• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Audyssey experience...

JBanville

So I had a weird experience with Audyssey and the MultiiEQ app.
I had previously set up audyssey through my x3600. I bought the app and set up audyssey again, but with the app. Some of the speaker distances (not the sub) and levels seemed "off" a bit compared to what I know the figures are, having ran audyssey many times over the years. Anyway, after finishing I kept getting an error that it couldn't send the file to the x3600 (I think its an IOS issue), but it finally went through.
I wanted to investigate those "off" levels and distances, so I did a little experiment. I ran audyssey using the AVR (let's call this the "A run") and did just three out of eight measurements (to make it go faster) from a single mic location in my main seat to get a baseline. I took note of all the distances, xovers, and even the graphical EQ results of what audyssey did when you pull those up using the AVR's on TV screen menu (not that "after" graph on the app), by taking pics with my phone. I carefully slipped the audyssey mic out of my boom mic stand and carefully inserted my umik1 and used REW to get a measurement of what that audyssey run actually did to the signal. After that, I carefully reinserted the audyssey mic into the mic stand and ran audyssey again, but using the app (let's call this the "B run"). I didn't make any changes to the final results and I sent this to my AVR with no errors. Using the app this time the distances and levels were either identical or very, very close to the Audyssey "A run" done just using the AVR, BUT looking at the on screen (TV) graphical audyssey EQ results, they looked quite a bit different from the "A run". I carefully swapped mics and ran REW. The "B run" results showed a VERY jagged measurement compared to the "A run", especially in the deep bass. So, I carefully swapped mics again and did another "in AVR" audyssey run ("C run"). Once complete, the on screen graphical EQ results from the "C run" looked identical to the "A run". Hmm? I then carefully swapped mics and did another REW measurement. The result of the "C run" looked extremely close to the "A run". I'll post two screen shots of the REW measurements. One has two lines. Those are just the "A run" and "C run" (in-AVR runs). One has three lines. Those are all the runs (A, B & C). Can someone explain this? Thanks!

Edit/afterthoughts ...I seem to remember that although the trim levels from the all the runs with within a db or so, the "app" run was louder. I had to turn the AVR volume down like 5 db so the REW graphs would line up. Also, although some people say it doesn't make a difference, I set my AVR volume to 0 before I plug in the mic and do an audyssey run.

Attachments

• 5D42EA2D-ED9B-4723-8BE6-39897BCDF42C.jpeg
    5D42EA2D-ED9B-4723-8BE6-39897BCDF42C.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 126
  • ECDA82AB-9C89-4493-91D2-0B664FE349A1.jpeg
    ECDA82AB-9C89-4493-91D2-0B664FE349A1.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
OP
J

JBanville

FYI...someone over at avs forum has found this same "glitch" in his x3600! Apparently using the "reference" curve is basically turning Audyssey off! You have to use the flat curve. I wonder how many people are setup Audyssey with the app and aren't even experiencing Audyssey??!!

ABall

Forum Donor
FYI...someone over at avs forum has found this same "glitch" in his x3600! Apparently using the "reference" curve is basically turning Audyssey off! You have to use the flat curve. I wonder how many people are setup Audyssey with the app and aren't even experiencing Audyssey??!!
I've read here the polar opposite of this. I had to set my distances manually to get my stereo image back, others have mentioned theres a bug.

ABall

Forum Donor
I have a Denon 3700h so things shouldn't be much different, I have run measurements with REW and my UMIK, I have mine set to reference, my results show that everything is working as it should, I can see the signal with EQ applied and without when I measure between Pure Direct and Stereo.

Top Bottom