• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Website - JBL Studio2 Architectural Series

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can understand one typo, but at least three from a high end US based company on customer facing ad copy...

According to the site, these speakers:
Have "...a High-Deifnition Imaging waveguide..."
Are "...low-distrotion..."
And "Installtion is quick and easy..."

Let's hope the products are better than the description.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to single them out because it's ubiquitous, but since the topic is Harman, surf over to Samsung's Mark Levinson Website and check out the NPC clipart associated with the brand's high-priced gear. Trendy red wine drinking millennials (don't look like zoomers) sitting on the floor, high priced gear in the background, playing with cell phones. People who in real life could never afford this stuff, and if they could, probably wouldn't be interested in it.

Say what you will about the man, check out Mark's Daniel Hertz Website. Pure class compared to Harman's copy. Focused strictly on the gear and the music the gear is supposed to process. Heavy on the historical legacy of Mark Levinson (ML, Cello, Red Rose, and the new gear).

I'm always intrigued with ads--trying to figure out exactly for whom they are intended to influence? Ads used to be directed toward a product. Now, marketing decisions appear to be random, based on an imagined lifestyle, with casting demographics you'd expect to find in a random Netflix drama. The gear is often secondary, prominent in the background, simply playing a 'supporting role'. Featuring a record player, whether it is associated with the brand, or not. Where did that requirement come from? For loudspeaker companies, associated electronics are often historical products from the '70s. Those larger than life Pioneer receivers and such.

I suppose that Web sites are designed by ad agencies? Have ad agency designers forgotten how to spell? Has anyone trained employees to use spell checkers? Are responsible parties even interested in the hobby? Madman Adman Peter Aczel worked in Madison Ave long before he started his hi-fi publishing operation. Peter's ads (compare Rectilinear) always featured the gear and its special properties (real or imagined). If he 'featured' red wine drinking snobs, it was to lampoon the New England AR crowd, and their 'too polite' muffled sounding loudspeakers. Or loud agressive hippies blown away by JBLs. It was always gear oriented.

Interesting to compare the erstwhile Akai hi-fi brand. Always second tier (especially once open reel went south in consumer space), Akai went from highlighting music and artists, to Playboy sex, to Valley Girl. However, other than Qunicy, none of those demographics was really interested in Akai hi-fi, and the brand simply faded away to obscurity. But there were no misspelled words, so they had that going for them.

akai1.jpg
akai2.jpg

akai3.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Trendy red wine drinking millennials (don't look like zoomers) sitting on the floor,
[...]
I'm always intrigued with ads--trying to figure out exactly for whom they are intended to influence? Ads used to be directed toward a product. Now, marketing decisions appear to be random, based on an imagined lifestyle, with casting demographics you'd expect to find in a random Netflix drama. The gear is often secondary, prominent in the background, simply playing a 'supporting role'. Featuring a record player,
[...]
I suppose that Web sites are designed by ad agencies? Have ad agency designers forgotten how to spell? Has anyone trained employees to use spell checkers? Are responsible parties even interested in the hobby? Madman Adman Peter Aczel worked in Madison Ave long before he started his hi-fi publishing operation. Peter's ads (compare Rectilinear) always featured the gear and its special properties (real or imagined). If he 'featured' red wine drinking snobs, it was to lampoon the New England AR crowd, and their 'too polite' muffled sounding loudspeakers. Or loud agressive hippies blown away by JBLs. It was always gear oriented.

:) :) :) :) :) Good story. :)

I think the zoomers are better. No beard oil and less "vinyl." They seem to be more realistic, more sober.

TV ads are better. I often think that I quite like some of them. Some. Some of them even do the social responsibility thing without being cliched or pretentious.
And the spelling problem doesn't apply to the TV ads.

"...If he 'featured' red wine drinking snobs, it was to lampoon the New England AR crowd..."
"The lesser of two evils" was quite problematic in 2016.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's really no excuse for a company like JBL to have spelling errors. But, their Website is a convoluted mess. Difficult to navigate, and poorly laid out. For crying out loud, the generic Samsung site is much better. Easier to find a high-end refrigerator and spec that out, than try and figure out how many clicks it takes to get L100 Classic info.

