• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welborne Labs phono preamp LPS weirdness

swampfire

I bought this 24V-1A linear power supply 8 years ago, for my Gram Slee Gram Amp 2 SE. I had not discovered ASR yet, I was in audiophile caveman mode: “Internet say analog source need linear power supply”. It may sound better, and it may not. I haven’t done another critical listening comparison since I bought it- that’s on my list for this week.

Anyway, what bugs me is that the chassis isn’t grounded, and somehow there’s 3-7V AC on the chassis, relative to the A/C plug ground. It’s very noticeable when that chassis touches another chassis: it sparks. I don’t know if this is was an esoteric design, or a major flaw. You can see from the pic that the ground plug goes into the board, then goes nowhere. I’m trying to decide whether to “fix” it by connecting the ground to the chassis, which seems like common sense to me. Thoughts?

Question 2… we know from science that linear vs. SMPS makes no difference for DACs, thanks to Amir’s testing. What about phono preamps?

5EFE435A-29B2-4543-89BE-E929FC440BB0.jpeg

Top Bottom