• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

nrabbit

Me too. I'm also interested to see if the strange powerport thing makes any difference in measurements. Will be mailing tomorrow

imrul

I have an electrostatic headphone amplifier. Are you able to measure that? Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
I have an electrostatic headphone amplifier. Are you able to measure that? Thanks
I believe @amirm pondered doing this before but so far has not yet begun measuring electrostat amps. He owns electrostatics himself, too, btw. So hopefully one day :)

Veri

Master Contributor
That's correct. I have a number of Stax headphone amps and amplifiers. One of these days I will get to instrumenting them.
I can't wait for the drama to ensue, in the case that Stax' official amplifiers are not as good as currently assumed. Ha :)

imrul

I can't wait for the drama to ensue, in the case that Stax' official amplifiers are not as good as currently assumed. Ha :)

Don't people fawn over the 3rd party amps more? Like the Blue Hawaii, KGSSHV Carbon, or Megatron?

John_M

Forum Donor
Don't people fawn over the 3rd party amps more? Like the Blue Hawaii, KGSSHV Carbon, or Megatron?

Yes, there appears to be a view that Stax's own amps are not up to scratch.

I would like to add my name to the list of people who would like to see some electrostatic amps reviewed, including both Stax and third party amps. :)

bibio

Hello Amir,
I was wondering if you could possibly test the Lab Gruppen Lake LM44 / LM26 processors?
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...4-processor-as-dac-and-room-correction.12979/
I saw your recent review of the Lab Gruppen E 4.2 and it got me thinking again.....
Lab's PLM amps are a serious bit of kit, they have the same MESA eq capabilities as the LM44/LM26 so it could be a good all in one amp/room correction solution?
Unfortunately, I don't currently have anything to send you but maybe someone else might?

sekcheong

Hi I am working on a project to improve the Cambridge's DacMagic Plus. I just wonder if you will entertain the idea of before and after measure. Specifically, I want to know whether certain components (caps, opamps, voltage regulators) that really affect the sound.
Thanks,
Sek

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It probably won't show up as improvements/changes in measurements.
There will be very slight changes in harmonic distortions and noise perhaps, all will be below audible thresholds.
At best you may see a slightly different noise floor when swapping opamps.
Subjectively (when you know what parts were changed and what you are listening to) you may well perceive (not hear) differences that may be substantial. This, however, will not be due to the parts having changed though.

There are 2 threads on ASR that shows the effects of different opamps. As long as they are decent ones they will perform audibly the same.

As far as I know Amir is not that interested in measuring DIY mods. When he is you would need to send him a not modified and modified one at least.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

aolmsted

Forum Donor
Have you ever considered a review of the Sonos Port? I'd be greatly interested!

best

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you ever considered a review of the Sonos Port? I'd be greatly interested!

best
Yes, like to test more SONOS stuff. I need to clear the backlog through before I go and buy more stuff with my own money. :)

Top Bottom