regret selling them :facepalm:)...
Somehow there was always the feeling my room was the detrimental factor and it didn't matter how much money/equipment I threw at the problem.

Finally got my first pair of active speakers (Adam ARTist 5) and was shocked how boomy they sounded:
1.jpg

But I got rid of the table/wall reflections with manual adjustments in Equalizer APO, new stands, some absorbers and later added Dirac Live Stereo software for PC:
2.jpg

My current setup consists of Genelec 8331 + 7350 and a Yamaha WXC-50. Before adding the preamp my PC was directly connected to the speakers, so I could not use them when working from home. So I looked for recommendations here and found squ1gs posting where he introduced his quite similar setup. He kindly told what was need for a digital connection, and as the WXA-50 got Amir's recommendation this was a no-brainer. Unfortunately the "listening-room" (also kitchen/living room/home office) is acoustically untreated and everything is kind of cramped. But nontheless stereo imaging, details and controlled bass are very enjoyable:

3.jpg

Next year I will move again and the stereo setup will be placed in a dedicated room for music/home office with at least some acoustic treatment.
Looking back the wording in audiophile forums feels quite disgusting to me now as it mostly isn't backed by any evidence. It stuns me how basically one person (ok there are others too, Erin's audio corner e.g.) can put a whole industry segment to shame and render audio magazines irrelevant. Clearly a reader and viewer of the youtube-reviews here as my knowledge in audio tech and physics is very limited, also writing in English is a lot of effort for me.

In the living room of my apartment an 9.1 Auro 3D setup is planned, for which I have already purchased the speakers. The priority is living-room-compatibilty so I went with onwall speakers (Jamo D500, Dali Alteco) and a sub (SVS SB 1000). Still looking for an AVR with Auro3D and a pair of midfield active speakers with room correction for this place though.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My current setup consists of Genelec 8331 + 7350 and a Yamaha WXC-50.
It will be hard to upgrade that.:)

I would add something like this to your setup:

It has freed up some desk space here.

Welcome.

napfkuchen

It will be hard to upgrade that.:)

I would add something like this to your setup:

It has freed up some desk space here.

Welcome.
Thanks! Actually wanted to wait with the purchase of a monitor arm and place the speakers on floor stands (which I already bought some months ago) until moving again next year. But for 34 Euro that seems to be a very good offer, thanks for recommending it! :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But for 34 Euro that seems to be a very good offer, thanks for recommending it! :)
Worth it in gold if you prefer to have lots of space for all sorts of junk on your desk. ;)

Aneal

Good morning ASR, my name Aneal. Always loved music which I get from my parents. I listen to everything from rap/hip-hop to classical and everything in between. Found this forum while researching what makes a good 2.1 sound system as I'm a complete noob. At first I was going to buy the Yamaha s-801 and pair up with the Polk Reserve R200 and a SVS sub BUT after reading I don't know what I want anymore I took in too much info and got confuse. like integrated vs separated, hi impedance vs low, Yamaha vs Parasound and so on. For the time being i put together a cheap 2.1CH system (total was $589 CAN not bad) that I'm surprise me with the sound. I know its not the best but it works well, for reference my room size is 110x121. Small but cozy and easy to clean. I look forwarded for the reviews and advice from you guys/gals thanks.

My temp 2.1 system:
Aiyima T9 (looks cool sorry)
Fosi Audio M0-2 (for sub)
Schitt Audio modi (a DAC I already have)
Yamaha EQ500-U (carry over from my dads old system bought in 1987-88)
Sony sscs5 (really like these bookshelf speakers especially with the EQ)
Sony SS-WS82 ( passive sub from surround system saved from the garbage)
Irish Spring bar soap height adjustable speaker stands (keep rooms smelling good and works)

20220410_203414.jpg

20220410_203435.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At first I was going to buy the Yamaha s-801 and pair up with the Polk Reserve R200 and a SVS sub
That would have served you well and could very well be called killer-value system. What do you think is the problem with it?

