• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are folks mostly using two-way speakers or more? If it is two-way then I can just test the low-pass and high-pass filter. Trying to get the matrix of testing down to manageable size.

I think keep it simple: one arbitrary band of PEQ, say a 6dB bump at 1kHz with Q=0.7.

My sense is that crossover filters are more consistently defined than parametric EQ band. I could, alas, be wrong.

As for removing your SDEC from the rack, I don't even think you'd need to do that for this kind of measurement. You should be able to get useful results from any USB audio interface. I just did a measurement of a subwoofer output on a compact integrated for a forthcoming review using an ART Dual Pre. You might need a 1/4" jack adapter for your existing SDEC-amp cable, but that's it. Unless you're running BLU to DCIn/Synthesis amps.

A.wayne

Amir,

You should test a TT too so you can show all the digitalites how much better than CD ..

:)

Regards

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

I like to test one at some point but there are billions of variations of tables, stylus, arm, amp, etc. as to have the results have any applicability to general users. But I am open to it.

For now, I plan to test my Reel to Reel deck in near future.

A.wayne

I like to test one at some point but there are billions of variations of tables, stylus, arm, amp, etc. as to have the results have any applicability to general users. But I am open to it.

For now, I plan to test my Reel to Reel deck in near future.

Wait , what no table in the stable, Savage has one ..... :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What make/model is the R2R?
It is an Otari MX-5050 BII. Like that it is modern and you could get parts for it. It also has both IEC and NAB equalization that makes it handy for different tapes.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is an Otari MX-5050 BII. Like that it is modern and you could get parts for it. It also has both IEC and NAB equalization that makes it handy for different tapes.

Awesome, built like a tank. I used an Otari deck as an underemployed youth digitizing a pile of 1950s performances recorded in mono on 1/4" tape.

While I love WBF, I do not understand the Tascam R2R fetish that has swept WBF. I suppose there's a lot about WBF that I don't understand . . .

MiamiBoy

I would like to propose/recommend that a separate category be created for the purpose reporting measurements and testing results of higher-end audio capacitors. Not listening tests, but purely bench tests using measuring equipment to determine if any meaningful differences can be found between mid-priced audio capacitors vs higher-end “boutique” audio capacitors. You could start with some of the higher-end capacitors that have received the highest ratings on this site: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html and then compare them with some of the mid-level audio capacitors.

I realize capacitors don't actually qualify as "equipment" but I think there would be a great deal of interest and benefit in doing these tests. Logistically, shipping capacitors back and forth would also be much easier.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I would like to propose/recommend that a separate category be created for the purpose reporting measurements and testing results of higher-end audio capacitors. Not listening tests, but purely bench tests using measuring equipment to determine if any meaningful differences can be found between mid-priced audio capacitors vs higher-end “boutique” audio capacitors. You could start with some of the higher-end capacitors that have received the highest ratings on this site: http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html and then compare them with some of the mid-level audio capacitors.

I realize capacitors don't actually qualify as "equipment" but I think there would be a great deal of interest and benefit in doing these tests. Logistically, shipping capacitors back and forth would also be much easier.

In what kind of circuit?

The premise above implies capacitors have a sound independent of the circuit they're used in.

MiamiBoy

In what kind of circuit?

The premise above implies capacitors have a sound independent of the circuit they're used in.

Well, I certainly wouldn't come on this forum and advocate that premise in my first post, but I am sure you realize that premise is widely held by buyers and always advocated by capacitor sellers, reviewers (see link above) and manufacturers. I am only suggesting that it would be of value if there were some measurements that could be made to help assess that premise.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Had an idea that we could walk before we run by simply characterizing capacitors by themselves. Did a search on Capacitor distortion and found this nice link of all their non-linearities: http://stephan.win31.de/capdist.htm

I like to start a background project on this. What would be a good selection of brands to get started that are popular? I am think Duelund, ClarityCap, Elna, Mundorf, and Nichicon.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Had an idea that we could walk before we run by simply characterizing capacitors by themselves. Did a search on Capacitor distortion and found this nice link of all their non-linearities: http://stephan.win31.de/capdist.htm

I like to start a background project on this. What would be a good selection of brands to get started that are popular? I am think Duelund, ClarityCap, Elna, Mundorf, and Nichicon.
Sounds like you better be ready to give up your day gig, this websites about to become a full time job. :eek:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Been there, done that... I'd suggest focusing on using them as series coupling capacitors and ideally doing impedance sweeps with a VNA or equivalent and distortion measurements over frequency and amplitude with several nominal source and load impedances.Electrolytics and ceramics have a pretty high voltage coefficient as well so you might add different bias voltage if you test them. Personally I'd skip them for this.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Plus Solen, Bennic...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well, I certainly wouldn't come on this forum and advocate that premise in my first post, but I am sure you realize that premise is widely held by buyers and always advocated by capacitor sellers, reviewers (see link above) and manufacturers. I am only suggesting that it would be of value if there were some measurements that could be made to help assess that premise.

As much as this might be a fun research project....

Isn't capacitor tweaking really last century's battle?

When it comes to capacitors, I usually think, "Why bother? Go active DSP and make your tweaks in software."

When it comes to electronics, I think, "Why bother? Do the voicing in the FPGA, DSP, or wherever it is you're doing signal processing.."

Delving into the voodoo nuances of capacitors seems like a retrograde research project akin to learning alchemy.*

*this being said by someone who owns a turntable, but uses a ADC-software-defined-DSP-based phono stage...FWIW :)

Top Bottom