• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I am happy to test phono pre-amps. Do you guys have some suggestions on units to test?

I bought a UMC202HD to use with guitars (that was my excuse). You tested the UMC204HD.

Then, since it had instrument/mic amps, tried using it as a phono preamp with a borrowed yamaha P-300 TT with and old (top of the line at the time) Grado cartridge.

Screechy!

Located a biquad to create the RIAA playback filter at the miniDSP.

And it seems to work just fine. I'll use it for the one LP I have that I want to digitize.

The only problem, we listened to an album, and John, who harbored some mild desire to hear some of his old LPs, looked at me and questioned whether there was any point in it. "What's the hoopla?", I think he said.

The 202 and an Ibanez GSR 205 are my Christmas Presents for this year.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks, Amirm. Yes...

Art USB
U-Turn Pluto
Musical fidelity V90
Rega Fono MM MK2 or 3
Pro-Ject Phono Box S (Pro-Ject have a confusing number of preamps, though this seems to have decent price/ performance)
Schiit Mani
Graham Slee Communicator
Behringer PP400

Game for anything, really...
That's a great lust. Bought the Pluto to get started seeing how framer liked it better than schiit.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Thanks, Amirm. Yes...

Art USB
U-Turn Pluto
Musical fidelity V90
Rega Fono MM MK2 or 3
Pro-Ject Phono Box S (Pro-Ject have a confusing number of preamps, though this seems to have decent price/ performance)
Schiit Mani
Graham Slee Communicator
Behringer PP400

Game for anything, really...

I would like to add the NAD PP4E which adds a USB-out.:cool:

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's a great lust. Bought the Pluto to get started seeing how framer liked it better than schiit.

There's a word for this sort of typo, where the sentence still makes sense and is relevant in context. I can't recall what that word is, though...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like to add the NAD PP4E which adds a USB-out.:cool:
Typical of NAD, their Amazon reviews complain about the same hardware failure (volume fading). Is it still worth testing?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Typical of NAD, their Amazon reviews complain about the same hardware failure (volume fading). Is it still worth testing?

Typical of NAD? That is not my experience or generally reported on the internet that I recall. I looked at the Amazon comments and could not find similar reports elsewhere via Google - a small sample of Amazon sales upon which to base a conclusion?

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Typical of NAD? That is not my experience or generally reported on the internet that I recall. I looked at the Amazon comments and could not find similar reports elsewhere via Google - a small sample of Amazon sales upon which to base a conclusion?
It is an inside Industry thing. They have a poor reputation for reliability. I forget the derogatory term for them but something to the effect of "Not Always" working or so some such thing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It is an inside Industry thing. They have a poor reputation for reliability. I forget the derogatory term for them but something to the effect of "Not Always" working or so some such thing.

Behringer are still carrying baggage from long past resolved issues.

Wombat

Master Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about miniDSP? They make some very interesting products... Fairly priced too. Room Correction with Dirac or Open DRC (Acourate ??) for under $1000. Wonder how transparent miniDSP digital products are.
I am thinking of ways to have DRC under 100 Hz with multi-subsand the rest untouched to the mains. Need a digital crossover scheme for this. A new thread?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Recent posts here didn't appear in the New Posts summary on the Forums Page. Is the summary limited to 10 more-recent topics?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What about miniDSP? They make some very interesting products... Fairly priced too. Room Correction with Dirac or Open DRC (Acourate ??) for under $1000. Wonder how transparent miniDSP digital products are.
I have one to test. Pain in the neck so far for me to configure so I threw it to the side in disgust. :) Will get back to it one of these days.

No Ray, you can't have it! :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Recent posts here didn't appear in the New Posts summary on the Forums Page. Is the summary limited to 10 more-recent topics?
Yes, that is a limited summary. Click on New Posts on the Navigation bar up above and you see all of them.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes, that is a limited summary. Click on New Posts on the Navigation bar up above and you see all of them.

Thanks.

Top Bottom