BUT after reading I don't know what I want anymore
:cool:

Yamaha EQ500-U (carry over from my dads old system bought in 1987-88)
Sony sscs5 (really like these bookshelf speakers especially with the EQ)
I wonder how far one could optimize the speakers with the EQ500 using a measurement microphone (maybe a used UMIK1?), a laptop and REW. It's a very nice EQ and i'm looking for one in silver for years for my collection.

If you still want the A-S801, you should know that there is no pre-out/main-in loop, nor can you use a tape loop for the EQ. The last Yamaha amp that had it, was the R-S700. Good news is, it has both, the pre-out/main-in loop and rec select for the tape loop. You could run two EQs ;)

Another good news, they are easy and cheap to buy used. The A-S801, A-S701, A-S700 and R-S700 share the same power amplification stages.

The A-S701/801 would add a DAC, which you don't need, since you have one.

Irish Spring bar soap height adjustable speaker stands (keep rooms smelling good and works)
1393509969202_.gif

Welcome :cool:

F

freemansteve

I've been writing my musings on here for many weeks, and already nearly got banned for British black humour (no racial slurs intended in that statement :) ), but didn't realize there was an "Intro Thread".

So "Hi" everyone....

I'm now too old to hear the finer points of HiFi, and just want to play some sounds on kit that my wife will tolerate being in our little house among her furniture.

After travelling in a caravan for 5.5 years, with no fixed abode, it was nice to have a little place again, and a £3K budget for some sound. So I tried to balance all the forces on that one! Apart from a guitar amp and a guitar, this was our music system on the 'van, now on a shelf, fed from a PC connected to a RAID box.:

IMG_20220411_164919070.jpg

And we danced to music (with the slideout out, on the caravan) twice a week under blue/UV lights!

I was Senior VP for Engineering for an international hi-tech company (not audio related!) so my focus is on justifiable claims, value for money and no religious dogma about "uber-kit". Or, the "I heard it from some guy on the internet/ some guy down the pub/ some guy who knows all about the item but has never seen/heard it".... Etc., gossip mill.... Just sayin'

I only listen to say, 5 hours of music a week to my shame, but in my defence I practice guitar for a further 4 hours. I have been to hundreds of live gigs, so really, I listen to music more than I listen to my recently-bought Mid-Fi gear (err, not the Logitech 715i in the pic!!!). It's good enough, but it's only a means to an end.

I am a bit OCD, and brutal in writing, so expect to be offended. Nothing meant by it....

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So "Hi" everyone....
Ahoi Brexiteer, miss us yet? :cool:

And we danced to music (with the slideout out, on the caravan) twice a week under blue/UV lights!
Awwww

I was Senior VP for Engineering for an international hi-tech company (not audio related!) so my focus is on justifiable claims, value for money and no religious dogma about "uber-kit". Or, the "I heard it from some guy on the internet/ some guy down the pub/ some guy who knows all about the item but has never seen/heard it".... Etc., gossip mill.... Just sayin'
Ahh yes, the old "... just trust me, bro". It's a real pain in the neck.

I only listen to say, 5 hours of music a week to my shame, but in my defence I practice guitar for a further 4 hours. I have been to hundreds of live gigs, so really, I listen to music more than I listen to my recently-bought Mid-Fi gear (err, not the Logitech 715i in the pic!!!). It's good enough, but it's only a means to an end.
What did the £3k get you then? I sure hope there is some DSP in the mix, to fix the old ear sensitivity loss.

I am a bit OCD, and brutal in writing, so expect to be offended. Nothing meant by it....
The younger the audience, the less banter they can stomach, it seems. Also, it's not always clear what is meant as a joke and what isn't, in a forum.

You have added the disclaimer to your signature, whoever gets offended now, clearly chose to be offended. Problem solved forever :cool:

Aneal

If you still want the A-S801, you should know that there is no pre-out/main-in loop, nor can you use a tape loop for the EQ. The last Yamaha amp that had it, was the R-S700. Good news is, it has both, the pre-out/main-in loop and rec select for the tape loop. You could run two EQs ;)

Another good news, they are easy and cheap to buy used. The A-S801, A-S701, A-S700 and R-S700 share the same power amplification stages.