Revel is completely underwhelming. Obviously didn't spend any money there.

AKG Web is no doubt designed by the Revel folks.

At least Lexicon adds a little blue, to soften the stark black and white contrast.

ML? The young woman donning her designer coat, leaving the house wearing her wireless Mark Levinsons is quite funny. I worry about her if she has to cross a busy street. Or is she wearing them when driving her Mini? Better not be in front of her when the traffic light turns red. Actually, the Levinson site is pretty good comedy. And makes an interesting discussion in the context of Culture is Our Business.

OP
R

rvsixer

There's really no excuse for a company like JBL to have spelling errors. But, their Website is a convoluted mess. Difficult to navigate, and poorly laid out.
Exactly and agreed.
I guess I might be a bit sensitive to it as well; having spent years in QA functions including the review of user/technical literature, seeing several of my jobs getting off-shored solely to reduce opex, and this being the generally consistent result thereof.

Katji

Major Contributor
+1
QA applies to outsourced functions too, and that includes the use of spellchecking tools/process.
Off-shore or not, although I can sometimes identify location of forum posts [etc.]

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly and agreed.
I guess I might be a bit sensitive to it as well; having spent years in QA functions including the review of user/technical literature, seeing several of my jobs getting off-shored solely to reduce opex, and this being the generally consistent result thereof.
That's why I don't mind misspellings in a comment section on a forum. Easy to make a casual mistake or mistype. People expect that. But I absolutely, always, and without question make it a point never to misspell Harmon, when I'm writing about JLB... :)

Katji

Major Contributor
I can't see how it could be absolutely/totally outsourced. ...(QA of QA.) :rolleyes:

Putter

Forum Donor
OK, here's my somewhat OT rant. Here in this era of spellcheck, word lookup and even grammatical suggestion does the English language get so little respect? It is also a lack of respect for the readers of these misspellings that have to stumble through and try to determine the actual spelling/meaning of their thoughts. In respect to obvious misspellings in Harman ad copy, it seems the height of idiocy to alienate the educated readers who typically have the greater disposable income, i.e., more likely customers.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^That's part of my theme with it. Respect (for language and readers), and the sort of implied demand that I use energy to interpret or transliterate.

Respect...
Names are capitalised. Person, place, brand.
It's Amir not amir, and it's China not china. I just refrained from telling someone who was doing an anti-China rant the other day, that household china is also made in China nowadays. Or otherwise I start referring to usa in the middle of sentences. Like go ahead and pronounce it [oosa] or something. Or the country called turkey.

OP
R

rvsixer

I can't see how it could be absolutely/totally outsourced. ...(QA of QA.) :rolleyes:
It appears you are fortunate to not have experienced it. Interim and final QA getting outsourced to the same place/firm (or worse, this being moved over to the OEM themselves, with only spot-checks before going direct to consumers). Nightmare.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, their Website is a convoluted mess. Difficult to navigate, and poorly laid out.

I can't even access the site directly in the UK, it's geo-fenced and redirects to the UK site which is full of soundbars, boomboxes and speakers you can take in the shower :(

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand one typo, but at least three from a high end US based company on customer facing ad copy...

According to the site, these speakers:
Have "...a High-Deifnition Imaging waveguide..."
Are "...low-distrotion..."
And "Installtion is quick and easy..."

Let's hope the products are better than the description.

It’s sad. I have found typos on the websites of Vacheron Constantin and Breguet, companies that make million dollar luxury watches and are part of major luxury conglomerates ($54 billion and $60 billion market cap).

I think the problem is that the websites are typically handled by subcontractors who don’t take the time to spell check or proofread.
This is why services like “grammerly” exist.

Katji

Major Contributor
I got eu.jbl - same - portables, soundbars, headphones, and "Jr". The [Country Selector] did a bit of processing, then nothing.
Not surprised - I know there's no distributor, but there is some importer, because the portables and headphones are widely available and pro audio dealers have JBL. Maybe they all import themselves, directly.

Top Bottom