• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

MTBDoc

Send a PM directly to @amirm and give him the details, and go from there.
I have been doing that myself to send the AP80 Pro-X and after initial dialogue, I haven’t been able to get a response regarding shipping address & current estimated turnaround/backlog.

MTBDoc

I have been doing that myself to send the AP80 Pro-X and after initial dialogue, I haven’t been able to get a response regarding shipping address & current estimated turnaround/backlog.
As I still haven’t had any further communication, I have come to the conclusion that there is no interest in testing this little DAP. It’s a shame as objective data would be helpful to correlate with my subjective experience: thus far it sounds quite good to me, I love the tiny size of it which was part of why I didn’t pick up an LG phone for this use (if they only made a really SMALL LG - perhaps the size of the IPhone 4, my all time favorite Apple product, considered at it’s point in time). I cannot begin to fathom >$1000 for a DAP, but under $200 (under $140 when I picked it up on sale) is a different story.

byjomat

Yes, you read the title right. If you have audio gear that you like to see objectively measured with professional equipment, we (I) may be interested in doing that for you and our readers.

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices.

At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

Also of interest is the proliferation of so many audio tweaks including many for digital and computer based audio. Previous assumption has been that what they do is not "measureable." Our record so far shows that we can easily measure their contributions if any exists. Indeed we have found a number of cases where these products actually injected noise and distortion into audio path where non existed before!

I set out originally to purchase and measure equipment myself. Alas, the budget required is massive. I will continue to contribute out of my own pocket to purchase gear but no sense in spending my limited dollars on what some of you may already own.

For convenience sake, the program likely works best for small and lighter gear where shipping and transport is easy. That rules out speakers, large amplifiers, etc, leaving devices that can be shipped reasonably for $20 to $30. In many cases I am willing to pay out of my own pocket to return the gear. So the only cost to you would be shipping to me.

This program has been informally working in the last few months and very well. I have measured and published a number of reviews and measurements with loaned equipment.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Please note that in most cases I need to make the time to measure things so you will be without the gear for a week or two. Possibly more. But we can coordinate that in the prior arrangement. If it is equipment of high interest, I can literally turn around the view in a day or two.

Also, there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The type of products we are talking about is quite robust in this regard, but it can still happen. I pay for some insurance when I ship things back to at least recover some of the cost should the post office screw it up. So far we have not had any issues.

So let's join hands and work together to create a large and useful library of objective, reliable and repeatable data for users to make good decisions in purchasing audio equipment, and to guide manufacturers to build better products.

Speaking of manufacturers, I am more than happy to see them participate too and indeed a number have. I make no assurance whatsoever of happy outcome should you loan me the equipment. What I can promise is supporting you in troubleshooting problems that are revealed in my testing and review.

Thanks in advance for those of you who participate.
Good afternoon. I'm located in District V. Looking for someone to advise me what I need for an existing "surround sound" system, etc.

Thank you.

Jerry

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good afternoon. I'm located in District V. Looking for someone to advise me what I need for an existing "surround sound" system, etc.

Thank you.

Jerry
Jerry,

Please post your question under the amplifiers and Av thread of the forum for better assistance. This specific thread is for discussion on items being measured or being sent to Amir for measurements.

soundtrane

Dealer
I'd love to see reviews of some professional recording gear:

Aaton Cantar X3, X2
Sound Devices Scorpio, 888, 333, 688, 664
Sonosax SX-R4

D

Deleted member 60987

Yes, you read the title right. If you have audio gear that you like to see objectively measured with professional equipment, we (I) may be interested in doing that for you and our readers.

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices. At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Typical lead time from when equipment arrives is 4 to 5 weeks. Exceptions can be made which we can address in the conversation.

Note that there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The rate of this thankfully has been as low as 0.1%. Still, if you are concerned, you can use insurance to cover shipping losses (and I can do the same in reverse).

Also note that accommodating shipments from outside the US can be very difficult. Small items can be managed. Larger items, especially if they are low cost, don't make sense to send back and forth.

So let's join hands and work together to create a large and useful library of objective, reliable and repeatable data for users to make good decisions in purchasing audio equipment, and to guide manufacturers to build better products.

Speaking of manufacturers, I am more than happy to see them participate too and indeed a number have. I make no assurance whatsoever of happy outcome should you loan me the equipment. What I can promise is supporting you in troubleshooting problems that are revealed in my testing and review.

You're in the Seattle area?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
You're in the Seattle area?
Yes. Start a PM conversation with him if you want to send something in for measurements and testing. He will give you all the details and approximate turnaround times.

Raymondkwok

There is so little objective data on equipment today. Even if you are not an "objectivists" it pays to contribute to gathering some data to weed out poorly engineering products of which, there are many. Electronic design and building of audio equipment has become much easier today, allowing so many unqualified people to get in the business and building potentially unsafe and non-performant equipment. It is important for data to show such poor practices. At the same time, there are also superbly designed equipment and they deserve standing out from the crowd and dust of all the other gear.

If you are interested in participating, all you have to do is "start a conversation with me" by clicking on my name/avatar and we can work out the logistics. Typical lead time from when equipment arrives is 4 to 5 weeks. Exceptions can be made which we can address in the conversation.

Note that there is some risk of gear getting lost, damaged, etc. The rate of this thankfully has been as low as 0.1%. Still, if you are concerned, you can use insurance to cover shipping losses (and I can do the same in reverse).