The A-S701/801 would add a DAC, which you don't need, since you have one.

View attachment 199189

Welcome :cool:
the bold part is what holding me back on the Yamaha but i do like how the s1200 with those gauges looks...yum. iv been looking at the Emotva BasX A-300/ aiyima t9 combo, schiit audio vidar/ t9 combo or iotavx combo. but i do like the Rotel RA1572 MKII Integrated Amplifier and parasound a23+ amp. got a lot research to do.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the bold part is what holding me back on the Yamaha but i do like how the s1200 with those gauges looks...yum.
It's a nice one, no doubt. I have the collection complete now:
  1. A-S1200
  2. CD-S1000
  3. NP-S2000
  4. T-S1000
I even got two very rare Yamaha Ambiente racks. All i need now is a higher end Yamaha record player. I have a Denon DP-47F, which is nice, but Yamaha had some epic record players too. But those prices:facepalm:

If you don't mind looks, but only sound quality and value, this is the hot stuff right there:
  1. Old tablet or notebook as a streamer
  2. MiniDSP Flex as DAC/DSP/Preamp (600€)
  3. NC252MP based power amp (500€)
Next best poweramp is 1500€, next best DAC/DSP/Preamp i don't even know.

Options, options ;-)

Brown Sound

My name is Lee and I’m from the United States (Terre Haute, Indiana to be specific.) I’m from and currently live in Terre Haute, but I did live in Colorado for over twenty years. I’m also an U.S. Air Force veteran with almost ten years in and was stationed in Colorado and the former West Germany. I used to play the trumpet in my earlier life (actually I still have it and would love to start again.) I have spent most of my career as a field engineer or service technician (electronic/calibration/computer) with a couple assorted degrees, such as an BSEET and BSTC.
I have been collecting music since the early 1970’s, mostly rock, with some blues and jazz. The first 45rpm singles that I purchased, with my own money, were “The Cover of Rolling Stone” and “Dueling Banjos”. But most of my music was in album form, since both of my parents worked on the LP pressing lines at the Columbia Records plants (Terre Haute, IN & Carrollton, GA). Every Christmas and birthday, I would get a nice, fat stack of LPs. So that set in motion the music collecting. I actually worked in the same buildings in Terre Haute, that my parents did, but it was called Sony DADC, by that time and not CBS Records. I maintained and calibrated measurement equipment for the manufacture of CDs, DVDs and BDs. Unfortunately, I was laid off from DADC in the Spring of 2018. Physical media is a dying format, after all. I have been a Tidal subscriber for about six years, Roon for almost two years and recently also subscribed to Qobuz. Even though they are part of the reason I was laid off from Sony DADC, I just love the idea having so much content at my fingertips.
I have been using and maintaining computers since the early 80’s. I am also well versed in creating and maintaining databases, especially personnel and media databases. I became involved with computer audio in the mid 90's. I remember recording LPs or cassettes as wave files and then worrying about hard drive space, until I burned the files to a CD-R. I am so glad the days of small HDDs are history. I am currently at the over 36k mark for music files on my NAS. Wow, what a long way we have come from 40MB HDDs, eh? I have been using EAC and foobar2000 on my systems (Linux and Windows) for years and started using Roon in 2020.
As far as the Hi-Fi stuff, well I remember drooling over the very large Pioneer receivers and open-reel machines in the late 70’s and I was hooked. I’ve been collecting and upgrading gear on a budget scale, ever since. The gear, I have collected over the years is fairly modest, but it sounds great to me. My current gear includes a nice mixture of vintage and modern stuff. Adcom GTP-500 preamp/tuner, Adcom GFA-535 power amp, a Pioneer VSX-932 AVR, Denon DP-62L turntable with an Ortofon MC10 plus a spare, an Ortofon MCA-10 stepup amp, a Shure M97xE on seperate tonearm, an Oppo DV-980H for everything non-BD, a Sony BDP-S390 for BD, a Yamaha KX-393 cassette deck, I have mainly Polk for speakers and subs, and lastly an assortment of USB DACs, an AQ DragonFly v1, an iFi iDSD Nano and Zen DAC v1 for digital stuff. I have bunch other equipment in storage, that is in varying states of repair and more resembles an electronics museum. I have recently built a RPi Roon endpoint running RoPieeeXL with a 7" touch screen and a HiFi Berry DAC2 Pro hat. Fun project BTW. A possible DAC upgrade is why I popped back in here and Amir's very favorable review of the Gustard X-16 is the reason, lol. Hell, I just love tinkering, tweaking and building.

