• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wear and tear of headphones (photos)

Trell

Major Contributor
Run the old toothbrush through the dishwasher before repurposing it. All my old toothbrushes that are set for other duties go through this.

Toothbrushes are not designed to go into a dishwasher or the microwave oven as they can react badly to heat.

OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
You've clearly not owned enough headphones. :)

The soft touch skin-like coating on earcups and headbands disintegrates regardless of climate, hygiene whatever. It has done since the damn stuff was created 30+ years ago. Foam fails too. Nothing you can do to stop it.
My experience with faux leather is in accordance with what you write.

OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
How long something may last really depends on the material choice, but a big point for me is repairability and parts availability. If something is easy to repair and parts are readily available, bad material choices may not be so damning.
One of the best headphones in that regard is the Sennheiser HD 600 family. Can be taken apart almost completely without tools and all matter of original and third party replacement and modification parts are available. Plus the only thing really failing on them over time is the foam in the pads, but that goes for almost all headphones over time.
Here is my HD 600 with a new headband pad, it's about 20 years old:
View attachment 143248View attachment 143249
My impression is also that Sennheiser is great in that regard, and the company's site is also good regarding spare parts.
That was one of several reasons why I now just bought Sennheiser HD 820.
I have before owned HD 800 for many years, and they were amazing regarding wear and tear, and more.
Your headphones looks to be in great condition.

Trell

Major Contributor
@sprellemannen Beyerdynamic has an extensive list of freely available spare parts, and if your username is an indication of where you are from, even in Norway.

OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
@sprellemannen Beyerdynamic has an extensive list of freely available spare parts, and if your username is an indication of where you are from, even in Norway.
I guess Beyerdynamic are among the better brands regarding spare parts.
Before I had some Beyerdynamic headphones, and their quality regarding wear and tear was better then the Pioneer SE-Monitor5.
Now I have the Sennheiser HD 820.
Takk for svaret ditt uansett. Ellers: Korleis kan eg "henvisa" til namnet ditt på tilsvarande vis som du henviste til mitt ? dvs. @...

Trell

Major Contributor
I guess Beyerdynamic are among the better brands regarding spare parts.
Before I had some Beyerdynamic headphones, and their quality regarding wear and tear was better then the Pioneer SE-Monitor5.
Now I just have a single headphone (The Sennheiser HD 820).

Better? From your first post that is a very, very low bar to pass.

OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Better than the average brand (and far better than the Pioneer SE-Monitor5).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Toothbrushes are not designed to go into a dishwasher or the microwave oven as they can react badly to heat.

That's just silly. I've been runing "cleaning" toothbrushes through my dishwashers for decades. The temperatures they are subject to in a dishwasher are always under boiling point- consider how they are made in the first place- under heat and pressure.

Johannes AU

My impression is also that Sennheiser is great in that regard, and the company's site is also good regarding spare parts.
That was one of several reasons why I now just bought Sennheiser HD 820.
I have before owned HD 800 for many years, and they were amazing regarding wear and tear, and more.
Your headphones looks to be in great condition.

Yes, they also supply headphone case as parts.

Johannes AU

That's just silly. I've been runing "cleaning" toothbrushes through my dishwashers for decades. The temperatures they are subject to in a dishwasher are always under boiling point- consider how they are made in the first place- under heat and pressure.

Brilliant !

OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
The Oppo PM-3's pads and headband are poor regarding wear and tear according to users, confer reviews with images on Amazon.
pad1.JPG

Nango

Major Contributor
You've clearly not owned enough headphones. :)

The soft touch skin-like coating on earcups and headbands disintegrates regardless of climate, hygiene whatever. It has done since the damn stuff was created 30+ years ago. Foam fails too. Nothing you can do to stop it.
Not on Sennheiser's HD800 after 9 yrs of use.

Top Bottom