Also note that accommodating shipments from outside the US can be very difficult. Small items can be managed. Larger items, especially if they are low cost, don't make sense to send back and forth.

I bought Arylic A50+ one and half year ago and would like to share my experience today. I hock up my device such as digital media player, turntable, speakers and it is perfect to me and the sound quality is also very good. I am a music lover but can only afford in low budget. Arylic can make me dream come true and I can enjoy music everyday and will looking for new update product from Arylic in the future.

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I’m seeing a lot of chip-based amplifiers claiming that the sound can be modified by changing the op amps. Is it measurable? I would love to see this explored on one of your Fosi or Aiyima amplifiers.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd love to see reviews of some professional recording gear:

Aaton Cantar X3, X2
Sound Devices Scorpio, 888, 333, 688, 664
Sonosax SX-R4
To assist others in their understanding of how gear actually get into the hands of ASR for review, the recommended approach is either (1) sending @amirm a DM: "I have the Sound Devices 888, are you interested in reviewing it?" or (2) posting a public thread request: "who has Sound Devices 888 to send to ASR for review?". Both of these approaches are tangible first steps to getting the requested gear reviewed; however, an open ended request like "I'd love to see the Sound Devices 888 get reviewed" will yield no results. I've done the former, sending Amir my Genelec speakers and Trinnov Alt16 for review.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it'd be fun to test 2 desktop DACs that were highly regarded back around 10 years ago. If there's interest I can provide:

1. Arcam rPAC https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/rpac/review
2. Audioengine D1 https://www.whathifi.com/audioengine/d1/review (others have asked for that, too)

I have replaced them both with JDS Labs Element 3, but from a pure SQ point of view I am not sure it makes a huge difference (I assume headphone power need dependent). It'd be interesting to see how much difference there is.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harder to drive planar headphones like Dan Clark or Audeze definitely are power dependent - do you have any of those?
I don't. I have a Beyerdynamic DT1990pro, three Shure 1540 and Grado RS1 and 325. They are easy to drive.

ampguy

I'd love to see the SMSL A300 amp reviewed. Toppings and others are great as well. I'd love a Purifi someday. But under $1K, I'm not seeing many amps with this power, specs, and bridgeable compete with this $200 bargain amp?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it'd be fun to test 2 desktop DACs that were highly regarded back around 10 years ago. If there's interest I can provide:

1. Arcam rPAC https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/rpac/review
2. Audioengine D1 https://www.whathifi.com/audioengine/d1/review (others have asked for that, too)

I have replaced them both with JDS Labs Element 3, but from a pure SQ point of view I am not sure it makes a huge difference (I assume headphone power need dependent). It'd be interesting to see how much difference there is.

FWIW after quick messaging w/Amir, his efforts are better spent on more recent equipment. :)

If their published specs are correct, the best we could have expected (provided my conservative calculations are correct) are SINAD of 94 (Arcam rPAC) and 92 (Audioengine D1), which would put them at least in the "orange medium performer" category in the DAC SINAD ranks.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Would like opinions on my set-up. Running a sundown audio salt 400.2 pushing 4 sundown audio neo pro 6.5 an 2 bassrockers marine 6.5's. Sundown sia 3500 to a massive Audio hippo xl 122 sub.i have a phd art 2150 an another salt 400.2. A sfb 1000.4, ds18 exl sq 1000.4 and a 600.2. Needing advice on what I should use for best sq.i also have 2 dc audio 6.5 subs,a nvx xad 21. Other equipment that I have ct sounds meso 6.5,massive Audio m6r, LORD OF BASS 6.5 THAT ARE 5.4 OHMS,AN DS18 SQ SET,WITH 2 TWEETS,2 MID WOOFERS,2 COAXIAL SPEAKERS. INSTALLING IN A 2012 KIA OPTIMA SX. I HAVE 72 SQ.FT OF SOUN DAMPENING PLUS QUATER INCH ALUMINUM BACK FOAM IN IT.THE INNERSIDE OF OUTER PANELS, BOTH SIDES OF MIDDLE PANELS AND INSIDE OF DOOR PANELS ARE ALL COVERED WITH SOUNDPROOFING. RUN NEW 14 GAUGE OFC WIRE TO THE DOORS, 2 RUNS PER DOOR,, INPUT AND RECOMMENDATIONS ARE MOST WELCOME AND WANTED. CAUSE I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT, HOW TO USE WHAT I HAVE. IM WANTING A LOUD SQ SYSTEM. I have a expert px1 dsp an a dd audio ds1 dsp. PLEASE HELP. IM NOT A NOOB, JUST BEENV20+ YRS SINCE I'VE DONE INSTALL.i made my own sub enclosure, it is a labyrinth design. Tuned to 40 hrz. Plays really low an load.I HAVE ACCUIRED A LOT OF EQUIPMENT FOR THIS PROJECT. AGAIN PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE. BERNEE69.
Afraid this is like really the wrong forum also please use paragraphs and capitalisation this is borderline unreadable.

ChrisG

I have a Crown MA5002VZ, which might be interesting. I use it when speakers present a particularly challenging load, but most of the time it's unused.
Shipping wouldn't be cheap, and I hope Amir's load bank is up to the task.

I also have some Powersoft T-series amplifiers which might be worth trying, but those get used more frequently for PA stuff, so a quicker turnaround would be needed.

Any interest?

Chris

Top Bottom