Cheers, all!

Brown Sound

Ah the original Oppo DVD player, excellent to see it's still going strong. Oh and welcome. :)

JSmith
Well, I hope it's doing okay, it has been in storage for a few years now. Unfortunately, I only have the turntable, AVR, BD player, a few satellites and a sub in a small corner, right now. I do have the newly built RoPieeeXL endpoint for that system, which I love. Then there is my desktop rig, which currently has an iFi Zen DAC and a few IEMs and a set of Sennheiser HD-6XXs, running as balanced. Keeps my toes tappin', eh? My elderly parents (80 & 85) needed my help and constructing my wall of sound plus all of the media will have to wait a bit. The BD play will do SACDs too, just not DVD-A, but my PC will break those down for foobar2000 to play and rip. I do miss the Oppo, though. :cool:

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Hi everyone. I’ve been an occasional lurker here for a few years and hesitantly joined the conversation about 7 weeks ago. My story is similar to many who’ve been in the game for decades so I won’t bore you with mine. Suffice it to say I’ve had many a turn on the proverbial merry-go-round, mostly out of basic curiosity. Learned a lot over the years and continue to do so. While skeptical of the approach here I’ve recently come to understand it better through a recent DAC experience. While I’m not sure of my audio future I can honestly say I will proceed with more insight and an open mind. I’m grateful. Thank you.

aravena562

Hello, My name is Juan Carlos and I live in Chile. I have been an audiophile for about 20 years and have been reading the forum for about 3 years. The tests they carry out have made me see the audio in a more objective way and have a much better equipment at a better price. I think the work they do on the forum is fantastic, giving us information to make better purchases and putting pressure on manufacturers to make better products.

My main rig consists of a Marten Django XL speaker, a topping pre90 preamp, a topping d90se dac, a Sugden PA4 phono pre, and a Technics SL1500c turntable with a Hana Sl cartridge.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

aravena562

Ahoi Juan Carlos :cool:

This is a serious speaker, quite a conversation piece. What did you have to pay for it?
I bought them used, in immaculate condition, I paid approximately 8 thousand dollars. In Chile, the audiophile market is small, and things like speakers that are very heavy are not convenient to import.

D

Deleted member 47224

Hello there !

I've been reading ASR reviews and threads for almost a year now. I don't even remember how I stumbled upon this site, only that I was searching for reviews on speakers. I instantly agreed with the scientific approach, as I like properly engineered stuff. Since then, I bought my first proper speakers, the Elac DBR62, as a lot of people did it seems. With a step back, I would probably have buy something else, made in France or in Europe at least, but whatever. I am enjoying them a lot, despite having them hooked to an old Onky TX-SR309. My previous speakers were an 20 years old 5.1 Creative Sound Blaster kit for computer, not used for a computer and tweaked so I could connect it to the amp, so I guess there's that. I have now idea how my amp measures, but it doesn't matter as of now. I'm on the lookout for a better amp and I will take the time to find what suits me, as I don't like to buy new stuff if what I have is working.

As for music, because that's what we're here for, I am a CD person, and local stream for music bought on Bandcamp. I rarely stream anything except from Youtube when discovering new music. I have an old Technics SL-220 turntable in box somewhere, not my cup of tea. I listen to and enjoy a wide variety of music, even strange one sometimes, which make my other half sighs in despair. But so does she, so it's all fair and square ;)

Anyway, my hobby has taken a new step thanks to ASR so I'd like to thank everyone involved here. I learned so much reading you. Keep up ! I'm hoping to do my own DIY, repairs and/or measurements sometimes in the future.

seka

Top Bottom