• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The one pictured came with a 450 hp 454 in it.
The guy I am mentioning is a car-body repairman that builds engines at night for his cars. Always finds cool vintage cars and makes them radical tire eaters. I remember something like a 650+ horsepower number when he twisted the frame. We went over for brewskies and he showed us by looking at the corners of the back bed that they are not symmetrical after twisting it. He took me for a ride and it was a savage aggressive car that left many feet of feet of rubber on the road. He was a pretty cool dood.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Driver-Side-1-1-e1642786008842-630x390.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy I am mentioning is a car-body repairman that builds engines at night for his cars. Always finds cool vintage cars and makes them radical tire eaters. I remember something like a 650+ horsepower number when he twisted the frame. We went over for brewskies and he showed us by looking at the corners of the back bed that they are not symmetrical after twisting it. He took me for a ride and it was a savage aggressive car that left many feet of feet of rubber on the road. He was a pretty cool dood.
When I was just a kid my dad built engines for people. He purchased a 1967 El Camino SS396 with a blown engine. Block was okay, so he rebuilt it as radically as he knew how with solid lifters, roller cam you name it. Guy he got it from bought it back. It was far more powerful than originally. A few weeks later, guy blows the engine. My father gets it back. This time rods had gone thru the block. He gets another block and builds the same engine. Same guy buys it back, and again a few weeks later blows the engine. My father gets it back a third time. This time he gets a 427 block to build another radical engine. The same guy looks at it, and wants to get it, but his fiance tells him he is crazy with an even bigger engine you'll blow it up twice as fast. So he finally declines. My father sold it to someone else, and never heard back from it again.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was just a kid my dad built engines for people. He purchased a 1967 El Camino SS396 with a blown engine. Block was okay, so he rebuilt it as radically as he knew how with solid lifters, roller cam you name it. Guy he got it from bought it back. It was far more powerful than originally. A few weeks later, guy blows the engine. My father gets it back. This time rods had gone thru the block. He gets another block and builds the same engine. Same guy buys it back, and again a few weeks later blows the engine. My father gets it back a third time. This time he gets a 427 block to build another radical engine. The same guy looks at it, and wants to get it, but his fiance tells him he is crazy with an even bigger engine you'll blow it up twice as fast. So he finally declines. My father sold it to someone else, and never heard back from it again.
Some people... lol :D

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Wait a minuet, there is nothing weird about the early Morgans. They are a hoot to drive and provided far better transportation for the money than about anything else at the time. They were not unstable. They only split the tail for regulations as Morgan never made a change they did not have to. ( I had a 64 +4)

There is an effort in some states that an enclosed three wheeler with conventional car controls be classified as a car. The new Morgan 3 wheeler being an example. I think some of the new techno-tirkes have car controls, some handle bars. Old 3 wheel Izetta's, Reliants, and who can forger the Peal, are usually registered as historic cars. Not bikes.

Now, I like weird cars. I am restoring a Stag now, and have owned TVRs. ( surprise) I love Avanti's. Almost bought a Marcos and regret not buying an Intermechanica ( Griffith 600). Dreamed of an ISO, but I know better. Another mistake was passing on a Accea.

No picture, but I once saw a Saab 99 with a blown V8 in the front at Carlisle.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
21369021_1794004837296087_4827668113993938168_o.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mhardy6647 in the US three wheel "cars" are classified as motorcycles. The result is minimalist vehicles such as the popular Polaris Slingshot.
A vehicle that is "FUN" to drive. Which is one of the reasons I drive. Ferrari handling on a budget (& it also gets looks, another +)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Wayne's world "Mirthmobile" recently got sold again.

A weird but gold car. What bugs is they claim its "restored" but the radio is different. In the movies they used 2 tape stereo's and a dash mounted CD player. For a 60k "restored vehicle", I expect the same radio. Imagine if you bought one of the original restored DeLorean's from BTTF and you got a 2000's CD stereo and speakers that came from your local Best Buy :facepalm: . Surprisingly, some guy a year ago wrote a article about this

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Audi S1, video dedicated to rally champion Mikkola. Rally Finland/Thousand Lakes in my hometown.
Group B cars were crazy and too dangerous, later on they were used in special events like Pike's Peak in USA.

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
If there's a 'right' way to do three wheels, the Morgan does it right with two wheels in front and one behind. View attachment 44731Reliant's way is just the best way to kill off your customers!
When I was at school., my best friend had a Bond Minicar with one wheel in front. Fortunately, that never went fast enough to tip over, but nevertheless, a hairy ride. (No reverse gear, the engine just went all the way round!)
SView attachment 44728
Used to get a lift to work in the Bond, the guy never used to charge me. Instead I had to kick start it, put your leg inside the hood and start it like a motorbike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom