• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Webcams

Willem

Major Contributor
I am ready for a new webcam. I use a good stereo system for audio playback so I don't need that. I also have a pro audio Sennheiser headset mic but may not always want to use that. What would be a good mid price webcam for serious usage? I don't need 4 K but zooming function is important and so is compatibility with a multitide of video conferencing software.
I know this question is marginal to this forum but at least people here know what they are talking about and also know when they don't know.

raindance

Major Contributor
I'm interested also. My current Logitech, which works amazingly well, is about 7 years old and only does 16 bit 16K audio (limiting it to 8KHz bandwidth). I'd like something that does 16 bit 44.1K or 24 bit 48K as I'm presenting lots of long training classes that are being recorded. I care mostly about the audio quality that the far side hears, but the camera needs backlight compensation to be useful. .

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
I agree that audio is very important. For far side audio there is probably little that can beat my Sennheiser me3ii microphone. I use it into an external adc for best results. Mind you the plug is not quite the normal 3.5 mm but has an additional collar that may be a problem in some cases.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
After spending a few hours looking at specifications and prices I have decided to go the cheap route: a Logitech C270 HD. Right now all this gear is in short supply in the Netherlands and prices are often 1.5-2 times more than list, or even more. I also concluded that much of the extra quality of more expensive units goes into better (stereo) microphones, but I already have a microphone that would be almost impossible to beat in this application (the Sennheiser ME3ii). So I will not use the C270's inbuilt microphone. On the video side the C270 does 720p/30fps which may not be perfect, but already takes up more bandwidth than many services will provide. It is also compatible with Google Hangouts and a few other services, although I don't quite understand what such compatibility implies.

Severian

Forum Donor
It has been virtually impossible to buy any webcams at any price points here in the US since COVID-19 began, unfortunately. I need one too.

Dreyfus

You can use your phone with the app "DroidCam" or iVCam" and transfer its live image to your PC via USB or WiFi. Works pretty good imo. The quality of my Xiaomi cam is much better than every affordable webcam I can get or could have gotten.

iVCam does offer a zoom function, also mirroring, exposure, white balance and a few other gimmicks.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
That is an interesting option, although I often use my phone for text messages etc while I am in a videoconference. Anyway, for those in the US who are still looking for an affordable good camera: the Logitech C270 is still available at list price from the Logitech webshop: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-webcam-c270?crid=34 This is more expensive than a few months ago, but nothing to be too concerned about. I just heard that mine will be delivered later today from the Logitech EU webshop. However, In my experience the audio part is the most important of the story anyway, and I am more than happy with my Sennheiser ME3 that produces far better audio than any webcam. It has a different connector, however, that will not work with some gear, and for best use needs an ADC with usb output. I have been helped very well by https://store.speechrecsolutions.com/sennheiser-me3-ii-microphone-with-plug-adapter-p355.aspx

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That is an interesting option, although I often use my phone for text messages etc while I am in a videoconference.

Maybe get a cheap used phone just for the camera.

Try your local cell phone repair places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom