• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We measure audio equipment for free!!!

asrUser

I got the Sivga SV021 aka Robin in black colour. I use AutoEq for it which sounds ok, but I feel like you could make them even better. Is there anybody with with the same headphones wanting an Eq profile made by amirm? I'd like to send my headphones to him, but I got no response. :confused:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be very interested in a review of the audio performance of a USB docking station. (Typically these use DisplayLink chipsets). It would be great to see how much improvement can be gained by using a separate USB DAC compared to the standard 3.5mm headphone jack.

I have a Lenovo DU9019D1 sitting in a drawer and use a Targus DOCK180EUZ daily. I would be willing to ship the Lenovo one, however, I'm in the U.K. and I expect a similar USB 3.0 dock could be sourced locally for a very minimal outlay (you may even already have one).

What do you think?

Keened

Forum Donor
@-Matt-
The answer is everything is very noisy for the Lenovo docks I've used. Noisy enough that it even makes video output problematic if you're running it through convertors. I thought it was the power supply to to dock, swapped those out for various models, tried doing battery only, etc.

-Matt-

Thanks Keened,

Yeah, noisy is what I expect; I just thought it would be nice to have a measurement of exactly how bad it is!

I.e. How many dB of SINAD can one gain by adding, for example, a Topping D10 or E30?

Also it would be nice for me (and potentially for others) to put a number to this (poor) level of performance, in order to build a mental picture of how SINAD numbers map to perceived audio quality. A USB dock is likely a sound quality reference that is available to many people.

-Matt-

Thinking about it... I know he already has a lot on his plate but...

IMHO it could be a good subject for one of Amir's videos. Select a few different DACs, each with a different level of SINAD performance ranging from bad to good to excellent - play samples from each and then describe/highlight the audible differences (with reference to the measurements).

(USB dock could likely be the bad example).

Last edited:

modulardesign

Audio Company
Hi I would like to submit one of these for load testing with 8,4 and 2 Ohms dummy load testing to verify voltage behavior with a 500va and a 600va transformer
poweramp_pic.png

modulardesign

Audio Company
Hi I would like to submit one of these for latency testing of DC detection response
protect.png

wisechoice

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a used SPL Volume8 that will be drop shipped to Amir for testing, after egging myself on with the help of others in this thread:

Looking forward to seeing how it measures!
Review just posted by Amir! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/spl-volume8-review.34870/

k_sze

Is there anybody who does measurements in Hong Kong? I have a pair of on-ear headphones from literally decades ago. There is no brand information or anything. And I'm just curious how they performs compared to modern headphones.

I don't want to ship them anywhere because I think these were my grandpas, so I'd prefer if I can meet up with somebody who does measurements in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

BicycleJoe

Amir how are you doing, I was wondering where you are located and if you have ever done measurements on cryogenic tubes vs the original manufacturers tubes before cryogenic treatment?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Amir how are you doing, I was wondering where you are located and if you have ever done measurements on cryogenic tubes vs the original manufacturers tubes before cryogenic treatment?

Very nice.

Paging @mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I love the look of those cellular type horns. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought I had heard it all but I had not heard of this!

EL_PW

Forum Donor
Perhaps that's where "The Audio Truth" lies?

Cryogenic treated tubes of course being so accessible, like a Cryogenic Lattes!

(actually cryo-lattes may not be a bad idea. Served up by strippers and charged at a Super Premium.)

You'd pay $10 for a stripper to serve you a Cryo-Latte wouldn't you?

Sure you would.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never understood it (I’ve seen cryro-treated cables). What happens when it thaws and goes back to room temp?

In a nutshell, reducing an object’s temperature to -300ºF re-arranges its molecular structure, creating greater uniformity that results in longer life and better performance than when the product was initially designed.

With vacuum tubes, this process has been claimed by some to have a profound impact on a tube’s ability to endure thermal shock, and improve both life and sound quality.

Upscale Audio does not make any claims. But we have many regular customers that demanded we make Cryogenically treated tubes available. We've done so by offering the best cryo treating service at a fraction of what others charge.

• Increases abrasive wear resistance
  • Requires only one permanent treatment
  • Creates a denser molecular structure
  • Produces a larger contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear
  • Changes the equipment’s entire structure, not just the surface
  • Subsequent refinishing operations or re-grinds do not affect permanent improvements.
  • Eliminates Thermal shock through a dry, computer controlled process.
  • Transforms almost all soft retained austenite to hard martensite.
  • Forms microfine carbide fillers to enhance large carbide structures
  • Increases durability or wear life (yet to be verified in tubes, but it is verified in many other parts including tools, racecar engines, and firearms).
  • Decreases residual stresses in tool steels
  • Decreases brittleness (this does not mean sonic brittleness)
  • Increases tensile strength, toughness and stability coupled with the release of internal stresses

Top Bottom